Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kindergarten Readiness
midaycare 06:40 PM 08-24-2015
So... I automatically do a preschool curriculum with all enrolled kids here. I am only allowed 6 in my state.

A mom here tonight who has the oldest child here (3 years, 4 months), starting asking me questions about being ready for kindergarten. All very kindly. She just wants to make sure dcg is prepared very well.

Well ... I *think* I have everything covered, but being so new, I don't really know, since I've never sent any dck's to kindergarten yet.

Would anyone care to share with me how you make sure the kids are "ready"? This could be any aspect of it ... Fine motor, gross motor, emotionally, speech, anything. I would appreciate some help from the pros!
nannyde 07:02 PM 08-24-2015
Ask her specifically what curriculum they use at home first. You need to make sure they are getting her ready. It's not your job to get a kid ready for kindy unless you are being paid for schooling in addition to her daycare tuition.
midaycare 07:07 PM 08-24-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Ask her specifically what curriculum they use at home first. You need to make sure they are getting her ready. It's not your job to get a kid ready for kindy unless you are being paid for schooling in addition to her daycare tuition.
I understand this train of thought. I think I could charge more ... at age 4 - preschool age here. Right now parents pay to cover the cost of the curriculum I teach. Indirectly because I charge them more than others who don't use a curriculum.
kendallina 07:25 PM 08-24-2015
You could check your state's department of education's website. They should have info on kinder readiness, Ohio's has a very detailed list.

Of course these lists do not focus enough on the social and emotional factors that we all know are SOOO important, so don't forget those. I also have found out that FINE MOTOR skills are almost more important than anything they put on the list. Keeping those things in mind, check the list.

BUT, at age 3-1/2 there really isn't much you could/should be doing except exposing her letters/numbers/etc. It isn't really appropriate to drill her on them or anything. Let her play, give her puzzles, read to her, rhyme with her. Give her playdough and other fine motor tasks. I don't start much with them until they're 4 AND ready.
Thriftylady 07:52 PM 08-24-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
This. Sadly it is starting to seem to me that the parents who worry most about things are the ones that want someone else to do it all.
Controlled Chaos 10:31 PM 08-24-2015
I charge enough extra to cover the expectation of kindergarten readiness I emailed a few local kindy teachers in my district last year and the school mailed me their kindergarten intake assessment packet they use for incoming kindergarteners. It's how they place them in different reading and math groups etc. if you want to pm me I can message you some of my curriculum info and skill goals
spinnymarie 07:32 AM 08-25-2015
The common core standards for Kindergarten show what the kids should be doing by the END of that year. They include writing a paragraph, on topic, using correct punctuation, and reading at a level 3 (DRA score, there are different ways to score).
To have a good start, I make sure kids can write first and last name, cut on a straight or curved line, know all colors and shapes. We also work towards: knowing all the letters in the alphabet, including upper, lower, and sounds. Can read several or more high frequency words: a, I, if, in, it, you, and, the (etc). Can count to 25 or more, can count backward from 5, can recognize numbers to 10, can write numbers to 10. Can count objects to 10 (1-1). Can point at words 1-1 while I read them. Know the parts of a book and how to look at the pictures to 'read' it. Reading very simple books with songs or with one word at the bottom of the page.
Not to mention the social skills
mommyneedsadayoff 08:26 AM 08-25-2015
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
The common core standards for Kindergarten show what the kids should be doing by the END of that year. They include writing a paragraph, on topic, using correct punctuation, and reading at a level 3 (DRA score, there are different ways to score).
To have a good start, I make sure kids can write first and last name, cut on a straight or curved line, know all colors and shapes. We also work towards: knowing all the letters in the alphabet, including upper, lower, and sounds. Can read several or more high frequency words: a, I, if, in, it, you, and, the (etc). Can count to 25 or more, can count backward from 5, can recognize numbers to 10, can write numbers to 10. Can count objects to 10 (1-1). Can point at words 1-1 while I read them. Know the parts of a book and how to look at the pictures to 'read' it. Reading very simple books with songs or with one word at the bottom of the page.
I just dropped my kid off at his first day of kindergarten and after reading this list, I am so worried he will not do well! There are quite a few of those things he cannot do, so I hope he picks it up quickly. I guess I am just a worried mom I miss him already
midaycare 08:36 AM 08-25-2015
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
That is very helpful, thank you!
midaycare 08:37 AM 08-25-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I charge enough extra to cover the expectation of kindergarten readiness I emailed a few local kindy teachers in my district last year and the school mailed me their kindergarten intake assessment packet they use for incoming kindergarteners. It's how they place them in different reading and math groups etc. if you want to pm me I can message you some of my curriculum info and skill goals
Great idea! I know several Young 5 and Kindergarten teachers here
midaycare 08:38 AM 08-25-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
This. Sadly it is starting to seem to me that the parents who worry most about things are the ones that want someone else to do it all.
I wouldn't have thought to ask ds's dcp to do anything other than provide a safe place. But now...and in this town... It is expected
midaycare 08:40 AM 08-25-2015
Originally Posted by kendallina:
You could check your state's department of education's website. They should have info on kinder readiness, Ohio's has a very detailed list.

