Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Quick Response Please...Should I Close Tomorrow? Son with Diarrhea
kendallina 08:06 PM 08-30-2020
Hoping for quick responses...

My own 4-yr old son had diarrhea tonight. For daycare families I would require the child to stay home until diarrhea free for 24 hours.

In a normal year I would inform families and then let my son watch TV as much as he wanted tomorrow (yeh, not great) as a means of separating as much as possible.

BUT, this year I feel like I should close tomorrow and watch him. I'm sure he's probably fine, no contact with anyone who has covid that we know, but he's been (masked) in a few stores with me.

He, very occasionally can have a sensitive stomach to dairy but it doesn't usually present in this way. He had a normal BM after lunch, per usual, then this evening had three bouts of literal water poop (like, clear with a little bit of yellow). Sorry, TMI. He was eating and playing fine.

Would you close?

Ugh...I had a bunch of new families just start last week!
Michael 10:15 PM 08-30-2020
I think you should close. These days with COVID your families would understand.
DaveA 03:11 AM 08-31-2020
I would close and do an extra cleaning. Good luck.
kendallina 05:17 AM 08-31-2020
Thank you for weighing in guys. You're right, I decided to close. I hate this.
Blackcat31 07:03 AM 08-31-2020
Originally Posted by kendallina:
Thank you for weighing in guys. You're right, I decided to close. I hate this.
I think you did the right thing. Hopefully, your son is feeling better soon and hopefully your families were understanding.

I also think it's good for them to see you sticking to the illness policies you expect them to follow. In a weird way I think it makes them more respectful about it all together.

Well wishes to your son!
kendallina 07:14 PM 08-31-2020
Thanks Black cat and everyone! He was fine all day. Opening back up tomorrow.

I got my bathrooms and bedrooms scrubbed and took a nap...lol. Once the guilt dissipated, it was a pretty good day .
Josiegirl 03:22 AM 09-01-2020
Glad he's feeling better!!
I think that type of thing is going to be happening a lot this next year. Schools will be calling to send students home more often, so will dcs and centers, everyone will be on high alert and not wanting to be exposed to anything questionable.
Glad you got over your guilt.
kendallina 10:19 AM 09-01-2020
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Glad he's feeling better!!
I think that type of thing is going to be happening a lot this next year. Schools will be calling to send students home more often, so will dcs and centers, everyone will be on high alert and not wanting to be exposed to anything questionable.
Glad you got over your guilt.
Because of my son's diarrhea I kept my 11-yr old DD home from school. In their policies this year we're to keep them home if ANY family member has fever, headache, diarrhea, cough, etc etc. I'm sure it's super inconvenient for a lot of parents but I think it's smart and hopefully it helps keep this at bay.
Tags:diarrhea policy, provider children - illness
Reply Up