Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another "Organic/Healthy Only" DCM
midaycare 10:08 AM 09-04-2014
So dcm has been explicit about how dcg only eats organic/natural everything. No dyes or artificial anything. No processed. You know the type. Heck, I know the type. I try to eat that way most of the time. But I don't claim to be perfect in my diet and I allow for treats. Hello Mc'D's fries ... yeah, I see you ... yum.

So after all of this past month (about how long dcg has been here) of constant reminding (which I didn't need, tyvm), dcm tells me on Tuesday that on Monday dcg has movie theatre buttered popcorn and a bag (a bag!) of Twizzlers.

Dcg gets a diaper rash and dcm is convinced it was because of the food. I dunno. I don't care, as long as it is being taken care of and I have something to treat it with. Then she says as she is leaving, "She won't want morning snack. She just finished a crossiant from Starbucks".

Okay, good to know. So once in a while if I slip and feed dcg something non-organic and/or it doesn't come from a field made of heavenly grass, she will survive.
Thriftylady 10:13 AM 09-04-2014
Love it when they want you to treat their kid extra special so they can give them all crap lol.
Shell 10:24 AM 09-04-2014
I had to look at what state you were from to make sure you didn't get my dcm that was exactly like this! Parents wanted organic everything, I wasn't allowed to feed her meats because they only served her meat from a local farm share, organic snacks, vegetables, you name it! Boy was I surprised to see them at a local fair shoving the grossest, overly processed junk down their throats. Oh, and dcg was diagnosed with ftt- dcm told me they stuffed her with cookies and chocolate milk so she would weigh- in more Organic, apparently, only applied when I was paying money for it!
midaycare 10:34 AM 09-04-2014
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Love it when they want you to treat their kid extra special so they can give them all crap lol.
Exactly!!!
midaycare 10:37 AM 09-04-2014
Originally Posted by Shell:
I had to look at what state you were from to make sure you didn't get my dcm that was exactly like this! Parents wanted organic everything, I wasn't allowed to feed her meats because they only served her meat from a local farm share, organic snacks, vegetables, you name it! Boy was I surprised to see them at a local fair shoving the grossest, overly processed junk down their throats. Oh, and dcg was diagnosed with ftt- dcm told me they stuffed her with cookies and chocolate milk so she would weigh- in more Organic, apparently, only applied when I was paying money for it!
Yes, I am raising my prices for the next family who wants organic/healthy. I serve it 60-80% already, depending on the week. But really ... if you want to be a pita, then pay for it.
Solandia 10:45 AM 09-04-2014
I had a mom like that, and I won't do it again. Because cheese & crackers are junk food just like potato chips, you know. So every afternoon dcb got these nasty organic special crackers he refused to eat. (i did morning snack as a protein/veggie or fruit, afternoons were always a milk & cracker of some sort) He would just leave the table, shoulders slouched and sad. I even stopped doing birthday treats for the other kids, because mom refused to let him have carrot cake, because sugar(gasp!). And I just couldn't do it, and then hand him nasty crackers as a replacement. Prior to this family,I used to do TGIF for afternoon snack...like animal crackers, vanilla wafers, pretzels with almond bark to dip, banana muffins (or cake if there was a bday that week).

Then I ran into them at Target, while super boy was drinking a freaking hot chocolate from Starbux. Really?! I termed. I couldn't be meanie daycare lady to him anymore. It is more than just food, it is the fellowship of sharing a meal, celebrations, & the occasional treat. He was also failure to thrive. But dcm would be irritated that I put a bit of salt & pepper on his steamed broccoli. She seasoned nothing at her house, b/c she didn't want him to only eat foods with sauces & stuff on it. Yeah, I would be failure to thrive if my mom dished up plain boiled chicken & broccoli, too.
Blackcat31 10:49 AM 09-04-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Yes, I am raising my prices for the next family who wants organic/healthy. I serve it 60-80% already, depending on the week. But really ... if you want to be a pita, then pay for it.
That's what I started doing. I have an additional charge of $15 PER week for those children who's parents want an organic/natural diet.

