Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Walkodile, Anyone Have One?
daycare 11:04 AM 02-10-2012
I had something similar to this in the past, but it was more of a hassle than anything. I am looking for something new. I came across this and want one, but wanted to see if anyone else has one and how it works our for them.... thanks in advance

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/...&Brand=&Price=

KEG123 11:10 AM 02-10-2012
I want it!
queenbee 11:26 AM 02-10-2012
I have a Walkodile.

I bought this over Christmas as a new present for our daycare. I used to have a basic walking rope but I was having the most difficult time getting my three 18-month olds to keep hanging on for our daily walk around the neighborhood. They'd constantly let go and I'd be so nervous!

It's been amazing. All of my walkers are super safe since they are basically strapped in and even if they let go of the handles, they still are connected and they basically get tugged a little bit before they realize they need to hang on.

Some things to know:

It says for children age 3-7 but I have my 18mo's connected and it works great. So it can be used for younger children.

There are only six spaces, but I can fit up to 9 of my kids on it. I basically connect the youngest 6, I have 2 of my oldest lead in the front on either side and 1 trailing on the back.

You WILL get stopped everywhere you go from people who comment on it Hopefully you have great walkers and listeners like my kids.

If you have the money, I say go for it! It's been a great investment for my daycare and I love it.
Country Kids 11:38 AM 02-10-2012
What happens though if one stumbles and starts to fall. Do they all fall? Would it knock everyone off balance?
daycare 11:39 AM 02-10-2012
Thank you for brining that up that was one of my concers also
queenbee 11:58 AM 02-10-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
What happens though if one stumbles and starts to fall. Do they all fall? Would it knock everyone off balance?
If one falls down.....that's all that happens. Because the harness has leeway, if someone trips they don't take down the whole bunch. No one else is affected. I'm pretty sure they show this in the video that's underneath the picture on the above website - hopefully you can see what I'm talking about.

I'm not sure if it's just how my current bunch handles things, but if one trips, they use both hands to pull themselves up using the handle and continue the walk. I've had kids who skinned their knees and they just keep on walking. They're tough cookies

Suggestion: You'll always want to put the youngest ones in the back because they are slower. If they are in front, the older ones naturally walk faster so they get rushed and this actually causes more stumbles. If the oldest ones are in front, it helps a lot by getting the younger ones to walk faster without being pushed from behind. My turtle walkers become joggers until they start walking at a faster pace.
daycare 12:18 PM 02-10-2012
thanks so much for responding to my post...
I just put my order in, but am bummed, because I had a 20% off coupon, but cant find it....oh well.

I am looking forward to it. I have one child that will not listen when we are out and we are out a lot. We have been holding off on park days, because the few field trips that we have had have not gone well due to the child trying to take off.

It feels like christmas....cant wait to get it
MrsB 12:21 PM 02-10-2012
the evil in me wants to be the observer that watches the trials on contraptions like these. Of course I wouldnt want any one to get hurt. But something makes me chuckle about little kids who arent paying attention tripping over each other.
daycare 12:29 PM 02-10-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
the evil in me wants to be the observer that watches the trials on contraptions like these. Of course I wouldnt want any one to get hurt. But something makes me chuckle about little kids who arent paying attention tripping over each other.
lol...its always funny when its not happening to you.....and of course no one is really hurt....
Michelle 12:47 PM 02-10-2012
after they learn to walk on the leash, you can teach them to roll over!

I'm sorry, I just don't like these things..I have a walking rope that has rings on it but barely use it.
queenbee 12:53 PM 02-10-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
thanks so much for responding to my post...
I just put my order in, but am bummed, because I had a 20% off coupon, but cant find it....oh well.

I am looking forward to it. I have one child that will not listen when we are out and we are out a lot. We have been holding off on park days, because the few field trips that we have had have not gone well due to the child trying to take off.

