Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Inclement Weather
MissAnn 08:09 AM 02-11-2014
When the local schools close do you

1. Close and charge
2. Close and don't charge
3. Stay open and charge

What is your attitude when teachers bring their kids when they have the day off?
VTMom 08:17 AM 02-11-2014
I stay open and charge. My daycare is out of my house so I have no place to travel to. I have 2 parents that are teachers, so typically if there is no snow, they've left the decision to come or not up to the kids (9 times out of 10 they'd rather be here). The others work out of town and have never had a day off due to weather.

When I first started, I had a family that would have a parent home on week long vacation (to putter) and she'd bring both kids every single day and still be the last pick-up. I just didn't get it and it would aggravate me. Weirdest thing is that the oldest had some serious behavior problems . Someone taking a day to themselves here and there does not bother me.
Leigh 08:22 AM 02-11-2014
I will stay open if I feel it is safe to stay open. I have a family whose dad is a snow plow driver...he HAS to go to work. Mom works for the department, too, and she usually has to work on snow days, as well. These kids are the only ones that show up on those kinds of days, and only when they HAVE to work. My families pay the same every week, regardless of whether I close or they decide to stay home. My pay NEVER changes...I contract for a yearly salary with my families and make it payable weekly, monthly, or yearly (no one has chosen that one yet!).

As far as teachers...I don't like having kids when parents are off work, but when parents have jobs like sales, teaching, and others where they must do some of their work from home, I assume that they are spending the day catching up on work.
Second Home 08:23 AM 02-11-2014
I stay open and charge , though if it bad most parents keep their kids home . I only close for no power/heat and if a state of emergency is declared .
SilverSabre25 08:24 AM 02-11-2014
business as usual
Blackcat31 08:25 AM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by MissAnn:

1. Close and charge
3. Stay open and charge

What is your attitude when teachers bring their kids when they have the day off?
Do you want this in poll format?
Cat Herder 09:18 AM 02-11-2014
Open.

No discount offered for staying home.

Fully expect them to come and get their moneys worth.

It is the cultural norm, now.
Annalee 09:30 AM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by MissAnn:

1. Close and charge
3. Stay open and charge

As long as the weather hasn't affected the electricity or water, I open and charge. There are three children in my care that will be here rain, sleet, snow, hail, and ride a horse to get here if they have to while parents go home with the school-age siblings. REALLY SAD!!!!!! I do not hide the way I feel about the issue, but nothing seems to get to the parents!!!!
MissAnn 09:32 AM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Do you want this in poll format?
Maybe I should have.....but you know how it is when you just want to post quickly and get back to watching kids! LOL.

It does bother me when teachers bring their kids. It's usually the kids with poor behavior and the parents want "me" time. I do understand, but it's always the same families and I feel sorry for the kids.
butterfly 09:42 AM 02-11-2014
Basically I close with pay.

I watch mostly teacher children and since I follow the school calendar, it's implied that I'm closed. I do have a couple families who still have to work (work for another district that is open) and I will accommodate them coming. I strongly discourage coming if they don't have to work as several of my families live out of town and I don't want to have to worry about emergency type situations where the parent isn't able to make it back into town to get their kids.
Tags:inclement weather, me time, weather policy
Reply Up