Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Getting Kids To Like Veggies
littlemommy 08:54 AM 01-04-2012
Yesterday I made from scratch tuna "helper" with broccoli and potatoes on the side. Everyone loved the tuna noodles, but wouldn't touch the broccoli. The 3 year old said her mom makes broccoli at home, and she finally ate all of it, with a struggle. My 2 year old didn't want it at all. I told him to be a dinosaur and eat the little tree. Nope. I tried pureeing it and adding it to the pasta since he wanted more of that. Nope.

Not even cheese did the trick! Usually my son loves veggies, but if there are noodles around, that's all he wants. Do you have any tricks or do you hide veggies in other foods? This seems to be a constant problem. The DC kids are so used to fast food and processed stuff they won't even try what I make.
littlemissmuffet 09:06 AM 01-04-2012
I'm so lucky most of my kiddos love veggies!!

I once read a long time ago that putting a little honey on veggies works. I make a lot of stir fries with fresh veggies, chicken/beef or tofu served over rice. I use a honey ginger sauce and find that even my kids who aren't into veggies will eat them in this stir fry... so the honey thing could deinfitely be true!

Just don't serve honey to kiddos under 12 months.
Meyou 09:08 AM 01-04-2012
The only thing I can suggest is to do very small portions of carbs and protein and large portions of veggies and then let hunger do the rest.
littlemommy 09:08 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I'm so lucky most of my kiddos love veggies!!

I once read a long time ago that putting a little honey on veggies works. I make a lot of stir fries with fresh veggies, chicken/beef or tofu served over rice. I use a honey ginger sauce and find that even my kids who aren't into veggies will eat them in this stir fry... so the honey thing could deinfitely be true!

Just don't serve honey to kiddos under 12 months.
That sounds REALLY tasty right now! The problem is most of the kids just look at the vegetables and won't even try them. Just the sight of them scares them!

Does anyone else have kids that hate potatoes? I've found that so many times potatoes are not touched unless they are tater tots or fries.
Blackcat31 09:09 AM 01-04-2012
For me personally, I just keep serving them up. If they eat them, great! If not, then no seconds on anything else. I also make the veggies the largest protion on their plate. Sometimes I start with veggies only and sloooooooowly add the rest of the meal but delay my movements so that they dig right into the veggies because they are hungry.

I NEVER make a big deal when someone does or doesn't eat. (Don't want anyone thinking food=rewards).

I just do what I do and eventually everyone eats their veggies.....peer pressure at this age can be a good thing. I have had many children come who eat not one single veggie and within a few weeks are eating them all.
Ariana 09:10 AM 01-04-2012
I have gotten much more luck with raw veggies served BEFORE lunch as an appetizer. There's nothing else there for them and they're hungry. Put it out about 10 minutes before lunch starts. My anti-veggie daughter will happily eat raw carrots, raw cucumber, tomatoes etc. The only cooked veggies my daughter will eat is broccoli, everything else has to be raw!
littlemissmuffet 09:17 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
Does anyone else have kids that hate potatoes? I've found that so many times potatoes are not touched unless they are tater tots or fries.
Oh yes, my 5yo dcb who is my pickiest eater will not eat a potato in any form unless it's a french fry or a potato chip. I've asked his mom and she said he's never even TRIED with them either. This is the same kid who had never eaten a veggie other than carrots or corn before meeting me though... and now he'll eat brussle sprouts cooked with bacon, asparagus with a home-made low-fat cheese sauce, etc. With him it was just lots of patience and consistancy. Like some others above mentioned, just keep serving them, don't create food issues, don't serve seconds of anything until the veg is at least tried, etc. And good luck!
SilverSabre25 09:22 AM 01-04-2012
I serve veggies to everyone, give no seconds until the veggies are gone too ("If you're not hungry enough to eat [veggie], you're not hungry enough for seconds.") and make a big deal of eating the yummy, yummy veggies myself and how gooooooood they are!

