Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potential DCP Asked If Ok To Bring In Webcam?
LAPE 11:12 AM 07-23-2014
Hi everyone. This is my first post but I've been reading the boards for a while now!

I had a family tour in April, DCM due 7/25, and they are looking for care starting in September/October. They are very interested in bringing their baby here and DCD just emailed me and asked if they could bring a webcam (they would provide it). I have a few other DCK enrolled and I'm not sure how I feel about respecting the privacy of the others (especially with the recent hackers who were able to log on and watch). Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas appreciated!
Naptime yet? 11:18 AM 07-23-2014
I would say no because of the privacy issue and you could explain it that way to the new parents.

I would feel like I was being scrutinized in my own home .
NoMoreJuice! 11:18 AM 07-23-2014
First of all, welcome!!

Secondly, Absolutely not!!! It is a privacy issue, and you could be discussing confidential matters with other families. You will definitely be discussing things that are none of that family's business. And if they don't trust you, they have no business leaving their baby with you anyway.

If I were interested in taking on this family (which I never would) I would suggest that they use my open-door policy to come check on their baby whenever they'd like. If they are assured that they can come in any time they wish, they will usually feel better about leaving their baby. It is very important to develop a bond of trust between parents and daycare providers! Stress to them how much you value that trust.
coolconfidentme 11:21 AM 07-23-2014
h*** no!!!
Unregistered 11:22 AM 07-23-2014
Nope tell them to get a nanny. It's your home not theirs and a million times NO! Ask them if it would be ok if you put web cam up in their house so you can video the baby when in their care. I bet they would get a hit then.
Heidi 11:23 AM 07-23-2014
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
First of all, welcome!!

Secondly, Absolutely not!!! It is a privacy issue, and you could be discussing confidential matters with other families. You will definitely be discussing things that are none of that family's business. And if they don't trust you, they have no business leaving their baby with you anyway.

If I were interested in taking on this family (which I never would) I would suggest that they use my open-door policy to come check on their baby whenever they'd like. If they are assured that they can come in any time they wish, they will usually feel better about leaving their baby. It is very important to develop a bond of trust between parents and daycare providers! Stress to them how much you value that trust.
Ditto this!

This would be a red flag for me in signing this family on. Another one, and I'd say "no thank you". While I totally empathize with how hard it is to leave your baby with someone, they need to get over it or it'll be H-E-double hockey sticks with them. They will make unrealistic requests, write you pages of instructions, call you at all hours for little things, etc. Baby will get a mosquito bite, and you'll get a formal hearing.
Chellieleanne 11:24 AM 07-23-2014
I would tell the parents what you just posted, it is for the privacy of the other kids. However maybe compromise and offer to text or email pics through the day? That is what I do with my dck's when they first start. Then over time I back out slowly as parents and child get comfortable.
CraftyMom 11:25 AM 07-23-2014
Nope, not here!
KidGrind 11:31 AM 07-23-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
h*** no!!!
You and I are on the same page. I thought:

What the fudge?!

I would respond. "I understand your wish to be able to view your child during the day. I have other children in care and it would be inappropriate. I am sure you’d would be uncomfortable with strangers viewing your child on a webcam."

I’d also like to remind you this is my home. The hiring of a nanny in your home and setting up webcams may be an option for you.
Maggie 11:33 AM 07-23-2014
I've only had one family ever ask to do this, it was also the dad asking btw, I told them no way. They ended up signing on with me anyway. They were with me for 3 years before I termed due to dad being creepy with boundary issues.
MarinaVanessa 11:36 AM 07-23-2014
I would say no also and explain your position about being hesitant because other DCP's may be concerned with the privacy of their children. I would be direct with them. Sometimes suggestions don't sound crazy until they hear it from someone else.

"Unfortunately I don't think this will be a possibility. I have to think about the privacy of the other families that I care for and I honestly don't think that they'll feel comfortable with letting a stranger have access to video of their children. To be honest I don't feel comfortable with this idea either considering that I change the children's diapers and I know as a parent I wouldn't like any other adult except for my child care provider to see my child without a diaper. It just seems too complicated for me to think that it could work with my group of families".

Maybe even add "If you feel like you prefer access to video of your child during child care hours may I suggest perhaps looking into hiring a nanny or finding a daycare center that has video access."

Seems like a red flag to me and I would be hesitant to taking this parent on as a client. I would make certain to clarify my rules about parents staying at daycare and "popping in" etc. Sounds like there will be trust issues.
Blackcat31 11:39 AM 07-23-2014
Welcome to the forum!

Here are several other threads about video cameras and recording in child cares

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63539

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...video+monitors

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=webcam

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63752
Hunni Bee 11:52 AM 07-23-2014
h*** no!!!

TwinKristi 11:53 AM 07-23-2014
Yeah... No! I would NOT allow anyone to put a camera in MY HOME. If they want a nanny cam at home and have little video chats while working then go for it! But it's a breech of privacy for your family and the others in your care. Bring up the fact that you change other children's diapers and discuss personal information about children with their parents or with your own family. This is a HOME daycare, not a center with cameras and web chats! You pay a lot more money for that type of access to your child whether it's a nanny in your own home or a center. Also, webcams can be hacked into if they're "online" and you don't feel comfortable with that risk.
mountainside13 12:06 PM 07-23-2014
Agree with everyone else! Plus you would have to disconnect it every night because they might try to watch inside your home after daycare hours. Creepy!
hope 12:20 PM 07-23-2014
They need to enroll their child in a center. Many centers offer this. I find it rude to even ask in a home daycare setting. People need to realize that although we run a business it is still our home.
Second Home 12:35 PM 07-23-2014
Ummmm ......... No way .
midaycare 12:39 PM 07-23-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
They need to enroll their child in a center. Many centers offer this. I find it rude to even ask in a home daycare setting. People need to realize that although we run a business it is still our home.
This. I can't believe they asked.
SilverSabre25 12:42 PM 07-23-2014
h*** no!!!

