Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cut-off Time?
MomBoss 06:49 AM 12-04-2017
Does anybody have a cutoff time for dropping kids off? Where if they are not here by a certain time they forfeit their day? I didnt think I would need one, but when dcb didnt show up at regular time, i texted dad and he said mom was going to drop him off around 2:30.....2:30?!
I didnt have it in my contract that there cant be any drop offs or pick ups during nap time, but now I feel I need to write it!
I keep my doors locked after all kids have been dropped off, now with him saying "around" I have no idea when they are really coming.
amberrose3dg 06:53 AM 12-04-2017
I do not allow for that late of drop offs. First off it is in the middle of nap time. That is extremely disruptive. The other thing is most likely are not planning for that. I would simply tell them if they are not dropping off at their scheduled time they need to ask for permission before doing so.
I have termed over this.
Blackcat31 07:26 AM 12-04-2017
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
Does anybody have a cutoff time for dropping kids off? Where if they are not here by a certain time they forfeit their day? I didnt think I would need one, but when dcb didnt show up at regular time, i texted dad and he said mom was going to drop him off around 2:30.....2:30?!
I didnt have it in my contract that there cant be any drop offs or pick ups during nap time, but now I feel I need to write it!
I keep my doors locked after all kids have been dropped off, now with him saying "around" I have no idea when they are really coming.
I don't have a drop off time, but I do expect parents to communicate with me so I can plan. If it's a one time thing, I don't think it's a big deal but if the parent is consistently outside their normal schedule, I might have a discussion with them in regards to how that type of thing is disruptive to our day.

As for drop offs, during nap time, now that the state has said we can't include that wording in our policies , I found a way around it by saying "Drop off/pick up times must not take place during a time in which it is disruptive to others in attendance."

That way I am not specifically saying "No drop offs during nap time" I think the parent "gets it".
If not, I'd probably think about letting them go. Its hard to work within a GROUP of others when one family/parent simply disregards the needs of others. That type of family needs a nanny.
Cat Herder 07:43 AM 12-04-2017
I have an arrival cut off time. I work alone. My drop off time ends with the beginning of the groups circle time. We have a full schedule each day, I am busy. Interruptions are not fair to the rest of the group

The only exception is a well-care doctors appointment, scheduled in advance, so I can plan for it. I would probably work with an emergency situation, but as history would have it, those seem to only happen with departure times.
storybookending 07:53 AM 12-04-2017
I think I’m the only one here that just doesn’t see this as an issue. I’m not gonna complain about an quieter morning ever. I have no drop off cut off time, I do however expect communication if you are going to be late as after a certain amount of time has passed with no call/text due to licensing I am supposed to call them and if I can’t get ahold of them report a missing child.. none of my parents linger at drop off so it’s not much of a distraction for them to drop the child off, wave from the living room/playroom and have the child come and join whatever activity we are doing at the time.
Blackcat31 07:56 AM 12-04-2017
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I think I’m the only one here that just doesn’t see this as an issue. I’m not gonna complain about an quieter morning ever. I have no drop off cut off time, I do however expect communication if you are going to be late as after a certain amount of time has passed with no call/text due to licensing I am supposed to call them and if I can’t get ahold of them report a missing child.. none of my parents linger at drop off so it’s not much of a distraction for them to drop the child off, wave from the living room/playroom and have the child come and join whatever activity we are doing at the time.
It doesn't bother me either (unless it's disruptive to everyone) but usually it's really no biggie.

As for calling when they don't show up; I would NEVER agree to do that. If I did, that would mean I am assuming responsibility for them and I refuse to do that. If licensing ever required that of us here, I'd quit that same day.
DaveA 08:01 AM 12-04-2017
I don't have an official cut off time. I'm also very specific with DCPs that if they show up after 9 and we're already on an offsite activity they can either come back once we return or meet us where we're at. As for after lunch I encourage them to drop off before naptime but don't say no to it.
mommyneedsadayoff 08:02 AM 12-04-2017
I would text mom and ask when he is coming. "Dcm, unfortunately, a 2:30 drop off will not work for me as it will disrupt the group during nap time. Please bring him prior to 1:00 (or whenever nap begins) READY for nap as he will also need to lay down, or after nap ends at 3:00. Thank you for understanding!"

I have a cut off time for two reasons. First, when kids come at odd hours, I find they have not eaten, napped, ect, so our day is off from the get go. Second, I really prefer consistency for myself and for the child. I don't care if they are gonna be late and give me a heads up, but if it is an everyday thing with no notice, I would tire of it very quickly and find a better fit.
MomBoss 08:09 AM 12-04-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't have a drop off time, but I do expect parents to communicate with me so I can plan. If it's a one time thing, I don't think it's a big deal but if the parent is consistently outside their normal schedule, I might have a discussion with them in regards to how that type of thing is disruptive to our day.

