Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Biting
caring4kidsinSD 06:12 PM 02-03-2012
Desperately need tips how to stop at 20 mo old from biting the other 20 mo old daily!!!! we have had 2 bite marks this week and they are starting to leave marks and scaring up. After the first one this week we have been putting her in the pnp when we leave the room but today she bit with my helper right there. Apparently the one girl was reaching for a toy and the other one just bit her when she reached over to get the toy. In the past, they have never been hard enough bites to leave marks but this week we have 2 pretty bad marks(hasn't broken the skin yet but still deep bites)

Don't know else to do as I can't keep her in the pnp all day long.
saved4always 06:23 PM 02-03-2012
I have had the same issue this week!!! The 20 month old I watch has bit the same 2 year old twice this week. Both times he left marks. Both times, the 2 year old was using her body or arm to push him away from a toy so the 20 month old bit her. I can understand that the 20 month old is really frustrated because the 2 year old often takes toys out of his hands and then pushes him when he tries to get them back or blocks him with her body from playing at the little table where they were both playing toys. I was watching them super closely after the second bite this week so I could stop a bite before it happens and found myself correcting the 2 year old much more often for taking the 20 month old's toys. It is super stressful worrying that the 2 year old will get bit again. Her parents have been very understanding so far, but I am sure they will reach thier limit. It stinks because it seems like what she is doing is causing him to bite, but, since her pushing and blocking does not cause any marks, it looks to the parents like he is the issue.

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions, but sure can relate!
cheerfuldom 08:19 PM 02-03-2012
You will have to shadow him all the time to intervene before a bite happens. you also have to create a safe area for him to play in should you need to do something else, say take someone to the potty. For safety reasons, you just have to get super diligent with the biters. Its a lot of work! Look for triggers to help him avoid those or cope with them better. A lot of times the trigger may be toy fights.
DBug 09:40 AM 02-04-2012
I have a 22-month-old doing the same thing right now! It used to be once in awhile, but it's become once or twice a day in the last two weeks. Her biting is completely random though. If anyone gets within a foot of her, she bites. She bonked her head the other day, so I was giving her a hug and a kiss to make her feel better -- and she bit my neck!

This is something that I would normally term over, but she'll be done in 6 weeks anyway. So, in the meantime, I'm letting her play alone whenever I can't be right beside her. So she's in the playpen (with lots of toys) or sitting at the table while I'm making lunch, if the other kids are in the playroom. Then when the other kids are at the table finishing their craft or snack, I'll let her have the playroom to herself for a bit. She's only allowed to be with the other kids when I'm sitting there playing with her. I just don't see any way around it, unfortunately.

She's a great kid, but I can't have her randomly biting the others

I do know though, if she wasn't done in a few weeks, I would have to term her. I would hate to do it because her parents are great, and she's a perfect kid, except for the biting. But I would have to do what's best for the group.

You've got to figure out if it's worth keeping your biter and doing the shadowing/separating thing, or if it's a better use of your time to let her go.
Tags:biting
Reply Up