Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing for Summer?
Unregistered 10:30 AM 03-01-2015
When I first opened my day care I had grand plans to only run from mid-August to early June, following our school schedule here. However, since my license wasn't finalized until October, I missed the crowd that needed child care following that schedule (I'm in a university town, so students, professors, and school district employees, mostly). I ended up enrolling families who need care year round, because that was what I was getting calls for. I can't close this coming summer because I both need the money and I don't want to leave my families without care. But eventually, probably summer of 2016, I will want to close for the summer. There are other programs in town that do this and they are successful. What should I do at this time? Only accept new families that need that schedule? Do I enroll year round families knowing I will eventually close for the summers? Has anyone ever closed for a longer period of time and had the families come back after your break?
hope 10:50 AM 03-01-2015
I would advertise as a summer off program going forward. I advertise as a daycare for teachers children and I highlight the perks of coming to me verses the year round places. Examplepen early at 7 am at no extra cost for teacher's schedule.
You can always take part timers or drop ins. That would keep money coming in. I find most part timers have back up care so it is easy to part ways or even take a break for the summer.
Crystal 10:50 AM 03-01-2015
I'd start advertising now for families to enroll on that schedule, if you have space now, they can enroll and then you can expect to not have those families there this summer, and only have your current clients there this summer. I'd also look to enroll families that can start in August, taking a non-refundable deposit. If you enroll enough families to fill all of your spaces, including those of your current year round families, you can give notice to the current clients that beginning in august you will no longer be offering year round care, giving them ample to notice to find alternate care.
momofsix 06:24 PM 03-01-2015
Since most of my families are teacher families, I decided to take summers off beginning this year. My full year families will be hiring someone else for summer care. (One of my families was fast and hired my youngest dd as their summer nanny-the other families asked also but were too slow!)
When I had new families come in I let them know right away that I wasn't going to provide care in the summer. They were fine with it as it gave them plenty of time to figure something out.
I will evaluate after this summer and decide if I want to continue closing for summers or possibly just a part time schedule.
Baby lady 12:15 PM 03-02-2015
Closing for the summer sounds like the impossible dream to me! I would love to have an extended time off. Can't afford it, don't know how I'd keep clients

maybe someday
Crazy8 12:41 PM 03-02-2015
I would start advertising as a school year program now. I am considering doing that when I need to replace a few kids this coming September. But right now I run Mon-Thurs only and I can't decide if I want the trade off of summers off or my 4 day work week year round! I could end up with neither if I don't get the right people interviewing this summer though.
Tags:closing for summer
Reply Up