As for drop offs, during nap time, now that the state has said we can't include that wording in our policies , I found a way around it by saying "Drop off/pick up times must not take place during a time in which it is disruptive to others in attendance."

That way I am not specifically saying "No drop offs during nap time" I think the parent "gets it".
If not, I'd probably think about letting them go. Its hard to work within a GROUP of others when one family/parent simply disregards the needs of others. That type of family needs a nanny.
My state has this policy too. I think I might say, no drop offs after 12 and out of courtesy to the other children please schedule apts early morning or late afternoon that way its not during a disruptive time. That way im not denying them access to their child. This parent also told me once that mom was going to pick up at 2:30 but never showed up and never told me they changed their mind.
storybookending 08:10 AM 12-04-2017
It doesn't bother me either (unless it's disruptive to everyone) but usually it's really no biggie.

As for calling when they don't show up; I would NEVER agree to do that. If I did, that would mean I am assuming responsibility for them and I refuse to do that. If licensing ever required that of us here, I'd quit that same day.
I never really thought about it that way. I’m not sure the exact wording of the rule. I know when I did after school group care it was something ridiculous like if the child didn’t show up within 10 minutes of the bell the assistant teacher was supposed to preform an “exhaustive search” while the lead called all phone numbers listed on their contact sheet to find them. This was of course when children were getting themselves from their classroom to the gym or cafeteria where after care was held and not parents bringing them in obviously so it’s a little different.

If this ever happened we were instructed to call our directior and she was responsible for making the missing child call. She would first try all of the numbers we had just tried again and leave yet another message. In my 4 years as Lead at my one school I only ever had this happen once (where we couldn’t get ahold of anyone). I tracked down child’s teacher and she said she didn’t physically see her leave with grandma but she was saying all day how grandma was picking her up instead of after care. My director took this as enough incentive to assume the child was safe (again not my call) and waited it out until the child’s mom finally called back. My mom gave that mom a talking to and it never happened again.

Off to search what the exact wording is for family child care.
Snowmom 08:11 AM 12-04-2017
I do have a cut off time: 8:45am.

I have school agers I need to get on the bus and the bus stop is in my driveway, so I don't want people pulling into my driveway, blocking their bus stop and creating a hazard.

If parents want to schedule a late drop off, I will with at least a 10 hour notice, but I need to ok it- they don't just get to say they're doing it.

My house set up is very open and noise carries immensely in here. So, I am just not open to waking everyone up at nap for a drop off/pick up. If they do it, I'll give them their child and a term notice. I don't fool around with nap time and I expect enrolled families to be courteous to not only me and my schedule, but all the families enrolled here, which includes a much needed rest time.
Blackcat31 08:12 AM 12-04-2017
My state has this policy too. I think I might say, no drop offs after 12 and out of courtesy to the other children please schedule apts early morning or late afternoon that way its not during a disruptive time. That way im not denying them access to their child. This parent also told me once that mom was going to pick up at 2:30 but never showed up and never told me they changed their mind.
We are in the same state
MomBoss 08:16 AM 12-04-2017
Another parent was late dropping off today by an hour. We were in the middle of a book and this kid has a hard time with drop offs. Had to stop reading to get this child, now the rest of the kids started wandering away. Lost the focus. Then mom says she didnt eat breakfast. I basically said oh well, lunch is in 2 hrs. Breakfast was over an hour ago and i cleaned up already and the table now has our art project set up on it.
hwichlaz 08:16 AM 12-04-2017
I don't, but I don't allow drop off during nap.
Blackcat31 08:16 AM 12-04-2017
I never really thought about it that way. I’m not sure the exact wording of the rule. I know when I did after school group care it was something ridiculous like if the child didn’t show up within 10 minutes of the bell the assistant teacher was supposed to preform an “exhaustive search” while the lead called all phone numbers listed on their contact sheet to find them. This was of course when children were getting themselves from their classroom to the gym or cafeteria where after care was held and not parents bringing them in obviously so it’s a little different.

If this ever happened we were instructed to call our directior and she was responsible for making the missing child call. She would first try all of the numbers we had just tried again and leave yet another message. In my 4 years as Lead at my one school I only ever had this happen once (where we couldn’t get ahold of anyone). I tracked down child’s teacher and she said she didn’t physically see her leave with grandma but she was saying all day how grandma was picking her up instead of after care. My director took this as enough incentive to assume the child was safe (again not my call) and waited it out until the child’s mom finally called back. My mom gave that mom a talking to and it never happened again.

