Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cabinet Locks
storybookending 12:24 PM 02-14-2018
Just wondering if anyone knows if they make such a thing that I am looking for. I have the standard cabinet locks on all my my kitchen cabinets/drawers that screw into the door/drawer and you push down to open that sort of “catch” on the base part of the cabinet/drawer. I was wondering if anyone has or can point me in the direction on where I can find some more of these but longer if they make such a thing? I can only find the short standards ones and I have two drawers on my entertainment center in the living room where the part that the locks are supposed to “catch” on are too thick so if it’s on and the drawer is shut there’s only about enough room to get one finger on the point where you are supposed to push down to unlatch it and it’s not enough to get it to push down far enough to have it “uncatch” and open the drawer. If anyone could follow what I’m talking about and knows where I can possibly find longer ones I would appreciate it.

These are the ones I’m talking about
https://www.ebay.com/p/Safety-1st-Wi...d=111992043466
Blackcat31 01:00 PM 02-14-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Just wondering if anyone knows if they make such a thing that I am looking for. I have the standard cabinet locks on all my my kitchen cabinets/drawers that screw into the door/drawer and you push down to open that sort of “catch” on the base part of the cabinet/drawer. I was wondering if anyone has or can point me in the direction on where I can find some more of these but longer if they make such a thing? I can only find the short standards ones and I have two drawers on my entertainment center in the living room where the part that the locks are supposed to “catch” on are too thick so if it’s on and the drawer is shut there’s only about enough room to get one finger on the point where you are supposed to push down to unlatch it and it’s not enough to get it to push down far enough to have it “uncatch” and open the drawer. If anyone could follow what I’m talking about and knows where I can possibly find longer ones I would appreciate it.

Would these work?

Another extra long option here

My DH installed these (photo below) when I first opened. I've never had to replace a single one and they do their job! I think they are worth it! You can make them so they don't lock if you wanted to so the option is there in case someone installs them and then stops providing care.

sharlan 02:20 PM 02-14-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Would these work?

My DH installed these (photo below) when I first opened. I've never had to replace a single one and they do their job! I think they are worth it! You can make them so they don't lock if you wanted to so the option is there in case someone installs them and then stops providing care.

BC - that is what I have ( magnetic tot locks). I was told to remove them as CA feels they're unsafe.
Blackcat31 03:04 PM 02-14-2018
Originally Posted by sharlan:
BC - that is what I have ( magnetic tot locks). I was told to remove them as CA feels they're unsafe.
I wonder what they think is unsafe about them?

I love them!
My licensor LOVES them and tells all new providers about them!

CA is weird.
Country Kids 03:15 PM 02-14-2018
I found my newest one at Lowes! Much longer, thicker and studier. Love them as they don't break and quit latching.
storybookending 05:00 PM 02-14-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Would these work?

The first ones look the most promising so far

Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I found my newest one at Lowes! Much longer, thicker and studier. Love them as they don't break and quit latching.
I might have to check Lowe’s the next time I am in a town that has one. We don’t really have one close here. The drawers I want closed don’t have anything in them that need to be locked up so it’s no rush just looking at options
TooManyKitties 07:27 PM 02-14-2018
For real, CA doesn’t like the magnet ones? I thought a long time CA provider recently said her licensor wanted that kind now. That’s the style I was planning on installing when I open. Maybe that’s a regional/county difference?
LittleExplorers 07:26 AM 02-15-2018
For those with magnets, what do you use for drawers? We are about to remodel our kitchen and looking for a good option. The magnets look awesome for the cupboards.
Blackcat31 07:40 AM 02-15-2018
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
For those with magnets, what do you use for drawers?
The locks work for both cupboards and drawers.

From the link above:

• Cabinet Security system (5 locks and 2 keys)
• Locks are installed on the inside of the cabinet and only the special magnetic key opens each of the locks
• Perfect to keep valuable locked away or to keep children out of cabinets
• Rev-A-Lock Cabinet Security System
Works on cabinet doors and drawers
LittleExplorers 09:59 AM 02-15-2018
Thanks, I missed that part.
LostMyMarbles 02:11 PM 02-15-2018
Maybe I'm just being a ding dong but can't you buy them on the link that you shared with us?
Donna34 01:43 AM 08-18-2020

I have the same locks as you.
I don't know, change them or not
storybookending 03:39 PM 08-18-2020
Hi. This thread is old. I never did end up finding longer ones than the ones that I had but the magnet locks BC posted (I think I went with a different brand but same concept) worked in the places that the push down tab ones were too short.
Blackcat31 06:55 PM 08-18-2020
Hi. This thread is old. I never did end up finding longer ones than the ones that I had but the magnet locks BC posted (I think I went with a different brand but same concept) worked in the places that the push down tab ones were too short.
Mine are still working perfectly!
lovemykidstoo 05:13 AM 08-21-2020
What did CA not like about the magnet. I loved them!!! Loved the feature that after daycare hours I could deactivate them so my family didn't have to deal with childproof doors and drawers.
flying_babyb 08:07 AM 08-22-2020
we have the magnet ones. Just some random advice: Buy extra magnets! We have one on our changing table, and one on the cabnates. We keep a magnet on the table and one by the cabnate. YEP! they go missing all the time (and Im THAT teacher, the one who changes the kids standing up, puts the magnet on the diaper shelf, then shuts the door ))
Blackcat31 08:40 AM 08-22-2020
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
we have the magnet ones. Just some random advice: Buy extra magnets! We have one on our changing table, and one on the cabnates. We keep a magnet on the table and one by the cabnate. YEP! they go missing all the time (and Im THAT teacher, the one who changes the kids standing up, puts the magnet on the diaper shelf, then shuts the door ))

I baked mine once

It stuck to the cookie sheet pan and I didn’t know it until I smelled the melting burning plastic as it baked in the oven.

We went and bought 3 new ones. One to use and 2 spares ..... just in case
284878 11:35 AM 08-22-2020
You can use regular but strong magnets to open those too.
Tags:baby safety, cabinet locks, cabinets, locked doors
Reply Up