TwinKristi 01:56 PM 07-23-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
This. I can't believe they asked.
Me either!! I think my jaw would probably drop off my head and fall on the ground! I just can't believe someone would even ask this. It's someone else's HOME!!

If they don't back pedal at like 100mph like oh sorry, didn't even think of that, sleep deprived brain, sorry... I would consider declining if they choose you. It just shows a huge lack of respect to me and the fact that you open your home to others to begin with is hard enough but for them to expect full time video surveillance on their child while in your home is so extreme. If you have the desire to watch your child whenever you feel like it than perhaps you need to either quit your job and care for your own child or find a center/nanny who is okay with it! But I can't imagine many home daycare providers allowing this.
nannyde 02:10 PM 07-23-2014
No way. I have too much to hide.
Michelle 02:25 PM 07-23-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:

AmyKidsCo 04:26 PM 07-23-2014
h*** no!!!

I'd emphasize my Open Door policy and that they can stop by anytime they want without calling first. (Wonder how they'd feel if their boss wanted to put a webcam in their office?)
Laurel 06:42 PM 07-23-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Nope tell them to get a nanny. It's your home not theirs and a million times NO! Ask them if it would be ok if you put web cam up in their house so you can video the baby when in their care. I bet they would get a hit then.
Good one!
Laurel 06:48 PM 07-23-2014

Stepping 06:54 PM 07-23-2014
No for 3 reasons.

1. Your relationship with the family needs to be based on trust.
2. Breeches privacy for the other children.
3. I would be concerned about hackers accessing the webcam.

How would they feel if another family requested this? Maybe they would think that's ok. But what if the other family gives acces to the webcam to 'uncle bob' who's a registered sex offender? Would they still be happy for their child to be on camera all day, not knowing who's watching?
DaveA 07:55 PM 07-23-2014

Seriously though, NOT A CHANCE IN *****!!

Too many issues: privacy for other children, security of the video feed, not to mention they are asking to put surveillance cameras in someone else's home. Text pics and videos of their child to them to help with the transition, but I can't believe they actually think this is a good idea.
LAPE 05:07 AM 07-24-2014
Thank you everyone!!! It is obviously their 1st child so I kind of get why they would want to do it. BUT, I do feel like it would jeopardize the privacy of the other children and my family after hours. I feel the same way as all of you all, lol! I'm getting ready to email dad back and tell him!
NeedaVaca 05:10 AM 07-24-2014
Keep us posted with his response!
Blackcat31 05:13 AM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by LAPE:
Thank you everyone!!! It is obviously their 1st child so I kind of get why they would want to do it. BUT, I do feel like it would jeopardize the privacy of the other children and my family after hours. I feel the same way as all of you all, lol! I'm getting ready to email dad back and tell him!
Be careful if you enroll this family.

Just because you tell him no, doesn't mean he won't find another way to do it.

NOT saying he will. Just something I wouldn't put past parents now days.

There aren't many that simply take the word no for what it's worth.
craftymissbeth 05:29 AM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I remember a thread where a mom insisted she had every right to send a tiny little recording device to preschool hidden in her daughters hair bows. There ARE parents out there that will do it regardless of whether you give consent. I know any parent could do it at any time, but I wouldn't take a parent that asked... I know that doesn't make sense, but I just wouldn't take them.
Unregistered 05:29 AM 07-24-2014
I think I would want to respond that if he did not trust me or feel I was capable of properly caring for his child, then it would be best if he continued his search for child care. I would not feel comfortable providing care for a child when the parent did not trust me, or believe me capable.

Plus, I would not want to feel under the microscope all day at work in my own home.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:32 AM 07-24-2014
I would say absolutely! But, since this is a group setting, the only place baby would be by himself would be in his crib. So, I can hook it up for you to watch him nap if you want. I will turn it on when I lay him down.
hope 08:06 AM 07-24-2014
Haha hahaha! !!!!!!!!!
JoseyJo 08:28 AM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
I would say absolutely! But, since this is a group setting, the only place baby would be by himself would be in his crib. So, I can hook it up for you to watch him nap if you want. I will turn it on when I lay him down.
Perfect!
Heidi 05:27 PM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Yes!

If you don't already have a "no diaper bags" and "no toys from home" policy, please add it.

I have found stuff in diaper bags that should NOT be in reach of children!
Heidi 05:30 PM 07-24-2014
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
Oh no! lol

I can just imagine...you are making lunch for 6 other kiddos, some of which are whiney toddlers just STARVING at your feet. Baby wakes up, but you can't get in there right away. You call over "I'm getting there, sweetie, give me 5 minutes".

Just then, the phone rings, and baby's mom is on the other side saying "why don't you go pick up my baby?"
LAPE 07:55 AM 07-30-2014
I haven't heard back from this dad. Maybe he didn't like my email and is now considering a nanny, lol! I just said that I would not allow a webcam to be brought in because it would jeopardize the privacy of the others enrolled.
Thank you everyone for your input!!
Tags:nanny cam, surveillance cameras, video, web cam
Reply Up