Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Again With The Crying...
Heidi 12:53 PM 01-08-2013
Again, I have a baby here who as SOON as she wakes, is screaming at the top of her lungs. She's 6 months old.

I remember my children waking up cooing, babbling, etc. Over the years, a few day care kids would wake up crying, but they were always the exception, and would outgrow it.

I just wonder why? Is my memory of my own kids filtered through rose-colored glasses?

I will say, they woke up to a mobile, and they each had some sort of "lovey", aka a baby-safe stuffed animal. DCK's can't have any of that. It makes me sort of sad for kiddos now, nothing to love/hug when they sleep. I'm not saying they need a huge teddy bear, or that I would break the SIDS prevention regs, but I wonder if there is a connection?
mema 01:01 PM 01-08-2013
I have 2 of these and I think it is because they are immediately taken out of their cribs at home with the slightest noise. One gets held or put in a swing all the time at home to prevent crying and one is given a plug every minute at home. I have been trying to ween from the plug except for nap, but the minute one of the parents step in, boom, they ask where it is and stick it in their mouth

My kids use to talk and babble too. It was nice to lay in bed for a few minutes in the morning and listen to them talk to themselves or the pictures on the wall or whatever it was they were looking at. I never did give mine anything to sleep with until they were out of their cribs. DD is making up for that now tho-she has a tiny space in her bed for herself, the rest is covered in stuffed animals
blandino 01:03 PM 01-08-2013
We have a DCG who did that (she is finally growing out of it). Finally found on that she co-sleeps at home, so she was frightened when she woke up at daycare because she was all alone.

Getting her to sleep was another matter in itself. Think whatever you want about co-sleeping, but for a child who is in daycare and has no other option but to nap on their own - it can be horribly confusing and stressful on them - especially when they have no self-soothing skills.
lovemykidstoo 01:07 PM 01-08-2013
I have been blessed with very few kids that wake up happy. Alot of myparents sleep with their kids or have them sleep on them in a chair etc. Alot also as soon as they make a noise they're on them. They don't let them lay there and check things out.
Heidi 01:15 PM 01-08-2013
so...Im trying to come up with a safe way to display something for her to look at upon waking. This is what the regs say:

4. Children under one year of age may not sleep in a crib or playpen that contains soft materials such as sheepskins, pillows, fluffy blankets, bumper pads or stuffed animals.

She sleeps in a pnp.

Any ideas?
lovemykidstoo 01:25 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
so...Im trying to come up with a safe way to display something for her to look at upon waking. This is what the regs say:

4. Children under one year of age may not sleep in a crib or playpen that contains soft materials such as sheepskins, pillows, fluffy blankets, bumper pads or stuffed animals.

She sleeps in a pnp.

Any ideas?
I know that this is a soft material, but it's not "in" the pnp. What about this? http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...uctId=11838292 It's a portable mobile
MamaBearCanada 01:26 PM 01-08-2013

She sleeps in a pnp.

Any ideas?
What about the Sophie giraffe rubber teething toy?
Willow 01:45 PM 01-08-2013

She sleeps in a pnp.

Any ideas?
I have flirted around with the idea of putting up "faces" posters as both of my pnp's are in corners so I'd have two sides to line.

Currently though I just have a stuffed animal wedged in between the pnp mesh and the book shelves beside them. It started more as a safety precaution....if baby pulls up and crashes down I was worried the mesh would give too far and baby would bonk into the bookshelf....but has ended up being quite the soother. Most of the time both my babies fall asleep facing them, and when I come in to get them when they wake they are often happily babbling to them.

It makes me sad they aren't allowed soothers too
cheerfuldom 01:46 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
We have a DCG who did that (she is finally growing out of it). Finally found on that she co-sleeps at home, so she was frightened when she woke up at daycare because she was all alone.

Getting her to sleep was another matter in itself. Think whatever you want about co-sleeping, but for a child who is in daycare and has no other option but to nap on their own - it can be horribly confusing and stressful on them - especially when they have no self-soothing skills.
totally agree!

the screamers for me have always been the kids that cosleep at home or whose parents rush in at every squeak. I have two families that wake whenever kid wakes for the day. if kid is up at 2AM, they just get up and pull out the toys and start entertaining!
MamaBearCanada 01:47 PM 01-08-2013

She sleeps in a pnp.

