Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thank You Everyone!
Zoe 04:51 AM 03-15-2011
Before I found this forum I was such a pushover. I HATE confrontation so I would let my dcp's walk all over me. Pay me late, show up late, etc.

So yesterday, a dcm walks in and says, "Yeah, I'm going to pay you on Friday because I don't have any money." Now I totally get financial problems, but the fact that she didn't even ask or anything. She just assumed I would be okay being payed 4 days late. She gets a heck of a bargain for before and after school care (25 dollars), so on the one hand it's not like I depend on it, but it's the principle of the thing!!!!

So after my face stopped looking like this I told her that Monday is payday and there is a late fee. She immediately went on the defensive and said, well I don't have the money and if I gave you a check you'd have to hold it until Friday anyway!

Because of my "bleeding heart" I told her that I would still take care of her son this week (after 3 days on non-payment I don't allow the child into care without full payment plus fees) however she would have to pay the fee. She said fine and left. Well after thinking about it, I realized that I should have reminded her about how much my fee was. This would require further sticking up for myself, which I am NOT so good at.

This morning I reminded her that the late fee was 10 dollars a day. She just looked at me and said, well if I pay today is it still 25? I told her no it's 35 because it's a day late. She said, well then I'll have 35 when I pick him up today.

So I just want to thank everyone on here for showing me how to stick up for myself and grow a backbone. That wasn't even an extreme situation, but it's something I would have just "let slide" in the past and I didn't today! If I can do that, then maybe I can handle the next time a parent tries to break the rules!

Thanks everyone!
laundrymom 04:56 AM 03-15-2011
We need a like button
Originally Posted by Zoe:
Before I found this forum I was such a pushover. I HATE confrontation so I would let my dcp's walk all over me. Pay me late, show up late, etc.

So yesterday, a dcm walks in and says, "Yeah, I'm going to pay you on Friday because I don't have any money." Now I totally get financial problems, but the fact that she didn't even ask or anything. She just assumed I would be okay being payed 4 days late. She gets a heck of a bargain for before and after school care (25 dollars), so on the one hand it's not like I depend on it, but it's the principle of the thing!!!!

So after my face stopped looking like this I told her that Monday is payday and there is a late fee. She immediately went on the defensive and said, well I don't have the money and if I gave you a check you'd have to hold it until Friday anyway!

Because of my "bleeding heart" I told her that I would still take care of her son this week (after 3 days on non-payment I don't allow the child into care without full payment plus fees) however she would have to pay the fee. She said fine and left. Well after thinking about it, I realized that I should have reminded her about how much my fee was. This would require further sticking up for myself, which I am NOT so good at.

This morning I reminded her that the late fee was 10 dollars a day. She just looked at me and said, well if I pay today is it still 25? I told her no it's 35 because it's a day late. She said, well then I'll have 35 when I pick him up today.

So I just want to thank everyone on here for showing me how to stick up for myself and grow a backbone. That wasn't even an extreme situation, but it's something I would have just "let slide" in the past and I didn't today! If I can do that, then maybe I can handle the next time a parent tries to break the rules!

Thanks everyone!

DBug 04:59 AM 03-15-2011
Amazing how she has $35 today when she didn't have $25 yesterday and doesn't get paid til Friday

Good for you for standing behind your policies!! I'm still developing my backbone, but it sure does make things easier when parents know you mean business!
Little People 05:04 AM 03-15-2011
I always tell my parents in my interview: I get paid on Friday's for the upcoming week and this is one policy I will not allow to be broken. Then I go on to say: You would not like it if your boss came to you and said "I can't pay you today". Then I go on to tell them: I went in to childcare because I love and adore children, But I also work VERY hard in my job and I EXPECT to be paid on Fridays. Then I kindly say: you can either pay me when bringing your child/children in the mornings or you can pay me when you pick up your child/children or if you need to to wait on dads pay check, I close at 5:30, so you would need to run payment back before 5:29pm. I also tell them that a late payment will be charged on Saturday and Sunday if they do not pay on Friday by 5:29pm.

