Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ramps for DC
Josiegirl 04:31 AM 04-06-2018
Maybe this is a state by state thing but I was wondering if ramps simply going into my backyard, has to adhere to state rules? I asked my licensor and she said I don't think so. I asked a contractor and he said yep. But then I don't think he really wanted to take on the job I was seeking; he's more into building homes. Then I asked a handyman and he said you didn't need to have a ramp like that to follow the strict criteria. But his quote was so low and he acted kind of unprofessional that I didn't trust him to do a good job. I just don't want to go with stairs because it'd be another safety concern.
Any help or ideas are appreciated!
LysesKids 04:45 AM 04-06-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Maybe this is a state by state thing but I was wondering if ramps simply going into my backyard, has to adhere to state rules? I asked my licensor and she said I don't think so. I asked a contractor and he said yep. But then I don't think he really wanted to take on the job I was seeking; he's more into building homes. Then I asked a handyman and he said you didn't need to have a ramp like that to follow the strict criteria. But his quote was so low and he acted kind of unprofessional that I didn't trust him to do a good job. I just don't want to go with stairs because it'd be another safety concern.
The guys that did my deck & stairs (including custom gates to keep littles from getting to stairs) said any professional contractor has to build to state code, including ramps; eventually I will be changing my back steps to a ramp, so I asked. Here in TN, rules change by county even for codes, so my deck, while legal in Blount Co, isn't in Sevier lol. Think about it, if you go to sell, a ramp that isn't to code my be a drawback. Also, having a ramp to code could be in your favor as you can say you are Handicap accessible. Just my take on it
DaveA 05:10 AM 04-06-2018
How far of a drop is it? That might have a bearing on the answers.
Blackcat31 06:59 AM 04-06-2018
I would google your city building codes.
It should list some guidelines about that type of thing
storybookending 08:15 AM 04-06-2018
One of my best friends is in a wheel chair. In my city you do need a building permit to build a ramp but the work does not have to be done by a contractor. In my friends case his dad built all the ramps, he had to submit plans to the city to approve but could do the work himself. We talked about adding a ramp to my property as him getting into my house is a chore but we’ve got it down to a pretty good science. As far as licensing the wood for the sides of the ramp just had to be no more than 4 inches apart just as the sides of a deck or porch would.
hwichlaz 10:12 AM 04-06-2018
You need a permit to build one in most areas. But you do NOT need a permit to purchase a prebuilt ramp.
Annalee 10:15 AM 04-06-2018
The fire marshall dictates my railings, etc. Licensing has no input on that. Railings are included in my fire codes.
Josiegirl 10:25 AM 04-06-2018
Originally Posted by DaveA:
How far of a drop is it? That might have a bearing on the answers.
I'm not sure how far off the ground it is(maybe 6') and that's why stairs were suggested instead of a ramp, because if I had to build them to code they'd go way out all over my backyard. Lol
But does it make a difference if they're built to NOT be used as handicap accessible? I just cannot picture trying to help toddlers down the stairs and bringing strollers up/down.
LysesKids 10:41 AM 04-06-2018
I'm not sure how far off the ground it is(maybe 6') and that's why stairs were suggested instead of a ramp, because if I had to build them to code they'd go way out all over my backyard. Lol
But does it make a difference if they're built to NOT be used as handicap accessible? I just cannot picture trying to help toddlers down the stairs and bringing strollers up/down.
If the ramp is too steep it will defeat the purpose also won't it? I mean a toddler could tumble if they don't have proper balance - that's why Ramps are done to code; so you can roll up & down them without falling or having to push as hard uphill. Personally I would still check city/county & fire regulations because they will trump licensing. And if you do stairs, just have a custom gate done like I did (I can even padlock mine when I go out of town).
DaveA 11:20 AM 04-06-2018
I was wondering if it was just a couple inches or a single step. That big of a drop will need a pretty substantial ramp. I doubt you would find a contractor willing to do ramp for that height that didn't meet ADA standards or local codes.
hwichlaz 02:26 PM 04-06-2018
What about a portable ramp on hinges so you can flip it up against the side railing or house when you aren’t using it?
Attached: DA91D969-27F9-47E5-B8D3-B5492E101739.jpg (327.9 KB) 
Tags:back yard, back yard ramp, ramps
Reply Up