Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Napping Issues...Again
mduck 12:50 PM 04-06-2015
How much of a nap should a 16 month old take per day? I'm so used to having children (my own) that love to nap. My Dcg just doesn't nap well at all.

Here is some other info im hoping might help you to help me. It might give you some insight on why she isn't a napper. She is a high strung baby if that is even the right name for it. She doesn't throw fits or tantrums per se. She just does not listen to me. I redirect all day long and when redirected will automatically turn and go right back or will flop to the ground. She repeatedly goes for the things that she knows is not allowed. She can be aggressive when she is tired? Bored? She spits food when she doesn't want to eat it or doesn't want to try it. And I think just for fun will take a big swig of milk and just spit it out. She knows how to open ANYTHING with her teeth, so when I am changing her diaper I have to place rash cream and wipes out of reach. And, she is VERY fast If I go to put her shoes on her,she will take them off again and again. Today during wagon time, she pulled her shoes off and dropped them out of the wagon and then tried to grab the wheels as we were going. Any advice?
Heidi 12:56 PM 04-06-2015
3-4 hours a day, either one morning nap (45 min-1 hour), or not, but a 3 hour nap every afternoon. If not sleeping, then quiet time.

As for the other stuff, she sounds high-spirited. If you know she's going to do the drop when you redirect her, be ready. Get your hands under her armpits, and walk her. When she tries to drop, say "that's not allowed" and continue to walk her.

If she "pitches a fit", give her a place to do it. Away from the activity.
"When you're ready to xyz (listen, play with toys, stop yelling...one directive only), then you can get up".
Gemma 03:41 PM 04-06-2015
Originally Posted by mduck:
How much of a nap should a 16 month old take per day? I'm so used to having children (my own) that love to nap. My Dcg just doesn't nap well at all.

?
By 16mos, my dcks only nap in the afternoon, for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours
spedmommy4 06:31 PM 04-06-2015
All my dck (down to 18 month) sleep at least an hour and a half. That said, I have been working in this field a long time and have seen a few kiddos that young who are just terrible nappers. Most often it's due to a lack of a nap time and bedtime routine at home with a few who genuinely didn't need naps. I would check in with mom and see what the routine is. If no routine, that gives you a big clue. Once she gets used to yours, it should get better.

In terms of recommendations, The National Sleep Foundation just released their new sleep recommendations for kids and adults. The "normal" range for 1-2 was a little as 9 and as much as 16! (Probably why some kids just don't nap well)

http://sleepfoundation.org/how-sleep...we-really-need
pinkyswear 06:34 PM 04-06-2015
I have an 18 month old dcg that I've had since she was 14 months and she only naps ONCE per day for 30-45 minutes. It drives me nuts.
childcaremom 02:00 AM 04-07-2015
From 12-15 mos usually 45 mins in the morning and 1.5-2 hours in the afternoon.

At 15 mos (or earlier, depending), I start transitioning them to just the afternoon. All of the kids I've had slept for 2-3 hours each day.

I've only had one that didn't and he wasn't on any schedule at home. And he sounds like your little one that you have now.
spinnymarie 11:08 AM 04-07-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
From 12-15 mos usually 45 mins in the morning and 1.5-2 hours in the afternoon.

At 15 mos (or earlier, depending), I start transitioning them to just the afternoon. All of the kids I've had slept for 2-3 hours each day.

I've only had one that didn't and he wasn't on any schedule at home. And he sounds like your little one that you have now.
Yep.
Heidi 11:14 AM 04-07-2015
As far as going from 2 naps to 1, I've had some earlier, some later. It depends on when they arrive, too. Kiddos up at 6 am are less likely to make it until noon than those who don't have to get up until 7:30.
Reply Up