It feels like christmas....cant wait to get it
Yay It is definitely handy for field trips. We go to the library, the park, the zoo, the aquarium, children's museums, amusement parks, ect. and it's been great. You'll be very happy

I'm glad I could help!
Heidi 01:04 PM 02-13-2012
aww man...it's kind of pricey...Sure looks, nice, though!
Blackcat31 01:51 PM 02-13-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
aww man...it's kind of pricey...Sure looks, nice, though!
try this one.....http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/pro...=1329169805433

does the same thing but isn't nearly as comlicated or costly. Plus, as I said in chat, it is super easy to make your own too.
daycare 01:58 PM 02-13-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
try this one.....http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/pro...=1329169805433

does the same thing but isn't nearly as comlicated or costly. Plus, as I said in chat, it is super easy to make your own too.
thanks for posting that. the only reason I am looking at the one I posted is because we go out of the house LOTS.. I currently have one child that is a runner. He will not listen or stay with the group.

The one you posted, is there a way to secure the device to the child??
Blackcat31 02:02 PM 02-13-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
thanks for posting that. the only reason I am looking at the one I posted is because we go out of the house LOTS.. I currently have one child that is a runner. He will not listen or stay with the group.

The one you posted, is there a way to secure the device to the child??
No, but I use caribeaner (mountain climber clips) clips to secure the kids when we were learning to use it. I just added a smaller loop of rope and secure it onto their belt loop or their wrist (loosely). After all the kids have learned to hang on and NOT let go without permission, then we started venturing off our property. It didn't take them long to learn to stay put or we did't go. period.

I also attach the end of it to the stroller and follow them so I can give directions if necessary. I try to always place my oldest in front and rear.

I wasn't too keen on attaching the kids to the rope because if one tripped and they were attached....well, you get the picture...dominos....
daycare 02:11 PM 02-13-2012
No, but I use caribeaner (mountain climber clips) clips to secure the kids when we were learning to use it. I just added a smaller loop of rope and secure it onto their belt loop or their wrist (loosely). After all the kids have learned to hang on and NOT let go without permission, then we started venturing off our property. It didn't take them long to learn to stay put or we did't go. period.

I also attach the end of it to the stroller and follow them so I can give directions if necessary. I try to always place my oldest in front and rear.

I wasn't too keen on attaching the kids to the rope because if one tripped and they were attached....well, you get the picture...dominos....
got it!! Well I already placed the order for this one, but if for some reason it does not work out I would love to try your idea.

The one that I have I have even required to hold my hand while out on a field trip, but he will throw tantrums non stop trying to get out of holding my hand. Just this past week he threw himself down while holding my hand and took me down with him....ugh

I think that maybe if he is already set up to a device, he won't try so hard to get away and will get used to be hooked up?? I don't know..I have never had a kid like this before.....Gosh, just when I got comfy too....lol This job keeps me on my toes
Blackcat31 02:16 PM 02-13-2012
yikes! what a handful! What if he is attached to that device though and he falls down or refuses to move....what happens to all the other kids? Are they just drug along for the ride?
daycare 02:22 PM 02-13-2012
yikes! what a handful! What if he is attached to that device though and he falls down or refuses to move....what happens to all the other kids? Are they just drug along for the ride?
I have thought about that and one of the other people on here said that they have one and when one falls it does not take everyone down. I honestly don't know how it's going to go, but what I am doing now is not working, so I have to try something else.

If this does not work out, then little johnny will not get to attend any more Field trips...
The parents are aware and they admitted he does the same thing to them as well.....ugh

The best part is that when I told mom that I needed to try this becuase of her sweet LO, she offered to pay half. She is really desperate to see him succeed, because like I said, if he can't get ahold of how to stay with the group, she will need to keep him home on field trips days, which is at the least twice a week....
Michael 04:29 PM 02-13-2012
We previously had a thread on Walking Ropes: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23251
Heidi 04:45 PM 02-13-2012
I had a "runner" when I was 8 months preggers with my (now 11 yo) son. Every day I warned him...stay with the group or go in the cart. Every day, he took off, and 8 m pregnant me is chasing him down the block...ugh..

He's only one of two children I have ever terminated for behavior (the other was a 20 lb 4 mo who only nursed...and cried for 4 days solid).

N is now 13, and his mom and I are facebook friends (they now live in TX). Apparently, he's been in a Gifted and Talented program for most of school. Duh...he was smarter than I am!
Tags:field trip, field trip - gone bad, safety, walking ropes, walkodile
Reply Up