Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:24 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Any Providers in the TWIN CITIES Areas?

My husband and I are wanting to relocate to the Twin Cities area in the near future. I grew up there and I really miss being close to my family. Also, I feel like my child care business would be much more successful over there. Right now we live in a smaller area in southern Wisconsin and it is SO hard to find families over here.

So I was just wondering (if you're a provider in the Twin Cities), is your daycare full? And how long do you usually have vacancies for?
Old 10-11-2013, 06:33 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Provided your prices, policies and amenities are comparable you'd have no problem getting and staying full
Old 10-11-2013, 06:34 AM

We have several members from that area.

Preschool Teacher is one I can think of right off hand.

I know there are a few more here.

I'm in MN but about 4 hours north so I cant give you any input as to what the child care scene is like there.

I am sure someone will chime in and have some input for you.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Daycare.com Member

I'm in the Twin Cities!

I have had a very easy time finding families. I began telling people I was opening a daycare back in the spring. Through word of mouth, I lined up families for all of my vacancies and had full enrollment two months before I was even licensed. I JUST got licensed last week, so now all of these families will be starting here next week. I was lucky to find people who, for various reasons, were able to wait for me to get my license. (Maternity leave, already in daycare but wanting to find a new place, currently had a nanny but were looking for a change).

I have 8 families on my waiting list right now. I think part of the reason I have had an easy time finding people is because I offer an educational curriculum and part-time care for prices that are not any higher than people who don't offer those things (according to my licensor, my prices are actually a little on the low side for what I'm doing). Not a single one of my daycare kids will be here more than 3 days a week. I think there is a need for PT care in my area but it's very hard to find. BTW---I plan to raise my rates in Jan.

The hardest part was WAITING for the county to get going. It was 7 months after the time I sent in my completed application before my inspection was scheduled. I just was waiting during that whole time. Once I got the inspection, I was licensed about a week later. So if you are planning to move, I'd start the licensing process AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!

Send me a private message if you would like to talk more!
Old 10-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Daycare.com Member

We just drove through the south side of Minneapolis to go the the Reniesance Fair in Shakopee and I commented to my hsband how many child care centers I was seeing. Tons! I immediately thought there has to be lots of demand for family child care too!

Where in southern Wi are you? I am also in so. Wi.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Ruby Bee's Child Care

I am in Twin Cities and have no problem staying full. As preschoolteacher said, start the licensing process ASAP upon moving. Its unbelievable how long it takes. Even my relicensing is now 2 months late by no fault of mine.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:17 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I am in an eastern suburb of St. Paul and I virtually never have openings. I have been in business since 1989 and once I was full, I've never had an open spot longer than a week or two (unless I wanted that way, of course!)

What part of the Cities are you planning on moving to?
Old 10-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Daycare.com Member

I live in the Twin Cities (northwest) area and I have not had a problem getting families but I wanted a smaller group. I would also recommend getting started on your licensing right when you get here. When I lived in Sherburne county it only took me two months to get licensed but in Hennepin county it takes much longer. Not sure about Dakotas county ....

Tags
minnesota member, twin cities