Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Get Your Clients?
booroo 07:51 AM 02-15-2010
Ok, so i just opened....Im still in the process of getting families and my license, but Im opened now and I have gotten 1 child. Then 2 drop ins. I got a call from a family that takes state aid, I will be signing up for this and getting it before I get my licenses. But This family is changing daycare because they dont like the way their daycare person looks, and dresses. Really people base who will care for there child on looks? I never thought I would see that in adult world. Anyway, Im glad that Im getting another child, but, not this way.
The mom when she heard that I was opening was so excited because they know me and thought I would be perfect. Ok we met through church, and only a few time.
Dont get me wrong, Im thankful for getting this opportunity and it will help me grow my business. But I guess Im a little shocked as to the reason why they wanted to change.
emosks 08:11 AM 02-15-2010
All of our families are on a referral basis or friends. We don't take in strangers.
gbcc 08:37 AM 02-15-2010
Originally Posted by booroo:
Ok, so i just opened....Im still in the process of getting families and my license, but Im opened now and I have gotten 1 child. Then 2 drop ins. I got a call from a family that takes state aid, I will be signing up for this and getting it before I get my licenses. But This family is changing daycare because they dont like the way their daycare person looks, and dresses. Really people base who will care for there child on looks? I never thought I would see that in adult world. Anyway, Im glad that Im getting another child, but, not this way.
The mom when she heard that I was opening was so excited because they know me and thought I would be perfect. Ok we met through church, and only a few time.
Dont get me wrong, Im thankful for getting this opportunity and it will help me grow my business. But I guess Im a little shocked as to the reason why they wanted to change.
You met them at church but they are changing providers because of the way she looks?? Doesn't sound very Christian. How does the other provider look?
safechner 09:04 AM 02-15-2010
I wouldn't take a new family in my home if they changed their provider due to her look and dress. That was disrespectful! I hope you won't go through if they do that to you.
tymaboy 09:04 AM 02-15-2010
Have you talked to the other provider? Being state aide (& personal experience) She could just be giving you a line. I have found that state aide families are more hassle then they are worth. If you do take the family it could change you relationship & the way people at your church looks at you.

When I 1st started my families came from Resource & Referral. I now have a waiting list which is from word of mouth.
booroo 09:06 AM 02-15-2010
Well, I dont know how to discribe her. She is heavy, and doesnt look well put together. Sometimes she looks like she hasnt taken a bath, hair all messy, stuff like that. Wearing spandex pants. I dont know.

Iam by no means skinny, or good looking. But I just thought this was odd, of them to change because of this. Maybe there is more and they are not telling me. I did talk to the other provider and she said they are a very nice couple, I get the same from the people from church. She says they pay there copayment, the beginnning of the week, they use cash.

So I dont Know!
originalkat 03:08 PM 02-15-2010
I don't blame them from wating to leave based on looks from what you described booroo. If I was paying a provider I would expect that they look decent, have taken a shower, and combed their hair. If the person has not properly cared for herself then it makes me question if she would be properly caring for my child.

In fact, I have recently issued a dress code for myself. I work at home and no one is in charge except for me. Especially in the winter I found myself wearing things that were a tad too cozy. So I bought some short sleeve polo shirts in a few colors and a cardigan over them (white and navy). I wear jeans or Khakis. I always fix my hair and put on a little touch of makeup. I look very professional but still casual and appropriate for working with kids all day. They are also comfortable, wash well, and I feel better about myself and portray a business like image to the parents. The polos are very versitile and I can pair them with capris, skorts etc... throughout the year.
booroo 05:58 AM 02-16-2010
Even though I have always been a sahm, I alway got up took a shower, did my makeup, my hair and put on jeans and a nice top, makes for cleaning easier and better.
Kat I love that you have set a dress code, I think its a good thing to remember that people do still judge on image, per say.

I still havent decided if Im going to take them or not. I have to do some more calling around. I asked for references, for them.

I know the provider they are wanting to leave as 4 babies, and the family felt that was to many babies to care for along with a 2,3, and 5 year old. Plus after school she has 3 kids ages 5,6,7. so I think really she is over her limit. But I dont know.
Tags:clients, spot
Reply Up