Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Refund?
CityGarden 01:35 PM 07-10-2018
Last year I took 3 weeks paid vacation in Summer since I do not charge more for months with 5 weeks instead of 4 (this is in the contract)..... this year I am only taking 2 weeks. The first week I took at the start of summer and the second which will be next week. I decided to close next week at the last minute giving only one week notice which I agree is very short notice.

I decided to close next week because all families except for one who is leaving my program at the end of July will be on vacation and it does not make sense to stay open for one child. The SAHM of the one child who will still be in town responded to my email notice saying:

"Thanks for letting me know. This is a bit of an inconvience for me but I understand. My mom leaves tomorrow and DH is away all next week. Having just moved house I had arranged a few jobs to start next week so will need an alternative arrangement for dcg. Do you have Daycare Assistant's number? Also will I be refunded for next week to cover the additional last minute care needed as this is pretty short notice."

Reply
Blackcat31 01:55 PM 07-10-2018
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
Last year I took 3 weeks paid vacation in Summer since I do not charge more for months with 5 weeks instead of 4 (this is in the contract)..... this year I am only taking 2 weeks. The first week I took at the start of summer and the second which will be next week. I decided to close next week at the last minute giving only one week notice which I agree is very short notice.

I decided to close next week because all families except for one who is leaving my program at the end of July will be on vacation and it does not make sense to stay open for one child. The SAHM of the one child who will still be in town responded to my email notice saying:

"Thanks for letting me know. This is a bit of an inconvience for me but I understand. My mom leaves tomorrow and DH is away all next week. Having just moved house I had arranged a few jobs to start next week so will need an alternative arrangement for dcg. Do you have Daycare Assistant's number? Also will I be refunded for next week to cover the additional last minute care needed as this is pretty short notice."
  • WWYD? WWYS? (What would you say?)
  • Would you refund the week due to the short notice?
  • If I do refund the week I do not want to offer my assistant as her back up childcare.... how would I word that?
  • I am working two additional days in July in the 5th week (not paid) if I refund would I refund dcg for the whole week that I am closed next week or for the week less the two days I am working unpaid already in the 5th week?
WWYD? WWYS? (What would you say?)
I would close and would say "I understand this may be an inconvenience however, per program policies there are 3 weeks built into the yearly calendar. Refunds are not provided unless care is ending and your account had an overage."

Would you refund the week due to the short notice? No. Does your contract state you will refund fees paid if you don't provide X number of days notice in advance?

If I do refund the week I do not want to offer my assistant as her back up childcare.... how would I word that? Back up care is the parent's responsibility. My assistant is not permitted to provide services to currently enrolled families per the employee/employer contract.

I am working two additional days in July in the 5th week (not paid) if I refund would I refund dcg for the whole week that I am closed next week or for the week less the two days I am working unpaid already in the 5th week?

I wouldn't refund anything. She is a SAHM. It usually makes me a bit suspicious when they (SAHM's) suddenly have a ton of appointments or prior commitments (of course scheduled months ago....) when they are notified of daycare closing.
Reply
hwichlaz 04:44 PM 07-10-2018
I would at least partially, only because my contract says Iíll give 4 weeks notice of time off, other than for illness.
Reply
rosieteddy 06:23 PM 07-10-2018
I am with Blackcat.No refund no assistant ect.
Reply
Unregistered 08:29 PM 07-10-2018
Can I ask why you don't want to offer your assistant? Honestly, I would offer the assistant and not offer a refund. Mom can pay and you dole out a share to the assistant.
Reply
CityGarden 09:04 PM 07-10-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Can I ask why you don't want to offer your assistant? Honestly, I would offer the assistant and not offer a refund. Mom can pay and you dole out a share to the assistant.
Cliff Notes Version: I have learned from this forum that my assistant should not be their backup care.

Example: Assistant babysat for a dcb's family date nights, etc. several weeks later Assistant calls out missing work (I am still in ratio without her but it was a huge adjustment for the day) came to find out she was begged by DCM to watch sick dcb...... which impacted me by the assistant missing work and I was highly annoyed.