I also tell them I DO NOT accept payment after 5:29pm or on weekends, as my business is CLOSED. I tell them my daycare turns into a HOUSE after 5:29pm and does not turn back into a daycare till 7:00am monday morning. Every parent that I have told this ALWAYS Laughs.
Lilbutterflie 05:10 AM 03-15-2011
Great job Zoe! I feel the same way you do... I hate any kind of confrontation so I generally would just let them walk all over my policies. Being here on this forum has allowed me to realize that we are running a business, and in order for a business to be successful you MUST enforce your policies!
Cat Herder 05:12 AM 03-15-2011
Congrats! Keep it up...

It is nice to have more time and energy to devote to the kids instead of adult issues....
missnikki 06:15 AM 03-15-2011
That's great!

I have pictured in my head the following scenario:
Parent: "I am going to pay on Monday, instead of Friday, ok?"
Me: "Sure, no problem. Can you do me a favor and drive on over to the electric company and let them know my payment will be late? If that doesn't fly, you'll need to stop by the gas company and tell them to wait. Or if they say no, here's the address to my mortgage company..."

Luckily it hasn't come to that.
Little People 06:18 AM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by missnikki:
That's great!

Me: "Sure, no problem. Can you do me a favor and drive on over to the electric company and let them know my payment will be late? If that doesn't fly, you'll need to stop by the gas company and tell them to wait. Or if they say no, here's the address to my mortgage company..."

Little People 06:20 AM 03-15-2011
That's great!

And while you are out will you drive to WalMart and see if they will let me get your child's food for this week and see if I can pay them later
DaycareMomma 06:32 AM 03-15-2011
I have to agree that this website has also given me a backbone. Before I came here I'd let parents do what they wanted. They pretty much walked all over me. I come from a small town in the midwest and here, everyone knows everyone. Two of my five families were classmates of my older brothers, One is a distant family member, another used to work with my mom and the last one, the husband is on the fire department with my husband. So it is hard to stand up for yourself when you see all of them out and about alot of the time.

I have a parent that is constantly testing me. Example, yesterday she drops off her 3 daughters and barely walks in the door while saying "Oldest has a birthday party today at 3. I will let you know who is picking her up." And she was gone, no time for me to even think much less respond. So I texted her (her only form of communication, she won't answer phone calls from me, only text messages!), and said "Per my contract, there are no drop offs or pick ups from 1-3:15 as that is my nap time. She goes, I'll be there a few minutes before 3. So I wrote her back oh so nicely and said "fine, but she'll be dressed and outside on my front step waiting for you. You will not be coming in the house to pick her up, I don't need to risk waking the other children up."

She got pretty upset with me but I told her if she's going to break my rules, then you will play by my alternate rules ie-child waiting on front step all dressed and ready to go!.
Zoe 06:39 AM 03-15-2011
That's great!

Originally Posted by Little People:
And while you are out will you drive to WalMart and see if they will let me get your child's food for this week and see if I can pay them later

That's awesome! And exactly accurate for me! No paycheck, no food! Thankfully this gal isn't my major source of income, so I was having a hard time with how strict I should be. My DH convinced me that it isn't the amount of money...it's my policy and I need to enforce it.

I remember people saying on here, "I'm not in this business to make friends." That is something I need to post on my mirror!
Abigail 08:50 PM 03-15-2011
To the OP, does she pay by the day for everyday this week? You should have it in your contract that fees still apply until paid in full, not paid per day. LOL

Good for you for sticking to it! It will get easier each time. You should hang something on your wall as a reminder that you are a business. Maybe an open and close sign OR the name of your daycare.
Zoe 06:34 AM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
To the OP, does she pay by the day for everyday this week? You should have it in your contract that fees still apply until paid in full, not paid per day. LOL

Good for you for sticking to it! It will get easier each time. You should hang something on your wall as a reminder that you are a business. Maybe an open and close sign OR the name of your daycare.
No, she pays 25 dollars for the whole week. 25 dollars total. It's a set weekly fee for before and after school care. Told ya it was a steal! It's in the contract that she will pay this on Monday. So if I'm not paid, a daily late fee accrues. So yesterday when I reminded her that if she didn't pay me until Friday, then she'd have to pay me 40 dollars in late fees. Hardly seems worth it to me for a 25 dollar rate does it? That's why she miraculously found the money yesterday and only had to pay for one day late fee.
Meeko 09:44 AM 03-16-2011
*Glowing with pride at Zoe*
Originally Posted by Zoe:

Thanks everyone!

Tags:backbone, fees, late payment
Reply Up