Its amazing how many want this type of diet for their children....but ONLY when they are at your house. (Yes, DCM I see the McDonald's Happy Meal toys in your car every day )

ALL my parents wanted the organic/natural diet until I added the weekly fee...now only 1 mom wants it. Wonder why they changed their minds?
midaycare 10:58 AM 09-04-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That's what I started doing. I have an additional charge of $15 PER week for those children who's parents want an organic/natural diet.

Its amazing how many want this type of diet for their children....but ONLY when they are at your house. (Yes, DCM I see the McDonald's Happy Meal toys in your car every day )

ALL my parents wanted the organic/natural diet until I added the weekly fee...now only 1 mom wants it. Wonder why they changed their minds?
I'm glad you posted what you charge. Next time I interview ... which should be soon ... that will be part of my handbook.

As for current dcg - dcm knows I only serve what I can find organic/healthy/non-processed. The insistence that I go above and beyond is about to fall on deaf ears, though.
TwinKristi 11:04 AM 09-04-2014
Ugh... I hate that!! I haven't been blessed (haha) with one of those yet but honestly kids probably eat better here than they do at home. One DCB won't even eat at home, let alone eat veggies. He will down a pint of blueberries in one sitting though.

I have a DCM who insisted if I drove with her DCB that he sit rear-facing which is fine as I'm a big fan of extended rest facing. But then I saw dad loading up one day and neither parent has him rear-facing?
daycarediva 11:04 AM 09-04-2014
I charge $5 extra per week for organic milk.

Only one family took me up on that, the rest I buy regular milk (and pour most of THAT down the drain since it isn't chocolate)
SignMeUp 11:18 AM 09-04-2014
Ha. This all goes along with the formula-fed baby whose parent wants the most expensive one, provided by me. But at home, they drink Wal-Mart brand.
Blackcat31 11:26 AM 09-04-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
Ha. This all goes along with the formula-fed baby whose parent wants the most expensive one, provided by me. But at home, they drink Wal-Mart brand.
It's the same with diapers.

They always bring me the generic ones but when I do the first diaper change of the day, I notice the Pampers Supreme on the kid.

I always wonder what the parents reasoning for this is...it isn't like I am going to put their diapers on anyone else. It's their kid they are shorting not mine.
midaycare 11:30 AM 09-04-2014

They always bring me the generic ones but when I do the first diaper change of the day, I notice the Pampers Supreme on the kid.

I always wonder what the parents reasoning for this is...it isn't like I am going to put their diapers on anyone else. It's their kid they are shorting not mine.
The Pampers Supreme is probably just for show. At home they probably use generic too. Those are the "going out to show the Jones'" diapers.
Laurel 11:44 AM 09-04-2014
The Pampers Supreme is probably just for show. At home they probably use generic too. Those are the "going out to show the Jones'" diapers.

