Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Tom - TaxAct and Form 8829 x 2
spud912 06:01 PM 03-10-2015
Hi Tom,

I'm doing taxes in the next 2-3 days ... I admit I really enjoy doing taxes. BUT this year I'm really worried about everything being different and doing it on my own. We moved mid-year and purchased a house. With that, I will have 2 separate 8829 forms to fill out (separate time/space percentage). I used TaxAct last year and really liked it, especially being able to file electronically. Since I will be using 2 separate 8829 forms, do these software programs allow more than one 8829 form? If not, how do I file electronically. I REALLY would prefer to avoid snail mail.
TomCopeland 06:19 AM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by spud912:
Hi Tom,

I'm doing taxes in the next 2-3 days ... I admit I really enjoy doing taxes. BUT this year I'm really worried about everything being different and doing it on my own. We moved mid-year and purchased a house. With that, I will have 2 separate 8829 forms to fill out (separate time/space percentage). I used TaxAct last year and really liked it, especially being able to file electronically. Since I will be using 2 separate 8829 forms, do these software programs allow more than one 8829 form? If not, how do I file electronically. I REALLY would prefer to avoid snail mail.
I'm not familiar with TaxAct, so I don't know how it would handle 2 Form 8829s. Sorry
spud912 06:59 AM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
I'm not familiar with TaxAct, so I don't know how it would handle 2 Form 8829s. Sorry
Do the other programs support 2 filings of 8829? I didn't see in your book if that is possible?
kendallina 02:36 PM 03-11-2015
I moved last year and did two 8829s. I used the forms right on the irs website, the free file fillable forms. They do the math for you, but you need to know how to do taxes. They are basically just the printable forms and you input your info.

The IRS website does have free software to use if your gross income is $60,000 or less. I'm not sure if they allow two 8829s.
spud912 02:56 PM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by kendallina:
I moved last year and did two 8829s. I used the forms right on the irs website, the free file fillable forms. They do the math for you, but you need to know how to do taxes. They are basically just the printable forms and you input your info.

The IRS website does have free software to use if your gross income is $60,000 or less. I'm not sure if they allow two 8829s.
Yes, I did the free fillable forms last year and then entered everything into TaxAct to see if I missed anything or calculated wrong. I really would prefer to E-file to get the refund back sooner rather then waiting forever. Thanks though!
Unregistered 02:42 PM 01-25-2016
Yes, I did the free fillable forms last year and then entered everything into TaxAct to see if I missed anything or calculated wrong. I really would prefer to E-file to get the refund back sooner rather then waiting forever. Thanks though!
Bumping a nearly year old thread to see what you actually ended up doing. I'm in this situation this year and have used Tax Act for the past 5 or so years and would prefer to continue using them.

Thanks
TomCopeland 10:18 AM 01-26-2016
Do the other programs support 2 filings of 8829? I didn't see in your book if that is possible?
The way to handle this is to enter expenses for two homes. That is, pretend that you have two businesses operating out of two homes. Then it will generate two Form 8829s and transfer the expenses from both homes onto your Schedule C.
Tags:8829, form 8829, tom copeland
Reply Up