Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Crafts: What Do You Do?
KristinsHomeCC 05:22 AM 11-30-2015
Hey guys!

So I've been up and running since June. This whole time, I've been saving all the childrens artwork and crafts to put in a "yearbook" binder in page protectors. Also maybe some scrapbook paper with pictures throughout the year. These would be sent home before xmas break as a gift to the parents.

Now I'm feeling as its cheesy. Or weird? Do the parents want the crafts and artwork at the time the kids make it? I wonder this because we madecute footprint turkeys last week, but parents won't see it really or have it until xmas break, LOL!

Normally I hang up the artwork on a string going from wall end to wall end and put it away once it starts making its way to the back and more new go in front.

What do you do??
Baby Beluga 05:36 AM 11-30-2015
I send whatever art or crafts the kids do home every day.
Thriftylady 05:42 AM 11-30-2015
I typically send it home as we go. Right now the exception is the Christmas ornaments they are painting. They are each painting two today (except kids who were here yesterday and not today they did theirs then). One will go home right before Christmas, and the other I will keep. Their names and the date on on the back.
auntymimi 06:41 AM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I send whatever art or crafts the kids do home every day.
I do this as well, unless the child chooses to put it up on the wall, then I send home at the end of the month
midaycare 07:17 AM 11-30-2015
I think it's a cute idea. Just because they don't have it by Thanksgiving doesn't mean it's not worth anything.
NillaWafers 07:19 AM 11-30-2015
I send home as we go. For my own kids I end up throwing it away cus I am not a sentimental person. ok I have some guilt but SO MUCH ART.
mommiebookworm 07:57 AM 11-30-2015
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
I send home as we go. For my own kids I end up throwing it away cus I am not a sentimental person. ok I have some guilt but SO MUCH ART.
I feel bad, but if I kept every scrap of paper that my 5 year old drew on, we would need a bigger house! I keep her really good ones in a binder.
childcaremom 08:36 AM 11-30-2015
Ha ha, this is me, too. I have 4 kids and a smaller house. Yeah, lost the sentiment a LONG time and MANY pieces of artwork ago. I have a few tucked away but that is it.

As far as daycare goes, I hang it for a few days in the playroom and then send home. I am process oriented (no crafts) and a lot of it doesn't even make it home.
Controlled Chaos 09:12 AM 11-30-2015
I send most art work home daily but I am making a school year binder for each child that I will send home in May. I do specific handprint, prek tracing activities and journal a few sentences next to a picture of the child each month. I throw out most art my kids make but I would keep a compilation like this - hope the parents like it, this the first year I am trying it.
daycarediva 09:21 AM 11-30-2015
Yup. I now take pictures of their art, and then I put them in a photo book when I have a bunch.

I send home art as we go, and crafts the last day the child will attend before the holiday break. Eg. Wed I sent home a bag the kids decorated as a turkey, with their thanksgiving crafts inside.
midaycare 11:01 AM 11-30-2015
So think about what a cool idea the binder would be then. Already organized for you and easy storage. I would love it, OP!
Unregistered 05:21 PM 11-30-2015
I hang it up for about two weeks and then send it home.
284878 04:23 AM 12-01-2015
I had a foster boy that had a book of art work that was given to his mom during p/t conference at school. Everyday he would day draw or scribble on page and they would ask him about it writing down what it was on the page, stick it in the folder. His mom was so thrilled to get it, she would not put it down.
Tags:christmas crafts, crafts, ornaments
Reply Up