Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Long for Nap?
Ariana 01:09 PM 01-25-2016
I have a DCG who sleeps from 12:30pm to around 4pm when I wake her up. Her parents don't want her sleeping for more than 3 hours but I let her sleep about 3.5 hours because if she needs to sleep she should sleep. Right now I am waking her up but am wondering if I should let her sleep until shortly before pickup time at 5pm?

Any thoughts on this? It seems like she is sleeping a LOT here. At home she is NOT a great sleeper but mostly it's a consistency and discipline issue rather than a 'not tired' issue. I also know that on the weekends they don't even bother to nap her because it's too hard for them to get her to sleep. Here she falls asleep right away.
mamamanda 01:21 PM 01-25-2016
Do you have a set nap time for everyone? If the parents have requested that she not nap for more than 3 hours, then I would personally wake her up at that point if nap time is over. Now if nap time was like 1-4 and she was falling asleep early that would be different, but if she is going to sleep with everyone else I would go ahead and wake her up with everyone else. I agree that if they aren't getting her the sleep she needs at home that she probably really does need the sleep, but they are still the parents and I would honor their wishes as long as they coincided with my policies. It's really sad b/c the child needs them to step up and parent at bedtime so she can get the sleep she requires.
Unregistered 01:53 PM 01-25-2016
I don't wake up sleeping children. If they are that tired let them sleep.
Are you quiet after nap time or just go about like normal?
Play Care 02:44 PM 01-25-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I have a DCG who sleeps from 12:30pm to around 4pm when I wake her up. Her parents don't want her sleeping for more than 3 hours but I let her sleep about 3.5 hours because if she needs to sleep she should sleep. Right now I am waking her up but am wondering if I should let her sleep until shortly before pickup time at 5pm?

Any thoughts on this? It seems like she is sleeping a LOT here. At home she is NOT a great sleeper but mostly it's a consistency and discipline issue rather than a 'not tired' issue. I also know that on the weekends they don't even bother to nap her because it's too hard for them to get her to sleep. Here she falls asleep right away.
It would depend on the age of the child for me. An infant or young toddler would sleep until they wake on their own. A 3 or 4 yo would be woken after 2.5 hours as I do think too long of a nap can interfere with nighttime sleep.
Ariana 02:45 PM 01-25-2016
My daycare kids all sleep in sperate rooms in my house so they can wake up whenever they want. I don't technically have a wake up time. My 3 year old doesn't nap but gets an hour of quiet play and my other dck naps for about 2-3 hours but wakes on his own 99% of the time. This is kind of why I am asking this question. I have not had a kid sleep here this much that I wasn't able to put down earlier. She arrives at my house at 12 so by the time she is done eating etc she doesnt go down for nap until 12:30pm. My other dck was sleeping here for 5 hours but I was able to put him down earlier. Mom was cosleeping with him and a nb so he desperately needed the sleep. Now that mom is not cosleeping he is sleeping 2-3 hours and wakes on his own.

By the way she just turned 2 and is not very verbal.
mommyneedsadayoff 03:01 PM 01-25-2016
I would probably wake up by 3:30 if she goes down by 12:30. I would open blinds, leave door open so they can hear activity, ect. If they are still dead asleep, I would wake them myself.
Ariana 03:19 PM 01-25-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I would probably wake up by 3:30 if she goes down by 12:30. I would open blinds, leave door open so they can hear activity, ect. If they are still dead asleep, I would wake them myself.
This is exactly what I was doing before! I would wake her at 3:30 but she would be a total zombie for the next half an hour. This is why I stretched it out an extra half an hour. She seems better rested after 3.5 which is another reason I was wondering if I should just let her keep sleeping! I have no idea why kids sleep so much at my house. It's so annoying!
Thriftylady 03:34 PM 01-25-2016
This is exactly what I was doing before! I would wake her at 3:30 but she would be a total zombie for the next half an hour. This is why I stretched it out an extra half an hour. She seems better rested after 3.5 which is another reason I was wondering if I should just let her keep sleeping! I have no idea why kids sleep so much at my house. It's so annoying!
I had a 1 yr old who wouldn't nap at home. She also slept in a chair with mom because she "wouldn't go to bed without screaming all night". For the first week with me she did CIO for an hour at nap time. After that I would lay her down she would lay down and go right to sleep for 3 hours. I think the "reason" they will sleep so long for us, is we set it up for them to be able to sleep.
childcaremom 04:08 PM 01-25-2016
I wish my group had your problem!
mommyneedsadayoff 04:57 PM 01-25-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I had a 1 yr old who wouldn't nap at home. She also slept in a chair with mom because she "wouldn't go to bed without screaming all night". For the first week with me she did CIO for an hour at nap time. After that I would lay her down she would lay down and go right to sleep for 3 hours. I think the "reason" they will sleep so long for us, is we set it up for them to be able to sleep.
I agree. I have found that many parents, while having good intentions, get IN THE WAY of productive sleep. They feel they are needed to facilitate sleep, when really, all you need to do is provide a dark, quiet, environment and let the do the rest
midaycare 05:05 PM 01-25-2016
My dck's sleep good for me too (for the most part). There's always that odd day here and there.

Under 1.5, they sleep on demand. Over 1.5 and as long as they are on the normal afternoon nap schedule, I have the naptime of 1-3:00 p.m. Kids are allowed to sleep until 3:30 p.m.
NoMoreJuice! 05:46 PM 01-25-2016
I only take 18 months and up, and I totally admire those of you who can juggle multiple infant naps along with normal toddler naps. I, however, can not.

Naptime for us is from 12:30 to 2:30, on the dot. My basement is very dark and soothing, their bedding is comfy and warm, they're exhausted from playing and learning all morning, and they have full tummies. It's the perfect recipe.
Jazzii 04:32 AM 01-26-2016
Personally o think that is
Way to lon .
We do 12-245 and everyone except the baby is woken up at that time. Even of they chose to to not fall asleep until two
Ariana 08:10 AM 01-26-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I agree. I have found that many parents, while having good intentions, get IN THE WAY of productive sleep. They feel they are needed to facilitate sleep, when really, all you need to do is provide a dark, quiet, environment and let the do the rest
Yes exactly! I had to do CIO here and within a week she was sleeping perfectly here. i wish she would sleep less but I really hate waking kids up if they need it. If she was 3-4 I would probably wake her but at 2 I don't feel comfortable. I guess I will just keep doing what I am doing. The parents usually complain if she doesn't sleep at night but I gave them advice on CIO and they haven't been complaining since then. Not sure if they listened and she is sleeping or what!
Silly Songs 10:38 AM 01-26-2016
We let the children sleep until 2-2:30. Then we start waking the ones who are still sleeping. We need to get the mats up off the floor and then we go outside !
Tags:sleep - length
Reply Up