For the most part though, it seems to be a repetition thing...after over a year here, my pickiest dcb (who may have some oral aversion issues) will scarf cucumber and celery and carrots!
Cat Herder 10:18 AM 01-04-2012
Adding veggie purees INTO starches helps. (I'd have blended the steamed broccoli/peas/carrots and mixed it into the tuna casserole)

I serve veggies, first....then S--L---O---W---L---Y make my way back around with the proteins, THEN starches (unless it is a complete casserole). Water with food, milk last as I take up plates.

Works like a charm.
sharlan 10:26 AM 01-04-2012
I have 2 that won't touch a veggie with a ten foot pole, not even french fries. I keep offering, they keep refusing.

I have managed to sneak pureed squash into mac & cheese. The 4 yo will eat "special ingredient green soup" - cream of broccoli with a dash of Tabasco.

I even tried buying the veggie pasta and they wouldn't touch it.
daycare 11:07 AM 01-04-2012
cheese to cover them

ranch or yogurt to dip

I start them out this way if they wont eat them and then scale back on the extras.

I also find that if I mix them into something 99%of the time they won't eat them.
Crystal 11:28 AM 01-04-2012
My group started REALLY eating the veggies after they started growing them themselves. I suggest planting a garden, allowing the kids to take a big part in it and letting them start by eating them fresh off of the plants
PitterPatter 11:28 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
cheese to cover them

ranch or yogurt to dip

I start them out this way if they wont eat them and then scale back on the extras.

I also find that if I mix them into something 99%of the time they won't eat them.

My thoughts exactly!!

I also make things with them for example the ants on a log, faces with broc being greem hair etc. After that effort if the don't eat it I give up but no 2nds on meat and pasta until the plate is clean.

DCB refused to eat green beans today and kept demanding more chicken. I told him if he ate 1/2 his beans he could have more chicken. He said no his belly is full. When the kids went to scrape their plates he stole left over chicken from another childs plate. Kinda makes me feel bad but everyone else ate the beans so they were good.

Good luck!
melskids 03:39 AM 01-05-2012
I agree with crystal. I've had kids who NEVER touch anything on their plate, but will eat right out of the garden!

If you fancy things up a bit too, sometimes that helps. Get some little single serve containers, fry boxes (i personally suggest NOT using McD ones...I wouldnt want them associating my food with McD's) , dipping cups, that sort of thing.

My mother used to put rainbow sprinkles on everything too. I would laugh, but my little sister would eat anything if it had sprinkles on it.
lilcupcakes09 03:56 AM 01-05-2012
4 of my 7 kids don't eat veggies and/or fruits......the parents don't make them eat at home so why should I bother here??? I stopped the food program because it was just to much hassle here, so I just fix enough for those that will eat them and carry on....If their parents don't care that much at home to make them eat veggies/fruits, Im not going to cause a scene at my house...
melskids 04:06 AM 01-05-2012
Originally Posted by lilcupcakes09:
4 of my 7 kids don't eat veggies and/or fruits......the parents don't make them eat at home so why should I bother here??? I stopped the food program because it was just to much hassle here, so I just fix enough for those that will eat them and carry on....If their parents don't care that much at home to make them eat veggies/fruits, Im not going to cause a scene at my house...
My kiddos eat 4 out of 5 meals a day with me. I feel its an important part of my job to expose them to healthy eating. most times, they've had their daily requirement of fruits and veggies before they even get home, so I'm not concerned with what mom and dad do. I can't change them anyway.
so i make sure i'm doing what i feel is right.

I understand your frustration though.

I also serve family style. I think this helps a lot. The kiddos are free to make their own choices, it gives them a little say in what they want to eat, and it cuts down on waste. If they put it on their plate, then great, if not, i dont make a big deal about it. Usually they see the other kiddos scooping it up, and they will take it as well.
blueclouds29 05:45 PM 01-16-2012
Originally Posted by lilcupcakes09:
EXACTLY!! I was so mad wasting food specially veggies!! Now i just put very little on thier plate. They eat great if not, i'm not making a big deal. I tell the parents, but they don't care.... why should i stress out about it!!
Tags:nutrition
Reply Up