Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Did You Transition From Job To Home Daycare?
Unregistered 06:55 PM 09-12-2014
Did you work an evening job as you were starting up to ensure income? Or did you save $ and then open up one day? I work 3rd shift so i could cut back my weekly hours and still be ok. I've had so many inquiries even though in not advertising! (I'm listed at the R&R agency, on many websites, have a great webpage, and post new blog articles every Monday and do e-newsletters monthly.
JoseyJo 09:49 PM 09-12-2014
We started with 6 months income in savings. It was good to be able to focus on just the daycare.

That being said we were full within 1 month. Talk about being blessed!!! That first group was the best group of kids we ever had. All boys- all 18 months to 3.5 years. All of them off to school now and I still miss them!
Heidi 06:16 AM 09-13-2014
I actually had everything ready to go, and then quit my job once I had only 1 signed up. It was risky, but the job I had after closing my other business was not really making me much money as I had to drive almost 40 miles each way.

It's not like we don't need my income, but DH has a very good job, so we do, but we don't, kwim?
Blackcat31 06:59 AM 09-13-2014
I quit my job I August and opened my daycare in February of the following year so about 6 months of no additional income from me but my DH had a great job so he supported me in getting my business up and running.

After I was running in the black (about 3 months after opening) my DH quit his job and started his own business. I supported him while getting his business up and running.

It wasn't too costly for me to open my child care as I was already working in the field so I had a lot of the trainings already and had my own small kids so had tons of toys.

The biggest expense for us was the purchase of the actual daycare house but other than that...it wasn't much as most of the needed items were things I already owned or found easily through garage sales, consignment shops and friends.
craftymissbeth 11:09 AM 09-13-2014
I was fired from a job (health reasons) in December and opened my daycare in June of the next year. I opened with one child and $500 worth of supplies.

Luckily, with my husbands income we weren't totally drowning.
Crazy8 11:24 AM 09-13-2014
I was planning on opening a daycare when we moved into our new house. I was working full time at the time, planned on quitting after we closed on the house. I ended up getting let go 2 weeks before we were moving (talk about stressed!!!). So I was on unemployment when I was getting ready to open. When I got my first client (twins) I had to give up the unemployment pay so just got by on that till I got another kid or two. Things were tight with new mortgage so I got a part time job at night. It was for the company my DH worked for so they were pretty flexible and let me work a few nights a week from 6-10pm. I loved it because it got me out of the house and I talked to adults for a change, but I had to give it up when my own kids started getting involved in evening activities.
SignMeUp 11:38 AM 09-13-2014
I'd wanted to do child care for several years, had bought toys and equipment but didn't have the guts to quit my "real" job.
Then I bought a house one month, had a baby the next month, and went back to an office job two months later. I wasn't happy there any more, so I applied for my license, continued at the job for four months while getting everything ready to be licensed.
Ended the office job one month, opened my daycare the first of the next month completely full with kids from another program where the provider was on vacation.
By the time she was back, I'd interviewed a bunch of families, and had my own enrollment schedule full.
DaveA 04:05 PM 09-13-2014
I started planning 9 months before opening. Saving $, buying supplies & equipment, and starting licensing process. The first 5 months I still worked Ft at a center, the last 4 months I was PT 3 days/ week. I started with 1 child & 2 committed to starting in a month. By 3 months in I was full.
e.j. 07:10 PM 09-13-2014
While I was still working full time, I set up a play room in my home and spread the word that I was planning to open a day care business out of my home. Co-workers expressed interest and as soon as soon as I had enough families who committed to sign on, I gave my 2 week notice. I left that job on a Friday and started my day care the following Monday.
earlystart 11:19 PM 09-13-2014
I continued to work my regular job during the 3 months it took to set up, get licensed and get a couple families to sign up. I was only working about 20 hours a week though. I think I had one full time family and 2-3 part time families signed on when I gave my 2 week notice at work, then got another family to sign up within the next 2 weeks, so I was nearly full when I opened. So luckily I didn't have a gap in income, because I didn't have any savings. I had just planned to keep working until I had enough families signed up that would replace my part time wages. I think it was a mixture of luck and the time of year (Fall) that I was able to get so many families so quickly (got my license September 9th, which is when I started advertising, and opened October 8th).
Cat Herder 08:27 AM 09-14-2014
6 months expense savings, collected supplies for previous 12 months, pre-enrolled prior to opening.
spinnymarie 05:05 PM 09-14-2014
We can do 1 family unlicensed, so I had a group of 4 siblings the same ages as my kids for a year while getting set up, remodeling and getting licensing for a large group home. I was on maternity leave when I secured the 1 family to come, and notified my job I would not be returning.
ashleyh 06:02 PM 09-14-2014
I was a SAHM. I was pregnant with my second and waited until about 8 weeks after he born. I got everything started with DHS and small things like extra toys, paperwork etc and advertised an opening date. Within a couple of weeks we were full with a couple of employees. I advertised everywhere, library, craigslist, Facebook swaps, in person, banks, etc.

Because we didn't have my extra income my grandfather helped out with some of the starting costs. Over time I spent the money in places that had to be spent and no where else. It was hard because I didn't actually get paid much until the turn of the year but totally worth it.
Tags:transitioning- to home daycare
Reply Up