SignMeUp 12:42 PM 09-04-2014

Or, they decide to use up the old size on daycare and keep the larger ones (you know, the ones they don't blow up out of the back ) for home.
I mean, sometimes I don't even mind. I use the small ones for awake time and the larger ones for nap, assuming they allow me some larger ones
SignMeUp 12:44 PM 09-04-2014
Hey now. I have kids show off their underwear all the time. If they start showing off their diapers I am gonna be alllll
crazydaycarelady 01:46 PM 09-04-2014
Certain situations call for "tell them what they want to hear." Now that you know for sure dcm isn't opposed to non-organic food, just non-organic food at your house and on your dime, I would just tell her what she wants to hear. If you give fries describe them as baked potato wedges, etc.
deliberateliterate 03:01 PM 09-04-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
Certain situations call for "tell them what they want to hear." Now that you know for sure dcm isn't opposed to non-organic food, just non-organic food at your house and on your dime, I would just tell her what she wants to hear. If you give fries describe them as baked potato wedges, etc.
yes, lol!! I think in my entire daycare career I've had a parent ask *maybe* one time what was for lunch. Maybe. But I always fear that the days when I just throw something together will be the day they ask, so I always try to put a fancy spin on what we're serving, even if it's just for the benefit of the kids. Chicken strips in a wrap with cheese, corn and BBQ sauce become "south-west chicken and veggie wraps", mac & cheese becomes "whole wheat pasta with a cheesy sauce & steamed veggies". It's all about the spin.
AmyKidsCo 03:24 PM 09-04-2014
We buy un-processed, natural, and organic for our family as much as we can afford and the childcare gets the same foods, but if a family required 100% natural/organic I'd definitely charge them more or tell them I couldn't accommodate that request.
midaycare 04:56 PM 09-04-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
Agreed. She is now on a need to know basis re: food.
sahm1225 07:02 PM 09-04-2014
When my oldest was in daycare, I did just the opposite! I bought pampers for daycare and used genetic at home. I didn't want anyone to know that I used generic lol!
Mister Sir Husband 09:22 PM 09-04-2014
So here's my question.. if a parent insists on organic, and you do it for them, thus making the child clearly have to choose between something he doesn't like or go without... and you keep this up for months... And then you spot junior and his parents at the local fair stuffing down corn dogs and potato chips, how do you fight the urge to go over to them and question it?

If it were me, I'd not only say something but would be blunt enough about it that I would prolly faint if they showed up the next morning.
MissAnn 03:57 AM 09-05-2014
Originally Posted by Mister Sir Husband:
So here's my question.. if a parent insists on organic, and you do it for them, thus making the child clearly have to choose between something he doesn't like or go without... and you keep this up for months... And then you spot junior and his parents at the local fair stuffing down corn dogs and potato chips, how do you fight the urge to go over to them and question it?

If it were me, I'd not only say something but would be blunt enough about it that I would prolly faint if they showed up the next morning.
I had a mom who insisted on gluten free....her daughter had an intollerance. Another kid had a birthday party and pictures were posted on Facebook .....and there she was eating a great big cupcake.
laloolee 05:10 AM 09-05-2014
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
I had a mom who insisted on gluten free....her daughter had an intollerance. Another kid had a birthday party and pictures were posted on Facebook .....and there she was eating a great big cupcake.
It might have been a gluten free cupcake. They look and (pretty much) taste the same (at least to me). I sometimes bring GF treats to a party for everyone so I am not the only one there not celebrating with the foods.
Blackcat31 05:37 AM 09-05-2014
Originally Posted by Mister Sir Husband:

Meh.... I have eliminated any reason for me to feel resentful or upset about the different set of standards parents have by earning a few bucks off the parents that request specialized diets.

I try to buy organic when I can but it isn't always available here. If a parent insists on a strict organic or "specialized" diet ALL the time, I charge extra for that. If they want to pay me to feed their kid well so they can stuff themselves with cotton candy and corn dogs on the weekends, then more power to them.

I am being compensated so I don't care about the rest. It has no bearing or impact on me.
SignMeUp 10:23 AM 09-05-2014
Does the FP allow that? I think I asked when I had a child whose mom self-diagnosed her child's allergies to almost everything. I believe I was told that I could not have the parents supply food, and that I could not charge them more either.

What I could do was charge everyone more (raise my rates to everyone) or let the parent opt out of the FP.

Although - if it were a new family requesting special diet, I suppose you could just quote a higher rate to compensate for the special diet.
Blackcat31 10:38 AM 09-05-2014
Does the FP allow that? I think I asked when I had a child whose mom self-diagnosed her child's allergies to almost everything. I believe I was told that I could not have the parents supply food, and that I could not charge them more either.

What I could do was charge everyone more (raise my rates to everyone) or let the parent opt out of the FP.

Although - if it were a new family requesting special diet, I suppose you could just quote a higher rate to compensate for the special diet.
My rate includes all meals/snacks for everyone (equally) served while the child is present. (meets legal equity rules )

If parents want "extra" on top of that service (ex: organic only etc) then they pay for that option.

Just like the parent who gets the basic picture package for school pictures. Everyone pays the same. Those that want MORE on top of what's already offered pay more.

