Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Oh, How Nice Of You DCM...
DaisyMamma 09:39 AM 02-05-2014
To bring everyone juice boxes and brownies...
When its 20 degrees out with 12" of snow/ice and we can't go outside....
MotherNature 10:07 AM 02-05-2014
I don't get it. why's that a bad thing? Is it b/c they may have excess energy they can't burn off? Mom probably didn't even think of that; she probably thought it'd be a nice thing to do. I'd be thrilled if a mom provided snacks. We don't do a lot of sweets or juice here, but once in a while it'd be nice, especially if a parent is providing them.
Msdunny 10:21 AM 02-05-2014
I would take them, then use them as our end-of-day snacks. I don't think I would want the extra energy they would provide in the morning, especially when you can't go outside. But in the afternoon, when all that extra energy can get used up in the going home transition? Bring it on!
daycarediva 10:38 AM 02-05-2014
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
I would take them, then use them as our end-of-day snacks. I don't think I would want the extra energy they would provide in the morning, especially when you can't go outside. But in the afternoon, when all that extra energy can get used up in the going home transition? Bring it on!

DaisyMamma 10:41 AM 02-05-2014
Right on!

Heidi 10:41 AM 02-05-2014
me too!

And..I'd be sure to tell all the other parents. "It was so nice of dck's mom to bring brownies and juice boxes for snack today".
Josiegirl 11:04 AM 02-05-2014
Brownies? Really? I'd cut them in halves, no make that into quarters, give each child a quarter and save the rest for yourself for after work.
SilverSabre25 11:10 AM 02-05-2014
Mmmm....juice and brownies sounds fantastic. I think I may go bake some brownies for snack.

Seriously I think possibly you're looking a gift horse in the mouth here. And cutting them into quarters doesn't sound fair.

Sometimes i think people take the "healthy snacks" thing WAY too far.
crazydaycarelady 11:23 AM 02-05-2014
My parents regularly bring snacks and I love it. I always post a picture and a thank you on my daycare fb page. I always serve them for afternoon snack too!
sahm1225 11:47 AM 02-05-2014
I have a horrible sweet tooth and it's a running joke with my dcf to make sure if they send something that there's enough for me!

I would've had a big piece of brownie with the kids and then danced the morning away.

We eat healthy at daycare all the time so i don't see the harm in a little sugar snack every once in a while.
Crazy8 11:54 AM 02-05-2014
I think that was a really sweet thing of her to do and certainly wouldn't complain about it. We've been stuck inside a lot lately and I've done tons of extra baking, etc. just for something to do and to have some sweets/snacks in the house for the kids.

We always save the treats for birthdays/special occasions for afternoon snack though. Not because I am trying to put it on the parents, but it just seems the most logical time since they have 5+ hours till bedtime at that point.

I would thank mom for the treats and enjoy one or two myself during nap time.
Meyou 11:55 AM 02-05-2014
That sounds like a perfect end of day snack. I agree with you, silver. I'm the first one to deprive the kids of anything processed or sugary but a treat is a treat and that's ok. I bake cookies or brownies every Friday for my munchkins.
SunnyDay 12:05 PM 02-05-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Brownies? Really? I'd cut them in halves, no make that into quarters, give each child a quarter and save the rest for yourself for after work.

Lil'DinoEggs 02:16 PM 02-05-2014
Amen! haha, I am one of those people who is pretty strict about treats and while i would profusely thank the parents, I would serve the juice and brownies (cut in half depending on size) at separate times and offer a fruit or veggie with the brownie. then save one...... or five for me in the morning with my cup of coffee
Josiegirl 03:36 PM 02-05-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Mmmm....juice and brownies sounds fantastic. I think I may go bake some brownies for snack.

Seriously I think possibly you're looking a gift horse in the mouth here. And cutting them into quarters doesn't sound fair.

When I said cut them in quarters I was kidding!
Cradle2crayons 05:33 PM 02-05-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

Honestly I'm with you on this. I do a lot of home grown veggies and even home grown chickens, beef, etc etc. Mainly because my family owns a huge farm and garden business lol.

But I do give juice sometimes, even sweet tea (this is the south ya no?), and I've even given them juice boxes and gasp Capri suns on field trips etc and gasp even a little Debbie occasionally. Considering what most of them eat at home, any minor change is good for them lol.

I was never allowed to bea. Kid in ANY respect and I refuse to repeat history. There is a place and time for junk and juice and Kool aid.
Lucy 06:17 PM 02-05-2014
Ha! I have done this!!! Sometimes they bring stuff that's so yummy that I cut the kids' pieces small so that there's some left for me!! LOL

I also had a mom one time who treated us to two Domino's pizza being delivered here one day for lunch during Spring Break. I was so happy about the nice gesture! I have all school-agers, and the 10 yr old boy had 4 pieces, the bigger girls had 3 each, and even the Kinders had 2 each! I had 2 myself - I hope she expected ME to eat with them!! Anyway, it was totally gone.

When she got here, she actually wanted the leftovers so her husband could pack them for lunch the next day!! I was shocked she would even ask. I thought it was rude. And secondly... look at the kids and their ages, then count the number of pieces in 2 medium pizzas. Do the math!! Even if I hadn't had 2 pieces, the kids would've eaten them. 2 or 3 of them asked if there was any left and I had to say no.

Tags:afternoon snack, snack foods
Reply Up