Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Days Closed: Holiday, Vaca, etc.
PitterPatter 01:28 PM 09-02-2011
I didn't want to threadjack the closing for illness thread but it got me to thinking. Since most people work thru illness and family illness when do you take off for yourself and family?

I took Labor day off and although I am technically required to be the 1 to set up alternate care I am leaving that up to the families this time like most people do. I don't think it's fair that I can never take a holiday off unless I provide alternate care for everyone (state requirment) so I am running a risk but I figure if my clients feel that strongly that they need to report me then I don't want them in my care anyway. My clients were not happy when I reminded them today that I am closed on Monday. I give notice at enrollment, in the monthly newsletters, 2 weeks before, and a couple days before. Plenty of time to make other arrangments. They still get upset that I actually close for some holidays. I do a lot for my families and feel they can deal with a day off here and there given weeks, months to a years advance notice.

What holidays do you take off?

Do you take a vacation every year? If so how long and when?

How many of you work Saturdays or Sundays?

Do your clients give you attitude over days off?
Blackcat31 01:46 PM 09-02-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I didn't want to threadjack the closing for illness thread but it got me to thinking. Since most people work thru illness and family illness when do you take off for yourself and family?

I have every weekend and evening for them.

I take off Thanksgiving and following Friday. Christmas and Christmas Eve. New Years Day. Labor and Memorial Day.

I close for the week that the fourth of July falls in.

How many of you work Saturdays or Sundays? nope

NEVER. I have taken one sick day in almost 2 decades and ONLY because my dcp's made me!

I am sick right now. I have been since Sunday but I have been here every day on time, with a tissue in my pocket and smiling as usual. I will nurse myself back to good health when I get off at 5:00 and over the long weekend.
I answered in red.
PitterPatter 01:56 PM 09-02-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I answered in red.
I hope you get well soon cat!! Summer sickness is the worst!!
Blackcat31 02:09 PM 09-02-2011
I hope you get well soon cat!! Summer sickness is the worst!!
Thanks Pitter! I'm tough though so I will live. But thank you again for the good wishes.
pfund2233 02:40 PM 09-02-2011

I'm closed only Thanksgiving and Christmas but all my parents get holidays off and don't bring their kids. But I don't get paid holidays.

Yes, 7 days with 5 personal days for apt or whatever. No paid vacations either.

NO WAY!!!

Nope... NEVER. I have awesome families!!! LOVE EM!!!
mismatchedsocks 04:19 PM 09-02-2011

New Years Day, Memorial day, 4th of july, labor day, thanksgiving, day after thanksgiving, christmas eve and day. I only take off if it falls on a weekday. I do not take friday off if it falls on saturday. I do get paid holidays.

Yes, for a week, at my kids spring break.

No way jose!

The only days off I take are holidays and my one week vacation. So they dont. I dare them to ever, that would be end of our contract!
JenNJ 04:48 PM 09-02-2011
I take the following PAID days off -- New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and the day after, I close early Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and the day after Christmas.

I have been doing this for 3+ years and I started taking days this year. Just Friday here and there so we can go camping for along weekend. I also have a long weekend planned for October.

Not me!

Never. I seriously have the most understanding and normal clients. But I don't make it a habit of closing often.
AnneCordelia 04:24 AM 09-03-2011
I take off all statutory holidays, with pay, which includes New Years Day, Family Day, Good Friday, Victoria Day, Canada Day, Civic Holiday, Labour Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

I also take off the remaining days between Christmas and New Years day as unpaid vacation days. I also take a week of unpaid vacation sometime during the year and give months of notice. This year was a week at the cottage in the summer. Next year will be a week at Disney in October.

I have 5 paid 'sick/personal' days to use for my own illness or appointments. So far this year I have not used any.

My families are all really understanding of time off thus far. It's pretty standard around here though.
Cat Herder 07:57 AM 09-03-2011
I am technically required to be the 1 to set up alternate care I am leaving that up to the families this time like most people do. I don't think it's fair that I can never take a holiday off unless I provide alternate care for everyone (state requirement)

Wow!! That is a horrible reg. I thought mine were intrusive.

My clients were not happy when I reminded them today that I am closed on Monday. I give notice at enrollment, in the monthly newsletters, 2 weeks before, and a couple days before. Plenty of time to make other arrangements. They still get upset that I actually close for some holidays. I do a lot for my families and feel they can deal with a day off here and there given weeks, months to a years advance notice.