My FP rep has always okay/supported this as allowed so unless I'm told otherwise, that's how I present it.
Blackcat31 10:46 AM 09-05-2014
The mom with self diagnosed allergies is similar to a situation I had a while back too...

First she tried to get a Dr's note but since I watched her forge the Dr's signature and refused to accept the diet statement, she went the supply food route....

She had the option of not participating in the FP and supplying her own meals but suddenly realized that meant supplying ALL components of each meal/snack was going to be hard so her child was miraculously cured of any allergies they previously had.
SignMeUp 10:59 AM 09-05-2014
The mom with self diagnosed allergies is similar to a situation I had a while back too...

First she tried to get a Dr's note but since I watched her forge the Dr's signature and refused to accept the diet statement, she went the supply food route....

She had the option of not participating in the FP and supplying her own meals but suddenly realized that meant supplying ALL components of each meal/snack was going to be hard so her child was miraculously cured of any allergies they previously had.
That is similar to what mine did too. Opted out of the FP, and then I asked her to supply the most expensive/hard to find special items. I basically supplied fruits and veggies (though supposedly he couldn't have many of those either). But week after week, she dropped items from his allergy list so that I could buy them instead of her.
She wanted her child to be "special" in many other ways too, and after two years I decided not to renew our contract. She took that badly, unfortunately.
And then my most recent fiasco family hooked up with her family for playdates, right before fiasco family terminated me. But they say I terminated them

I hope they're happy together I really do. But their poor children are hot messes, because their parents are. I could worry for my reputation/record (and do, a bit) especially since one is a neighbor. The other is neighbors with other former families (who loved it here).

Prior to these unhappy souls, I have terminated one (1) family in thirty plus years, and that was thirty years ago. And no one has ever terminated me before.

At the time, I took it personally. But now I don't
TwinKristi 11:01 AM 09-05-2014
I kinda have the opposite problem! I insist on feeding DCB a gluten-free diet because I know he functions much better on it but his family isn't really on the same page at home. When he starts having blowouts I call for pickup and that usually gets them back on track! But Tuesday he had one for the first time in months and I know he ate gluten over the long weekend and told mom it sucks that I pay the extra money and take the extra time for GF foods but they don't seem to do the same. I even offered to shop with mom so she can buy the foods I buy and serve because she claims he won't eat stuff at home. I even took a video of him eating broccoli for her to see! She couldn't believe it!
He hasn't been diagnosed but has major blowouts and chronic diarrhea when he eats gluten. He doesn't have insurance so his mom hasn't been able to take him in for testing (very pricey) so we just did a food diary and eliminated gluten which helped tremendously with his bowels, his bruising, speech, etc. I just substitute normal component of meals with a GF option for him or just serve it to everyone. Like corn tortillas for quesadillas instead of flour, actually cheaper! I get him GF bunny grahams or graham crackers, rice crackers, etc. and get everyone else the regular variety. I get him Chex for cereal and everyone else gets Cheerios or Frosted Mini Wheats. He gets a box of GF waffles, everyone else gets Eggo. Chicken nuggets (when we have them) I do GF for him but regular for everyone else, chicken sausages I buy GF for everyone, pasta I used to do separately but now I either serve GF to everyone or serve regular pasta when he's not here. Bread for sandwiches I buy one loaf GF and keep in the freezer and defrost 2 slices at a time... Lasts about a month. It's definitely more expensive but I usually make a profit on the FP when it comes to daycare since they pay me for my kids too during daycare.
MissAnn 11:08 AM 09-05-2014
Originally Posted by laloolee:
It might have been a gluten free cupcake. They look and (pretty much) taste the same (at least to me). I sometimes bring GF treats to a party for everyone so I am not the only one there not celebrating with the foods.
No it wasn't. I had spies. LOL.
laloolee 02:42 PM 09-05-2014
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
No it wasn't. I had spies. LOL.
Oooh... Busted!
laloolee 02:57 PM 09-05-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
I kinda have the opposite problem! I insist on feeding DCB a gluten-free diet because I know he functions much better on it but his family isn't really on the same page at home. When he starts having blowouts I call for pickup and that usually gets them back on track! But Tuesday he had one for the first time in months and I know he ate gluten over the long weekend and told mom it sucks that I pay the extra money and take the extra time for GF foods but they don't seem to do the same. I even offered to shop with mom so she can buy the foods I buy and serve because she claims he won't eat stuff at home. I even took a video of him eating broccoli for her to see! She couldn't believe it!
He hasn't been diagnosed but has major blowouts and chronic diarrhea when he eats gluten. He doesn't have insurance so his mom hasn't been able to take him in for testing (very pricey) so we just did a food diary and eliminated gluten which helped tremendously with his bowels, his bruising, speech, etc. I just substitute normal component of meals with a GF option for him or just serve it to everyone.