Off to search what the exact wording is for family child care.
Luckily you work in a center so YOU wouldnt be assuming liability on your own like an in home provider would be.

If you want to read a bit about the thought process behind why providers dont want to be responsible for calling when parents dont show up, here is a good thread

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84386

@MomBoss.... Sorry for the thread hi-jack.
hwichlaz 08:17 AM 12-04-2017
Another parent was late dropping off today by an hour. We were in the middle of a book and this kid has a hard time with drop offs. Had to stop reading to get this child, now the rest of the kids started wandering away. Lost the focus. Then mom says she didnt eat breakfast. I basically said oh well, lunch is in 2 hrs. Breakfast was over an hour ago and i cleaned up already and the table now has our art project set up on it.
"If you arrive late and we're in the middle of an activity, you'll need to sign your child in, put their shoes and coat away, and come get them settled into our activity so that the other childrens' learning time isn't disrupted."
storybookending 08:31 AM 12-04-2017
Luckily you work in a center so YOU wouldnt be assuming liability on your own like an in home provider would be.

If you want to read a bit about the thought process behind why providers dont want to be responsible for calling when parents dont show up, here is a good thread

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84386

@MomBoss.... Sorry for the thread hi-jack.
The story I told was from when I was in a center but I do home care now. I will read this thread at nap time. I completely understand why providers would not want to assume the liability. I scanned our licensing book and couldn’t find what I was looking for (doesn’t mean it’s not in there) but I could be wrong and this might only apply to group care in centers and not in homes. Maybe AmyKidsCo will see this and can clairify. I haven’t been doing this as long so I’m no expert.
amberrose3dg 08:33 AM 12-04-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
"If you arrive late and we're in the middle of an activity, you'll need to sign your child in, put their shoes and coat away, and come get them settled into our activity so that the other childrens' learning time isn't disrupted."
My issue is usually they haven't ate so they will expect you to feed them(meanwhile lunch has been done and cleaned up from). The child usually will not lay down for a nap etc..
I have also had parents think the child can stay later when they drop off later. I do scheduled hours, not open to close care.

I had a grandma try and drop off at 145. Right smack in the middle of my nap. She was beating on my door like the police, sounded like she was gonna kick it in. We are now located on my lower level and she then tried walking around the back of my house and knock like that directly on the door where children were sleeping. That is why I do not allow late drop offs without asking me first.
I have a 3 year old that comes 4 days a week and is dropped off at 2. I have no issues with it as it is scheduled and done so that no one else is disrupted.
Cat Herder 08:58 AM 12-04-2017
The story I told was from when I was in a center but I do home care now. I will read this thread at nap time. I completely understand why providers would not want to assume the liability. I scanned our licensing book and couldn’t find what I was looking for (doesn’t mean it’s not in there) but I could be wrong and this might only apply to group care in centers and not in homes. Maybe AmyKidsCo will see this and can clairify. I haven’t been doing this as long so I’m no expert.
I call too. It is *highly recommended* because of the large numbers of kids being left in hot/cold cars to die. If they are 30 minutes past their typical arrival time I fire off a text to both parents. They know I do, so learn to text me first pretty quickly.
Play Care 11:25 AM 12-04-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I call too. It is *highly recommended* because of the large numbers of kids being left in hot/cold cars to die. If they are 30 minutes past their typical arrival time I fire off a text to both parents. They know I do, so learn to text me first pretty quickly.
I do as well. Especially since I've been up to my neck in infants the last two years. I have had parents show up 10-15 minutes late telling me that they've started on their way to work before they remembered they had to do day care drop off.

I DO have a drop off cut off. I have no issue going about our day, but I have found that no matter who the child or family is, when they come in late, they are completely off their schedule and are miserable/hungry/tired, etc. And while yes, I could call for pick up, that can cause it's own issues. I would much rather say "not after 9 am" and be done with it. I feel like this job is hard enough as it is, so I need policies that make my life a little easier
MomBoss 12:53 PM 12-04-2017
2:30 turned into 3:00...gahhh!
storybookending 03:14 PM 12-04-2017
2:30 turned into 3:00...gahhh!
At that rate what is the point? Do you charge hourly?
MomBoss 03:45 PM 12-04-2017
At that rate what is the point? Do you charge hourly?
Nope, weekly rate. He ended up crying the whole time and made himself throw up because he was so upset.
storybookending 04:58 PM 12-04-2017
Nope, weekly rate. He ended up crying the whole time and made himself throw up because he was so upset.
Aw that’s too bad. I only asked bc my cousin does hourly and I don’t know how she does it. This one comes at 10, this one doesn’t come till 2 this one sometimes comes at 9 and sometimes noon. It would drive me nuts!
Tags:arrival times, drop off time
Reply Up