Of course these lists do not focus enough on the social and emotional factors that we all know are SOOO important, so don't forget those. I also have found out that FINE MOTOR skills are almost more important than anything they put on the list. Keeping those things in mind, check the list.

BUT, at age 3-1/2 there really isn't much you could/should be doing except exposing her letters/numbers/etc. It isn't really appropriate to drill her on them or anything. Let her play, give her puzzles, read to her, rhyme with her. Give her playdough and other fine motor tasks. I don't start much with them until they're 4 AND ready.
Good to know. So I shouldn't feel "behind" then since I haven't started much teaching towards kindy yet. Just what the curriculum I have calls for, and lots and lots of play!
Blackcat31 08:55 AM 08-25-2015
Being prepared for Kindy means different things to different people.

I teach and focus on self help skills, independence, patience, positive social skills, conflict management, verbal communication, honesty, dependability and responsibility.

If a child knows, understands and practices those skills, they ARE ready for Kindy in my opinion. The academic stuff can't come before that or there will be issues.

I do teach/use a curriculum but I don't force it, advertise it or require additional payment for it.

Parents all know, understand and usually have the same philosophies as I do in this area.
Annalee 09:16 AM 08-25-2015

My state has a kindergarten readiness flyer on the education website also. At the beginning of school the kindys will take a "brigance test"....It is overwhelming to a new child and they are being told they can go outside when they finish Of course it is letters, numbers, shapes, etc...but it is also body parts like heel, jaw, etc....so we work particularly on the parts that are not so much talked about....Also, if they get all 26 letters but miss one, they are discredited alot. And when they draw their little person, it has to have all body parts....neck, heel, jaw, etc or they get discounted there as well....not fair and I prepare my clients emotionally for this test because we, as parents, want our kids to excel....their child may score well or not, but it will still be ok.......my own sons teachers told me when they entered kindy the teachers never look at the test again after the first initial confrerence with parents....the test just gives a baseline for them to go on.
midaycare 10:19 AM 08-25-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
My state has a kindergarten readiness flyer on the education website also. At the beginning of school the kindys will take a "brigance test"....It is overwhelming to a new child and they are being told they can go outside when they finish Of course it is letters, numbers, shapes, etc...but it is also body parts like heel, jaw, etc....so we work particularly on the parts that are not so much talked about....Also, if they get all 26 letters but miss one, they are discredited alot. And when they draw their little person, it has to have all body parts....neck, heel, jaw, etc or they get discounted there as well....not fair and I prepare my clients emotionally for this test because we, as parents, want our kids to excel....their child may score well or not, but it will still be ok.......my own sons teachers told me when they entered kindy the teachers never look at the test again after the first initial confrerence with parents....the test just gives a baseline for them to go on.
Heel and jaw? Oh my word!
midaycare 10:21 AM 08-25-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I teach and focus on self help skills, independence, patience, positive social skills, conflict management, verbal communication, honesty, dependability and responsibility.

If a child knows, understands and practices those skills, they ARE ready for Kindy in my opinion. The academic stuff can't come before that or there will be issues.

I do teach/use a curriculum but I don't force it, advertise it or require additional payment for it.