What a shame that the parents can't get with the program after all of your hard work to conduct a mystery diagnosis and make accomodations. These symptoms can knock a grown person down and can worsen over time so to subject a child to unnecessary illness is unconscionable. He is lucky to have someone like you to look out for him.
renodeb 03:27 PM 09-05-2014
I think parents who want the all organic start out all gunho and then soon find out how hard it is to keep up the lifestyle. Or they want to keep up the appearance. Luckily I haven't had very many parents like this. I buy some organic but it gets to be expensive.
My sister in law is one of those all natural &organic types. They have a 6 year old. When we get to see them it is usually on vacation and all he wants is junk food because all he gets at home is the natural /organic stuff. No that I'm knocking those choices but she even brought organic coffee/sugar but I just couldn't bring myself to use it. It even looked strange to me. I don't even think my nephew even likes those foods but she's a nut about it! She's a bit of a hypocrite to though. One time it was my bil's bday, she got him this huge cake, refused a piece but later that night I saw her have a big piece. Whatever!
TwinKristi 03:46 PM 09-05-2014
Originally Posted by laloolee:
What a shame that the parents can't get with the program after all of your hard work to conduct a mystery diagnosis and make accomodations. These symptoms can knock a grown person down and can worsen over time so to subject a child to unnecessary illness is unconscionable. He is lucky to have someone like you to look out for him.
Thank you

Sadly mom is single and often relies on her mom and cousin to help on weekends and other days and they're more the problem than mom is. I think sometimes she gives him stuff here and there but the cousin's kids supposedly gave him something Monday and Gma admitted to giving him things just being lazy or not watching him well enough. Mom has brought GF cupcakes for him, GF frozen pizza, etc. She is much better than the family members BUT she still isn't 100% on board which is frustrating at times. But really, that's the least of their worries with this guy. It's a sad situation.
hsdcmama 07:23 PM 09-05-2014
That is similar to what mine did too. Opted out of the FP, and then I asked her to supply the most expensive/hard to find special items. I basically supplied fruits and veggies (though supposedly he couldn't have many of those either). But week after week, she dropped items from his allergy list so that I could buy them instead of her.
She wanted her child to be "special" in many other ways too, and after two years I decided not to renew our contract. She took that badly, unfortunately.
And then my most recent fiasco family hooked up with her family for playdates, right before fiasco family terminated me. But they say I terminated them

I hope they're happy together I really do. But their poor children are hot messes, because their parents are. I could worry for my reputation/record (and do, a bit) especially since one is a neighbor. The other is neighbors with other former families (who loved it here).

Prior to these unhappy souls, I have terminated one (1) family in thirty plus years, and that was thirty years ago. And no one has ever terminated me before.

At the time, I took it personally. But now I don't
Oh man, so I'm not the only one who had a neighbor go nuts on them! I worry a little about my reputation, but it sucks more that former dcd is hunting buddies w/ my husband so he's over here all the time. Awkward...
Unregistered 08:10 AM 09-13-2014
While I agree with this lifestyle and wish I could 100 percent cover the cost for everyone to eat these foods, it is not possible.

I spend more on food every week because of eating mostly fruits and vegetables that are fresh. Then you add the packaged all organic types of food, grass fed items, alternative nutbutters and it is just not within my small childcare budget.