Any ideas?
MamaBearCanada 01:49 PM 01-08-2013
Sorry I didn't mean to post the same thing twice - not sure how that happened!
bunnyslippers 02:15 PM 01-08-2013
I have one of those, too. It is sooooo awful. She also cries if you aren't holding her. For most of the day. I have basically just learned to tune out the crying. After a few minutes, she will go back to sleep.

Her parents carry her constantly. If she wakes, they get up. No matter what time of day. And play with her. Insanity!!!!!! And these are the first parents to give me unsolicited parenting advice. They think they - and their children - are just so perfectly perfect! GAG!
LK5kids 02:54 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
Babies love Sophie! Yes, the idea of pictures of kids, faces, etc. might be helpful. Can board books be with them?
Hazel 03:55 PM 01-08-2013
I just had one like that. Parents would complain when he started that he sleeps for 20 mins at a time.... I noticed it happened here too, but over about 3 weeks he slept longer and longer (still screamed upon waking but I just lived with it.)
Well parents notice on his daily log that he would sleep for 30 mins, then 45 mins and finally 2 full hours twice a day!!!!
They didn't get it and since they are young first time parents I talked to them about their routines and habits, asking if they let him TRY to self soothe at all and they really didn't understand what I meant. I went over it with them, not picking him up every time he makes a noise, letting him cry for a minute or so if he hasn't been sleeping long... Dad said they need to do that.
After 2 months mom looks at the daily log and can't believe he sleeps so well for me... I asked her again, so you pick him up as soon as he cries? She says
"oh no! I let him cry a bit". I asked how long and she said 10 SECONDS!
No wonder they can't get a good nights sleep! Lol
Heidi 03:58 PM 01-08-2013
Thanks ladies for your ideas. I emailed my licenser with the Sophie Giraffe and the mobile idea. I'll share her answer once I get it. She was a childcare provider herself for years, so she is typically understanding, but also very "by the book". I thought it was best just to ask upfront rather than risk a citation for something that I missed in the regs. There are, I believe, 764 of them in WI.

I will come up with something. I honestly feel that these babies are being denied the very important opportunity to self-soothe. It's nice to hear that other loving, caring providers also get that.
blandino 04:00 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by Hazel:
I just had one like that. Parents would complain when he started that he sleeps for 20 mins at a time.... I noticed it happened here too, but over about 3 weeks he slept longer and longer (still screamed upon waking but I just lived with it.)
Well parents notice on his daily log that he would sleep for 30 mins, then 45 mins and finally 2 full hours twice a day!!!!
They didn't get it and since they are young first time parents I talked to them about their routines and habits, asking if they let him TRY to self soothe at all and they really didn't understand what I meant. I went over it with them, not picking him up every time he makes a noise, letting him cry for a minute or so if he hasn't been sleeping long... Dad said they need to do that.
After 2 months mom looks at the daily log and can't believe he sleeps so well for me... I asked her again, so you pick him up as soon as he cries? She says
"oh no! I let him cry a bit". I asked how long and she said 10 SECONDS!
No wonder they can't get a good nights sleep! Lol
I had the same thing happen. A parent said "we let her cry, sometimes for 3-4 minutes.". And they really thought they were letting her cry it out.
lovemykidstoo 04:06 PM 01-08-2013
Thanks ladies for your ideas. I emailed my licenser with the Sophie Giraffe and the mobile idea. I'll share her answer once I get it. She was a childcare provider herself for years, so she is typically understanding, but also very "by the book". I thought it was best just to ask upfront rather than risk a citation for something that I missed in the regs. There are, I believe, 764 of them in WI.

I will come up with something. I honestly feel that these babies are being denied the very important opportunity to self-soothe. It's nice to hear that other loving, caring providers also get that.
You're right, it's best to be up front with your licenser. Can't wait to hear what she has to say. I'm up for licensing inspection for my renewal this year, I'll have to ask mine to see if it differs per state.
Tags:crying after nap, screaming
Reply Up