Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>AHHH CT Department Of Public Health You Are Driving Me Crazy!
jokalima 03:22 PM 06-19-2012
How are the rules/regulations in other states?

I want to hire some one to help me right? I really need it, well the thing is that today I called to get some info on hiring staff, I was told that I cannot have a person until that person had fill and application and been approved, I can understand that, what I cannot understand is how they expect me to get some help if they have to wait more than 3 months to get approved? I mean, I can't tell someone that is looking for a job to wait 3 months or more it does not make any sense. In DCC they don't do it like that, people can start working and do all the paperwork in the process.

Any Ideas, suggestions? I am the type of person that likes to do things the right way but I feel that I have no other choice than to start with someone under the table... What are your thoughts? Experience with this?
Lilbutterflie 03:33 PM 06-19-2012
I don't have any experience with this as I have a small home daycare & I am the only one, but I definitely think that sounds ridiculous!! Something about that just doesn't seem right! Have you called again & again to verify? Surely it cannot take THREE months for them to approve someone as an assistant!
cheerfuldom 03:35 PM 06-19-2012
Can they start working once the approval process has started? there has got to be some way around this because a 3 month waiting period is just not going to happen
jokalima 03:58 PM 06-19-2012
No, I just called today and she told me that I would get fined if someone works here w/out being approved 1st, and I told her that they are taking to much time to get people approved and she said that she was aware of it but nothing could be done

I know this because my aunt sent an application in March for substitute, still waiting, I call every week and they say is still in process I have a friend who submitted another application for another home DC and the same thing. Is just so upsetting.

Then I asked her if the person could start as a volunteer, because back in January a student ask to volunteer here and I called the regulation dept. to clear it with them, they told me she could come and work with me and did not need to fill any papers, medical, nothing not even background check, they did tell me that, so I ask today if the person could start as a volunteer and the answer is that I was breaking the law back in January because someone misinformed me about the volunteer situation.

I remember that the persona on the phone back in Jan. told me that in the regulations there was nothing specific about volunteers in HDC and that because of that they would let me have a volunteer. So maybe I should call tomorrow an mention that to them, that there is nothing on the regulations that is specific about this and I should not be punished for trying to get help.
Will I get in to trouble if I push it?
daycare 03:58 PM 06-19-2012
i was told that in ca that the person has to have all of the same qualifications that I have. Therefore, we have to wait for them to pass all of the backgrounds and take all of the necessary classes or find someone who already has all of these things.......Thats a lot to have to find from someone and yes it will all take time....

Is there anyone else that can help you in the mean time? My husband will help me because he already has all of the necessary qualifications. Then I will either try to find someone with all of the requirements or hire someone that will have to go through the process.
jokalima 04:12 PM 06-19-2012
Yes, those same requirements, but if is a helper they dont need to be CPR/1st Aid or anything, just background check and medical. But the thing is that lets say my sister works in a Center, and lives with me, she did her background check and physical for when I opened the DC and for when she started her job in DCC,well they don't count those ones. They say is a new application so she has to do all new again, does not matter that she is at this time working in a center approved by them, it is a new application so she has to start from zero. So trying to find some one with my same qualifications is not helping at all because they tell them the same thing the told my sister. The lady on the phone tells me they just want to make money with every application, so sad for me.
daycare 04:31 PM 06-19-2012
Originally Posted by jokalima:
Yes, those same requirements, but if is a helper they dont need to be CPR/1st Aid or anything, just background check and medical. But the thing is that lets say my sister works in a Center, and lives with me, she did her background check and physical for when I opened the DC and for when she started her job in DCC,well they don't count those ones. They say is a new application so she has to do all new again, does not matter that she is at this time working in a center approved by them, it is a new application so she has to start from zero. So trying to find some one with my same qualifications is not helping at all because they tell them the same thing the told my sister. The lady on the phone tells me they just want to make money with every application, so sad for me.
i know it sucks huh....

I don't think that it is only a money thing. I was told that it was because agencies that do background checks do not communicate with others. My sister is a teacher and I still had to have her redo all of her stuff so that she can visit me in the summer time..... STINKS
DaisyMamma 10:41 AM 07-20-2012
You need to find someone who is already approved to work in a CT daycare.
Tags:connecticut, department of public health
Reply Up