I am thinking of possibly having my parent either get a diet statement or supplying the meals.

When said her daughter was allergic to peanut butter and daughter has been eating it forever and this was not diagnosed by a doctor or an allergen. I am just at a loss because every time her kids get something the food has something to do with it.

Let alone the alternative milks................
Soccermom 08:52 AM 09-16-2014
Why do all the parents suddenly want their kids to be "special" and require special diets all the time?!! It drives me crazy!

Children want to conform to the norm and be like everyone else.

Why do they insist their child eat cardboard or crap while everyone else is enjoying healthy but not weird food!?

I am all about nutrition, especially when it comes to kids and agree that organic is best when it is available and not going to cost a small fortune but some of these parents are getting REALLY weird about the whole thing!!

My DCPs provide all food for their kids in the form of a lunchbox and last year I had a sibling set that only ate homemade, all natural, organic foods....which would have been okay if the DCM would have been a decent cook. Watching these poor kids look at everyone else's snacks while trying to force down dry, gross looking, sugar free pumpkin and date bread made me so sad. She would also send them just plain homemade yogurt....gross!! The 4 year old would cry when she saw that in her lunch. What is wrong with adding a bit of honey or homemade jam!!?

Some days I think that since parents no longer spank their children, they torture them with food and special diets for no good reason instead.
Dilley Beans 04:54 PM 09-16-2014
If a parent insists on a special diet, why don't you make them pack the kids lunch? You don't miss out on that much money from the food program by not providing for this child. If they aren't eating what I am serving, then the parents have to provide for them. If it isn't really that important to the parents, then it won't be an issue after that.

Also, someone said something about providing a better quality formula than they use at home. A baby should not have different formulas it should be the exact same thing every time or they might have tummy troubles. Diapers are different, but you should always insist that the formula be identical, so far as to insist they provide it.

Speaking of the diapers though, if a brand causes leaking or blow outs, you should be able to insist they bring a different kid, this is a health issue as bodily fluids are not being contained safely.
lynne 06:23 PM 09-16-2014
I have a DCM that is vegan and insists that no dairy or meat be fed to her child...I don't have much problem with it but this child is 22 months old and is still drinking 8-9 full bottles of soy milk a day...She has gotten where she wont eat the food I make.. veg chilli, stirfrys that sort of thing... she's tiny and thin. I'm getting frustrated with mom.. the bottles are giving this little one a feeling of fullness and she's not eating food. Today when she was dropped off I took all the bottles away and wouldn't give them to her, she still wont eat and cried for her baabaa. I'm so done with this, I have 2 DCB's that have just been weaned from the bottle and when she has one in her mouth they zero in on her. I've told DCM not to send bottles anymore but she still does.I can see this little one is not getting the nutri that she needs.. I just don't know what to do..Sorry to highjack..
LysesKids 06:40 PM 09-16-2014
Originally Posted by lynne:
I have a DCM that is vegan and insists that no dairy or meat be fed to her child...I don't have much problem with it but this child is 22 months old and is still drinking 8-9 full bottles of soy milk a day...She has gotten where she wont eat the food I make.. veg chilli, stirfrys that sort of thing... she's tiny and thin. I'm getting frustrated with mom.. the bottles are giving this little one a feeling of fullness and she's not eating food. Today when she was dropped off I took all the bottles away and wouldn't give them to her, she still wont eat and cried for her baabaa. I'm so done with this, I have 2 DCB's that have just been weaned from the bottle and when she has one in her mouth they zero in on her. I've told DCM not to send bottles anymore but she still does.I can see this little one is not getting the nutri that she needs.. I just don't know what to do..Sorry to highjack..
I would be terminating this kid, but then again as an Organic daycare, I wouldn't have put up with a kid that gets 8-9 full bottles of soy formula a day, especially at 22 months. I have no problem doing a Vegan diet (I have Vegan family members), however, there is a limit on what is right and what is insane... My kids learn to not take a bottle at by 12-13 months.
Tags:organic, parents - ask too much
Reply Up