Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Find An Assistant?
Auntie'sHouse 07:17 AM 01-25-2013
Can anyone tell me what is the safest easiest and quickest way to hire an assistant??? ive obligated myself to do drop off n pick ups for school but now im getting more kids and they cant fit in my car....i am finding it difficult to trust anyone even family and friends because no one cares for kids the way i can (in my opinion). i was thinking of calling the local high school to see if there was a responsible student who is interested in child development....
melilley 07:21 AM 01-25-2013
Do you have any colleges around you? You could call them and ask to post something. A lot of times college students are looking for work and often times they take night classes so they need a day time job. Plus a lot of colleges offer chdv classes and the students are looking for similar jobs.
Auntie'sHouse 07:58 AM 01-25-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Do you have any colleges around you? You could call them and ask to post something. A lot of times college students are looking for work and often times they take night classes so they need a day time job. Plus a lot of colleges offer chdv classes and the students are looking for similar jobs.
great idea thanks...i love this forum....so helpful....its like having an easy button
melilley 08:12 AM 01-25-2013
Originally Posted by Auntie'sHouse:
great idea thanks...i love this forum....so helpful....its like having an easy button
I agree! I have had so much help from all the awesome people on here!
DaisyMamma 11:45 AM 01-25-2013
Craigslist is good too. Care.com.
I have a neighborhood teen who comes a few afternoons to help. The young teens are the best because they really enjoy playing still. The kids LOVE it.
MNMum 04:55 PM 01-25-2013
I tried posting for an assistant on Sittercity and had zero responses. This time, I looked through the sitter city listings and found someone I thought might be interested. Contacted her and she is currently in training. I was looking for a stay-at-home mom type with one child over 2 that had plenty of nanny experience. Found an exact match! I don't run full, so her bringing her child along for free is one of her perks. Also, I agreed to watch her child one afternoon per week free, so she can get some alone time. I can't pay what she was making as a nanny, but I am able to offer her a paid playdate for her child!
rebekki78 07:23 AM 02-20-2014
I am having this same difficulty. I hired someone from church who is great with children but her schedule isn't very open. I am nervous about putting an add on Craigslist because there are some crazy people up in there. I don't have many friends and my family all need to work, so that leaves me with working on finding a stranger to come in and help me. It wouldn't be so bad if I were here but my children have a lot of doctor appointments. I guess intuition and conscience and gut feeling go a long way, hey?
jessrlee 09:51 AM 02-20-2014
People mail me resumes all of the time?

Maybe just mention to friends and family that you are hiring so they can tell their friends.
llpa 10:08 AM 02-20-2014
I have had a few calls this year from people who work as aides, etc in the local school district. They were looking to supplement their hours. I bet they would pass out a flyer or post something for you. And as mentioned, local colleges and child development students or recent grads.
CraftyMom 10:09 AM 02-20-2014
I might post at the college near me as well. They still need to be CPR/First AID trained in my state so I'm sure I'd have to pay for that.

It's hard because like another poster said you have to trust them.

Ideally someone who is already a certified assistant would work best if they already had experience.

I got some REALLY CRAZY calls from craigslist when I placed an ad for an assistant. There was one call I that after I hung up I
Heidi 10:10 AM 02-20-2014
I posted on Facebook last time, and as it turns out a classmate of my daughter's (who is 18 and a senior) was interested. She is going into Early Childhood at the tech school next fall, and she's pretty awesome. I will be sad to lose her when she moves.

What I did was start her out working with me a few times, then I transitioned to being here, but in another part of the house. I could hear what was going on, but the kiddos didn't know I was around. After a few days of that (in 2 hour increments), I felt comfortable leaving for short periods. Now I would leave her the whole day if I had to.
daycare 10:14 AM 02-20-2014
I have 3of them and they all came to me word of mouth from friends of friends. It is really hard to just throw up and ad. YOu are inviting this person into EVERY aspect of your life. Just about nothing is private anymore when you work at home.

My asst are TERRIFFFFRFIIIC. they know that they will hear about my family life, they will see or hear some of my family issues. As much as I try to leave my personal life out of DC, IT is next to impossible to do it 100% of the time when you live where you work.

Also the trust factor that the person you have is not going to rip you off in anyway.

2 of my asst have keys to my house. They also take care of my house when I am out of town. I am VERY close to my employees, they are like family to me and I treat them that way to a point.

I personally don't think that I could just throw an ad out there and advertise for help. But that is just me.
Tags:assistant, assistant - finding one
Reply Up