Parents all know, understand and usually have the same philosophies as I do in this area.
Very good point. I try to do all of the above, but a child isn't going to do well in kindy if they don't have all of those down pat.
Annalee 10:24 AM 08-25-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Heel and jaw? Oh my word!
Right there with ya! My cousin's child was asked where his "jaw" was and he touched his face on the left side. The teacher discounted him....we had particularly worked on jaw because we knew the drill...but teacher still discounted it. I think perception and personalities of these teachers play into this game! And as far as his drawing, the teacher said he didn't have a head but my cousin asked to see the pic and the mom further told the teacher "you are an idiot, this pic looks like a 5 year old's drawing of a head and person's body"
Annalee 10:26 AM 08-25-2015

I agree with this and kindy teachers USED TO tell me if I could get children to listen and follow direction and be respectful to those around them, THEY could TEACH them...BUT core curriculum has changed that way of thinking. Kindergarten here is like they say it used to be in first grade, but I consider kindy here more like third grade!
kendallina 10:33 AM 08-25-2015
This is true...I hate the test, not sure if Ohio does the same one or not. Ours also has children identify coins on it! No one ever gets it right except for a few whose parents knew it would be on there ahead of time and drilled them on it...meaningless! Why would a 5-year old have to know what a dime is???
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:47 AM 08-25-2015
I always smile and say "I have never had a kidlet that hasn't been ready for kindergarten when it is time!"

Then if they want more I tell them that I believe play is the most important thing we do but that all school readiness concepts are covered in our play. More importantly, I give the child what they need when they need it. So, one child may be counting to 20 because numbers interested him, one may know all of the names of the dinosaurs, one maybe building a space ship... I feed interests. Because if a child learns to love learning new things he will be fine in school.

Then I give some stories to illustrate my point and move on.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:49 AM 08-25-2015
This is true...I hate the test, not sure if Ohio does the same one or not. Ours also has children identify coins on it! No one ever gets it right except for a few whose parents knew it would be on there ahead of time and drilled them on it...meaningless! Why would a 5-year old have to know what a dime is???
I had a bank tellers daughter- she knew all of her money!! But only because her mom gave her the names as they dropped coins in her bank. She didn't call it piggy food or anything. They were coins with names.
Annalee 10:55 AM 08-25-2015
I had several go to school this year and one did not know their letters, upper or lower case,...mom knew he wasn't ready and my opinion on the subject but they had a third baby....can't pay daycare but for 2. I feel bad for him because kindy will start quickly with reading and a child needs those letter recognition and sound of each letter skills. This child was a whiz on the computer but he appears to me to have "dyslexia"....everything jumbles up to him???? I assume his teachers will pick up on this as well.
Blackcat31 11:06 AM 08-25-2015
I agree with this and kindy teachers USED TO tell me if I could get children to listen and follow direction and be respectful to those around them, THEY could TEACH them...BUT core curriculum has changed that way of thinking. Kindergarten here is like they say it used to be in first grade, but I consider kindy here more like third grade!
It may have changed the thinking done by others but not on my end.

I don't care if Kindy is now like 10th grade. I am a child CARE provider that is not paid to teach anything common core. Even QRIS in my state is agreeable enough to allow plenty of leaway in what we are teaching these children.

Common core is awful but it's not something I will allow to be MY problem. Like a previous poster said.... PARENTS are the child's first teacher and if they do their jobs, it's easier to do mine and if I do mine, the teacher will be able to do hers.

*I know your state is a bit different so totally understand where you are coming from though....
Annalee 11:13 AM 08-25-2015
It may have changed the thinking done by others but not on my end.

I don't care if Kindy is now like 10th grade. I am a child CARE provider that is not paid to teach anything common core. Even QRIS in my state is agreeable enough to allow plenty of leaway in what we are teaching these children.

Common core is awful but it's not something I will allow to be MY problem. Like a previous poster said.... PARENTS are the child's first teacher and if they do their jobs, it's easier to do mine and if I do mine, the teacher will be able to do hers.

*I know your state is a bit different so totally understand where you are coming from though....
I agree with every comment posted on this thread....and yes, my state is different. I am play-based but I am challenged to have my children ready on a common core level which to me means getting their imaginations out of the box and explaining why something is like it is. But I also work harder than ever thru play to get these kids ready. My heart hurts for the child I mentioned in pp because I know he will fall thru the cracks because teachers tell me common core has no time for teachers to go backwards...it is a constant fast-paced forward learning!!! Like I said, I agree with you all but I find myself more and more thinking common core as I prepare my curriculum starting September. But I also have a 6th and 8th grader this year who excel in some areas and struggle in some areas, so I know what both feels like and the struggles that arise.
kendallina 11:15 AM 08-25-2015
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
I had a bank tellers daughter- she knew all of her money!! But only because her mom gave her the names as they dropped coins in her bank. She didn't call it piggy food or anything. They were coins with names.
ha! Yup, that'll do the trick!
Reply Up