Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents Night Out
Oneluckymom 01:21 PM 06-29-2012
Hi all, I know this has been covered before but I couldn't find it when I searched old posts. How many of you charge a nominal fee (how much $) for a parents night out or do you do it free just to show appreciation?

Would you offer it on a Friday night or on a Sat night?
spud912 01:25 PM 06-29-2012
I do it on Friday nights so I still have 2 weekend days to unwind. I charge $25 and $20 for siblings. I have thought about throwing in occasional free nights because I have such great parents and want to show that I appreciate them!
Unregistered 09:15 PM 07-01-2012
Mine can get a free date night by paying in advance
cheerfuldom 05:59 AM 07-02-2012
I do these at my church for a fundraiser. Parents pay $10 per child for a 2.5 hour time slot.
originalkat 12:27 PM 07-03-2012
I do not currently offer this. Most of my families have grandparents available so they would not pay extra for a service like this. I have thought about doing a Saturday Shopping Day in December as a "gift" to my families. A provider friend of mine does that every year. But...December is SUCH a busy month for me I dont know if I could give away that time.
littlemissmuffet 01:37 PM 07-03-2012
I would NEVER offer a service such as this - and especially never for free "to show appreciation". The way I see it, parents SHOULD treat me well, SHOULD respect/follow my rules and SHOULD appreciate me for all the hard work I put into their children without getting anything in return. I am a business, I don't do free. And to be perfectly honest, as much as I love my DCKs - they're here enough, without encroaching into my evenings and weekends.

Why do you guys provie this service? Is it really worth it financially to put even MORE hours in?
Oneluckymom 01:47 PM 07-03-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I would NEVER offer a service such as this - and especially never for free "to show appreciation". The way I see it, parents SHOULD treat me well, SHOULD respect/follow my rules and SHOULD appreciate me for all the hard work I put into their children without getting anything in return. I am a business, I don't do free. And to be perfectly honest, as much as I love my DCKs - they're here enough, without encroaching into my evenings and weekends.

Why do you guys provie this service? Is it really worth it financially to put even MORE hours in?
Good point...I was just looking to make some extra cash but thinking of giving up even one Saturday makes me cringe.
cheerfuldom 01:47 PM 07-03-2012

I feel the same way. I realize businesses do small tokens of appreciation....freebies, treats around the holidays, stuff like that. But I dont feel at all motivated to give up even more time to the daycare, let alone free. I absolutely appreciate my daycare parents, and I feel they appreciate me. But the best way this can be shown IMO is to work together well, abide by our agreement, continuing working towards healthy happy kids. Why is that not enough?

I will say that I am supportive of other providers doing this if that is something that they feel compelled to do. But I dont feel that parents should expect free or that providers should feel that they HAVE to provide even more hours than they already do. I already work 10 hour days. I know plenty of providers that offer 12 or even 14 hour days.
DBug 06:48 PM 07-03-2012
I agree -- I don't want to give up my off-time (which I really do think of in terms of dollars and cents), just to show appreciation. As well, my kids and hubby REALLY enjoy having the house to ourselves after hours.

However, I have always had the idea of a PNO in the back of my mind for if we ever really, really need money for some reason. But I would never do it for free.
crunchymama 07:54 PM 07-03-2012
Last Friday evening I tried my very first Parent's Night Out and never again! A huge storm blew through the area and took out power, phones, cell service, everything. The kids were all scared and parents couldn't get here to pick them up because of downed trees and such. I think we'll just stick to regular schedules from now on.
Former Teacher 06:07 AM 07-04-2012
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I do not currently offer this. Most of my families have grandparents available so they would not pay extra for a service like this.
You would be surprised. I remember at my former center once or twice a month (depending on schedules with the employees) we would offer a PNO. It was from 7:00 p.m.- 11:00 p.m. We didn't offer dinner but we did offer snack. The cost was $35.00. Cash only. Paid before drop off.

The kids got to be in a familiar environment, with their friends etc. Yeah parents paid
My3cents 10:03 AM 07-06-2012

I do it twice a year, once during Christmas and once in July. My parents do appreciate me and show me appreciation. I don't do this to expect anything in return. I do it because I want to. I am a business and this is one of my perks to my families. We make it a family event. Do different things that we don't do normally during daycare. I put the kids in jammies for the parents and I encourage them to go out on a date night or have a night to themselves. We feed the kids a supper, snacks, play games, watch movies. Happy parents are nice to work with. I greatly value my family time and off time. I also feel it is important to give back and do things that are selfless. With out my families I would not have a job- Financially I do not charge for this night out and I also invite the siblings. I hope I am teaching my children to give back and not always take.
littlemissmuffet 10:09 AM 07-06-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:
I do it twice a year, once during Christmas and once in July. My parents do appreciate me and show me appreciation. I don't do this to expect anything in return. I do it because I want to. I am a business and this is one of my perks to my families. We make it a family event. Do different things that we don't do normally during daycare. I put the kids in jammies for the parents and I encourage them to go out on a date night or have a night to themselves. We feed the kids a supper, snacks, play games, watch movies. Happy parents are nice to work with. I greatly value my family time and off time. I also feel it is important to give back and do things that are selfless. With out my families I would not have a job- Financially I do not charge for this night out and I also invite the siblings. I hope I am teaching my children to give back and not always take.
Good for you. Your families (daycare and your own) are very lucky to have someone you in their lives I am glad you are appreciated, you obviously deserve it! Thanks for a new, fresh perspective!
My3cents 11:07 AM 07-06-2012
Good for you. Your families (daycare and your own) are very lucky to have someone you in their lives I am glad you are appreciated, you obviously deserve it! Thanks for a new, fresh perspective!
Have not always had this--- have worked with horrible parents. What a difference that in itself makes!!!

I respect your point of view on this too. It is not your thing, it is just not your thing. I work 10 hour days, often more. Some of you out there work 12-14 plus hour days. Outside of these two days I offer out, when it is my time, I want my time. I need to rejuvenate. I don't want to hear any other kids other then my own. It always makes me laugh when people that don't do daycare think that daycare providers have this endless love for children 24/7

Thank you for the kind words.
small_steps 11:16 AM 07-06-2012
I usually do mine on a Friday night but have occasionally offered it on a Saturday. I charge $25 per child and keep them from 6pm-Midnight. I've had probably 5-6 parents over the past couple of years take me up on these and it's an extra $50 here and there. Usually I only have 2 or so at a time but I will not do it for only 1 child. I have to make at least $50 or to me it isn't worth my time. I try to offer these about once a month or once every other month.
Lianne 12:10 PM 07-06-2012
I only do one, in early December. I do not charge for it because it's my way of saying thanks to my clients for another great year.
Tags:parents night out
Reply Up