I am sorry they did that. I think it should have been expected. Almost every other business is closed.

This year I am open for Labor Day as a gift, my choice, because my families have been helping me collect more manipulative's, books, etc. to meet my new regs without my asking. This newest group has been my best, EVER. .

Typically I take them all since every one of my clients work in careers that also give them the day off. You can get their business calendars online and plan with those a bit in advance to keep them off your back. It is pretty difficult to argue with " *** Mill is closed labor day. Has your work information changed??" .

I close a week at Christmas and a week in the spring.

I have occasionally, but it is expensive unless Mom/Dad is in the Hospital or something equally out of the ordinary. I do give one free Saturday a year before Christmas so my families can do the Santa thing as a couple. I don't like doing it without DH, it is something I look forward to and save for all year, so I assume everyone feels the same.

Not usually, but I often have parents at the door on my closed days even with a yearly calendar given in January, FB posts, Daily Sheets reminders and a bulletin posted on the front door. It is the nature of the beast.
I answered in blue.
nannyde 09:23 AM 09-03-2011
The Day Care is closed the following PAID Holidays:

New Years

Memorial Day

4th of July

Labor Day

Thanksgiving and day after Thanksgiving

Christmas Eve

Christmas

Vacation Days:

5 paid days off in June (to be announced yearly)

5 paid days off in December during Christmas Break (to be announced yearly)
pinkbunny85 09:52 AM 09-03-2011
may i ask why it's up to you OP to provide alternate care?
PitterPatter 02:18 PM 09-03-2011
Originally Posted by pinkbunny85:
may i ask why it's up to you OP to provide alternate care?
That's what MY state requires if you are contracted to accpet subsidized clients. I had it out with them a while back over taking holidays off and a DCM was mad. The director of the subsidized program informed me that I am required to supply back up care if it is a day that I would normally be open. If I want to close for a holiday I have to provide care so that the parents don't have to worry about finding alternate care or calling off work. Director told me that was the policy when I signed up (I was never informed of that) and if at any time I choose to leave the subsidised program that is fine but as long as I accept those clients I must abide by the policy. Private pay I can do with as I wish but State assisted families are here for help so I must abide by the policy. I can choose what days I am open. Like some providers are open on Saturdays & Sundays. I use to run 6 days a week then I took my Saturdays back when I started pulling 50-60 hour days. Now I am back to opening on some Saturdays but as a favor here and there otherwise if I changed my hours of business I would be REQUIRED to be open every Saturday. I'm waiting on them to catch that glitch and call me telling me I have to work all if I work 1. If/when they do it's bye bye weekend care for 1 DCM.

In my contract it states that I am closed for:
New Years Day
Memorial Day
4th of July
Labor Day
Thanksgiving and day after Thanksgiving
Christmas Eve
Christmas

I also state that I may take 1 or 2 weeks through the year for a vacation and at least 1 months advance notice will be given. I haven't taken any vacation at all for a few years now. I can't find anyone to take over for more than a few hours so I have also missed a few holidays off as well. I just recently got fed up with bending over backwards for a subsidized family that doesn't show me any respect so I basically TOOK that day without providing back up and told them to have a coke and a smile and deal with it! (Not in those exact words but that's how I felt) If I should get a call from CCRR offices (who I answer to) I will fight it but I can't change the policy and none of the other providers will rock that boat with me. Come Thanksgiving and Christmas I will be taking a holiday off again.

What sucks is even when I do take a holiday or vacation or sick (rare) I am not paid for any of them. I am only paid for the hours that the children are actually in care. I tried to charge a private paying client for Christmas off and she literally laughed in my face and said she wasn't paying me a dime for taking a day off. So I have come to accept that part but I feel every provider should get to choose some holidays off without stressing to "help the needy parents" Don't get me started on that topic!
Crazy8 02:26 PM 09-03-2011
I can't imagine YOU having to provide alternate care on a FEDERAL holiday - that is insane!!!! And for parents to "laugh in your face" at taking a paid holiday, oh they wouldn't be a client for very long. They are the same ones who would flip if they didn't get holiday pay from their jobs!!!

I take 9 days as PAID holidays... New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and the day after, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I also close at 3pm on Halloween.

I also take one week PAID vacation every year, any additional vacation time I would take as unpaid. I generally just the one week but sometimes I need a few extra days so I have that in my contract to cover me.
I do not take any paid personal days, any additional days I am closed would be unpaid.
Tags:close for holiday, holidays
Reply Up