This DCM is leaving my program all together at the end of the month with no secured plan for where she will send dcg in Fall (she is pulling her because she does not want to pay tuition while they vacation for 5 weeks)...... I do not want to risk my assistant being her back up care whens they return from vacation.
Reply
CityGarden 09:05 PM 07-10-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I would at least partially, only because my contract says Iíll give 4 weeks notice of time off, other than for illness.
Just sent you a PM!!!
Reply
CityGarden 09:06 PM 07-10-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
WWYD? WWYS? (What would you say?)
I would close and would say "I understand this may be an inconvenience however, per program policies there are 3 weeks built into the yearly calendar. Refunds are not provided unless care is ending and your account had an overage."

Would you refund the week due to the short notice? No. Does your contract state you will refund fees paid if you don't provide X number of days notice in advance?

If I do refund the week I do not want to offer my assistant as her back up childcare.... how would I word that? Back up care is the parent's responsibility. My assistant is not permitted to provide services to currently enrolled families per the employee/employer contract.

I am working two additional days in July in the 5th week (not paid) if I refund would I refund dcg for the whole week that I am closed next week or for the week less the two days I am working unpaid already in the 5th week?

I wouldn't refund anything. She is a SAHM. It usually makes me a bit suspicious when they (SAHM's) suddenly have a ton of appointments or prior commitments (of course scheduled months ago....) when they are notified of daycare closing.
Thanks so much for the quick reply it really helps to hear insights from others. I will certainly be using some of your wording.
Reply
CityGarden 09:10 PM 07-10-2018
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I am with Blackcat.No refund no assistant ect.
I want to 100% feel that way too but I also do know it is very short notice.....even for a SAHM
Reply
Leigh 08:33 AM 07-11-2018
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
Cliff Notes Version: I have learned from this forum that my assistant should not be their backup care.

Example: Assistant babysat for a dcb's family date nights, etc. several weeks later Assistant calls out missing work (I am still in ratio without her but it was a huge adjustment for the day) came to find out she was begged by DCM to watch sick dcb...... which impacted me by the assistant missing work and I was highly annoyed.

This DCM is leaving my program all together at the end of the month with no secured plan for where she will send dcg in Fall (she is pulling her because she does not want to pay tuition while they vacation for 5 weeks)...... I do not want to risk my assistant being her back up care whens they return from vacation.
I would have fired the assistant and the client!
Reply
Cat Herder 08:38 AM 07-11-2018
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I would have fired the assistant and the client!
Same.
Reply
Ariana 09:15 AM 07-11-2018
My contract states that I will TRY to give at least 6 weeks notice for time off but that due to extenuating circumstances this is not always possible and it is the parents responsibility to provide back up care.

None of this is your problem and if she is a SAHM I am doubly dumbfounded since isnít this her job?
Reply
Jupadia 09:22 AM 07-11-2018
I would, but only cause my contract states I'll give patents one months notice of any vacations. Sick days I can take at as needed but at this time do refund or rather deduct it from fees for upcoming week.

It would entirely be based on what your contract states as to the notice to parents of vaction or time off.
Reply
CityGarden 10:57 AM 07-11-2018
Update:
I ended up using BC's wording above but also said I would make a one-time exception given the short notice and offer her a partial refund for next week.... I also said my assistant was not available (which is true) and gave her the contact info for the high school sitter I personally use with my dd and the number of a local agency that offer babysitting services.

Basically I am going to refund two days of the four days her daughter is scheduled to attend next week splitting the cost as a positive gesture and parting gift. This is my favorite dck and DCM so I will miss them both come Fall. Other than payment remaining due during my vacations (each summer) DCM has been 100% the easiest DCP day to day and is always the first to pay tuition without reminders! *This is why I am willing to "work" with her this one time, no need to have her leave with a bad sentiment after such a wonderful time together. *

Also I plan to change the wording about my vacations in my contract, I knew it was an area I planned to tighten in the contract but now I have yet another reason than just my own peace of mind.
Reply
CityGarden 01:40 PM 07-11-2018
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I would have fired the assistant and the client!
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Same.
It was terrible, Assistant ended up sick with the same symptoms dcb had and was out for a week.

It has never been the same between the Assistant & I. That was the final straw (she was often late, or would tell me last minute when she needed time off, etc.) we mutually agreed it would be better for her to look for a position at a local children's museum or child care center come the Fall. I have not actively been looking to replace her as summer enrollment is low & my program is in transition for Fall. It is nice to have her for now for a familiar face for these kids but come Fall I want someone more responsible.
Reply
Tags:assistants, refund - won't, refunds, vacation policy
Reply Up