Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pregnant Mom with SA Kid or Single Infant
BekaK 11:13 AM 08-16-2018
I'm a fairly new provider and I have yet to be filled up to capacity. I just interviewed a family with a school-age kid and a kid due in six months. I went over my holding fees with the family and the mom seem to completely understand. However the father had issues with my monthly holding fee. I currently have four spots open and they want to reserve one for 6 months. So yes I have a rather strict policy and it will cost them money to hold that spot.

Tonight I am going to interview family with one child that's a year old. this child would fill the one infant spot I have open and therefore would take the spot of the above family. If I enrolled him. Here's my problem: I'm slightly uncomfortable with holding a spot for an infant for 6 months, despite having stated that that's the longest period of time I will hold a spot in my contract. However, I need spots filled ASAP and the first family would fill two of my spots. What do I do?
BekaK 11:19 AM 08-16-2018
Their SA daughter also was really quiet and seemed uncomfortable in my home. Maybe she was just nervous. But my kid tried to interact with her and she hid behind her mom.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:49 AM 08-16-2018
Originally Posted by BekaK:
I'm a fairly new provider and I have yet to be filled up to capacity. I just interviewed a family with a school-age kid and a kid due in six months. I went over my holding fees with the family and the mom seem to completely understand. However the father had issues with my monthly holding fee. I currently have four spots open and they want to reserve one for 6 months. So yes I have a rather strict policy and it will cost them money to hold that spot.

Tonight I am going to interview family with one child that's a year old. this child would fill the one infant spot I have open and therefore would take the spot of the above family. If I enrolled him. Here's my problem: I'm slightly uncomfortable with holding a spot for an infant for 6 months, despite having stated that that's the longest period of time I will hold a spot in my contract. However, I need spots filled ASAP and the first family would fill two of my spots. What do I do?
I would enroll but just let them know, that without payment, you cant hold a spot for the infant so they need to make sure you have room when the baby comes around. If you have four spots right now, I would not charge a holding fee until those spaces become compromised.
Blackcat31 02:02 PM 08-16-2018
Originally Posted by BekaK:

If you need spaces filled, I would go with whomever PAYS in full for the space.

I would do away with holding fees and simply state if a space is open and available you require payment in full whether the space is being used or not.

My rates are based on enrollment NOT attendance or time used.

I refuse to lose money so someone else can save money. Not many businesses can operate successfully that way.

I am not in the business of holding anything except babies.
LysesKids 02:10 PM 08-16-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If you need spaces filled, I would go with whomever PAYS in full for the space.

I would do away with holding fees and simply state if a space is open and available you require payment in full whether the space is being used or not.

My rates are based on enrollment NOT attendance or time used.

I refuse to lose money so someone else can save money. Not many businesses can operate successfully that way.

I am not in the business of holding anything except babies.
THIS... and babies are all I do lol. I tell families that I will hold a spot for 2 weeks max, provided they pay the first month fees in full (I prorate 2nd month, then go back to full fee on the first of each month by month 3); I charge monthly fees, so if you want the spot - you must pay in full. I can only take 4 babes, so I don't wait months for a little to start... first to sign contract & pay gets the opening
Josiegirl 02:18 AM 08-17-2018
If the 1 yo's family work out, I'd fill that spot and to heck with the other one. Dad was angry about holding fees? He might be a future problem all the way around. I wouldn't have a problem with the quiet little girl, could be just shy. But I, personally, am trying to steer clear of taking on more SA dcks.
Holding a spot for 6 months means an awful loss to finances if you end up with chances to fill your spots immediately. I think I'd change that policy right away. Unless you receive full pay I'd keep looking. You opened recently and it takes time to fill up, try to be patient and look for the right fit.
amberrose3dg 03:42 AM 08-17-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
If the 1 yo's family work out, I'd fill that spot and to heck with the other one. Dad was angry about holding fees? He might be a future problem all the way around. I wouldn't have a problem with the quiet little girl, could be just shy. But I, personally, am trying to steer clear of taking on more SA dcks.
Holding a spot for 6 months means an awful loss to finances if you end up with chances to fill your spots immediately. I think I'd change that policy right away. Unless you receive full pay I'd keep looking. You opened recently and it takes time to fill up, try to be patient and look for the right fit.
Take whoever pays you first. Sorry but that is the way it is! We have a serious infant shortage where I am. I can only have 4 infants at a time. Children are considered infants until 2. I have had the calls with negotiations where they only want to pay for what they use blah blah.You should have no problem filling infant spots with people who want to pay for them!
LysesKids 05:20 AM 08-17-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Take whoever pays you first. Sorry but that is the way it is! We have a serious infant shortage where I am. I can only have 4 infants at a time. Children are considered infants until 2. I have had the calls with negotiations where they only want to pay for what they use blah blah.You should have no problem filling infant spots with people who want to pay for them!
THIS... I always was full in Martinsburg because under 24 months is all I did. For some reason, here in TN I was full, but now I'm having issues... Oh yeah, it's because I refuse to drop my fees for families that bitch about how expensive babies are lol
DaveA 05:41 AM 08-17-2018
I would take the 1 y/o assuming the family is a good fit. Having a DCP with issues about your policy before they even enroll your program is not a great way to start out.
Tags:choosing clients
Reply Up