Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Clenched Hands And Curled Toes- Normal??
SunshineMama 10:16 AM 04-13-2012
15 month dcb always has his hands clenched into a fist, and his toes curled under. He is not walking yet, but will cruise with assistance for a very short duration. Are the clenched hands and curled toes normal?

(Otherwise, he seems physically and behaviorall normal).
jojosmommy 11:04 AM 04-13-2012
No. Clenched fists should not be present after approx 5-6 months. And curled toes will hinder walking or force the child to tiptoe walk which is also not typical. What does mom/dad think?
SunshineMama 11:11 AM 04-13-2012
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
No. Clenched fists should not be present after approx 5-6 months. And curled toes will hinder walking or force the child to tiptoe walk which is also not typical. What does mom/dad think?
Mom and dad are aware that he clenches but have not communicated to me that they see any issue with it. Honestly, they are not very in-tune with him because they work all the time and he sees them for maybe an hour or two a day, and they are the, "it's no big deal" type.
jojosmommy 11:41 AM 04-13-2012
Wait, are his hands clenched all the time or just something he does occasionally? Same with toes all the time or just off and on? Does he play toys/use hands and feet normally otherwise?
SunshineMama 11:45 AM 04-13-2012
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
Wait, are his hands clenched all the time or just something he does occasionally? Same with toes all the time or just off and on? Does he play toys/use hands and feet normally otherwise?
He plays normally, but anytime he does not have anything in his hands they are always clenched into a fist. He can grab toys, etc. His toes are not totally curled when walking, but they to slightly curl down. His left foot also is very slightly turned outward.
Lilbutterflie 11:47 AM 04-13-2012
I have a 17 mo dcb and he occasionally clenches his fists and curls his toes under. But he also is pointing fingers, touching, exploring, squishing, walking normally (even running); everything that is normal for his age group. Is your 15 mo also doing these other things?
daycare 11:48 AM 04-13-2012
is he a chunky little guy? My oldest did that.... At the time he was in the care of his mother (my Best friend, now passed on) he was a 1l lb baby. He did everything late. I remember we would tease her that he looked like a rollie pollie. He always curled up in a little ball. He did it until he was almost 1.5. I got him when he was 9 months old.
Lilbutterflie 11:49 AM 04-13-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
He plays normally, but anytime he does not have anything in his hands they are always clenched into a fist. He can grab toys, etc. His toes are not totally curled when walking, but they to slightly curl down. His left foot also is very slightly turned outward.
It sounds normal to me as long as he is still exploring, pointing, grabbing, squishing, etc... My 17 mo dcb curled his toes under occasionally when he first learned to walk, too. He doesn't anymore, but sometimes he walk on tip toes. All seems normal to me for this age group.
SunshineMama 12:20 PM 04-13-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
is he a chunky little guy? My oldest did that.... At the time he was in the care of his mother (my Best friend, now passed on) he was a 1l lb baby. He did everything late. I remember we would tease her that he looked like a rollie pollie. He always curled up in a little ball. He did it until he was almost 1.5. I got him when he was 9 months old.
He is not chunky at all. I wouldn't say he is skinny but he's fairly lean.
SunshineMama 12:21 PM 04-13-2012
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I have a 17 mo dcb and he occasionally clenches his fists and curls his toes under. But he also is pointing fingers, touching, exploring, squishing, walking normally (even running); everything that is normal for his age group. Is your 15 mo also doing these other things?
He's not pointing, but will wave bye bye. No walking or running, but can cruise for less than a minute before sitting down. He started crawling at 10 months, a week after I got him. He was previously at a center, where I have a hunch they probably didnt give him much floor time.
Michael 01:53 PM 04-13-2012
Colicky babies may curl in their legs, clench their fists and curl their toes. In addition, your baby's belly may appear swollen and hard.

Read more: How to Diagnose a Colicky Baby | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2087454_diag...#ixzz1rxKSLuqh
Tags:clenched hands, colic, curled toes, milestones
Reply Up