Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ringworm
kitykids3 12:39 PM 04-27-2015
Please tell me your experience with ringworm in your daycare and your policies regarding it. I have a child that has it and doc note saying he can come if it is covered, which I am ok with, but he has had it for like 3 weeks and just seems to be spreading. Mom has been treating topically, going to see if something can be taken orally. LO just can't seem to shake it.
Blackcat31 12:53 PM 04-27-2015
Originally Posted by kitykids3:
Please tell me your experience with ringworm in your daycare and your policies regarding it. I have a child that has it and doc note saying he can come if it is covered, which I am ok with, but he has had it for like 3 weeks and just seems to be spreading. Mom has been treating topically, going to see if something can be taken orally. LO just can't seem to shake it.
http://www.hennepin.us/~/media/henne...-s6-ringwm.pdf

I don't serve kids (SA'ers) old enough to follow the "if covered" rule so I would exclude until ALL lesions are gone 100%.
Thriftylady 02:23 PM 04-27-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
http://www.hennepin.us/~/media/henne...-s6-ringwm.pdf

I don't serve kids (SA'ers) old enough to follow the "if covered" rule so I would exclude until ALL lesions are gone 100%.
That is my thought, the keep covered part is the hard part. I wouldn't mind IF it was a child where I could keep it covered.
hope 03:15 PM 04-27-2015
First time I dealt with ringworm was this year. My policy id if it can be covered with a bandage and clothing and not exposed in any way then I will accept. If I feel that it is in an area that can expose others then I will not accept for care. If it is spreading and on hands, face or area that tje child will scratch at I would not accept.
Crazy8 04:45 PM 04-27-2015
I've never experienced it in my daycare but as a mom to 2 wrestlers I've dealt with it in our house… our dr. won't give oral meds unless its ringworm of the scalp. Is mom using prescription cream or OTC? I never had luck with the OTC ones, they take forever to clear up. I would accept child as long as the infected area was completely covered. If child was unable to keep it covered I would have to exclude them.
kitykids3 04:37 AM 04-28-2015
It's a 12 month old and we've had them all covered with bandaids and clothes and they don't get uncovered.
Crystal 07:41 AM 04-28-2015
If it is continuing to spread, then I would discuss proper hand-washing procedures with Mom, as well as the need to wash bedding daily, etc. If he has been on meds and it is continuing, it is likely that after applying the meds, or the child touching them, hands are not being washed, other areas are being touched and then that's where the new ringworm pops up.

I also would not accept him in to care while they are continuing to spread because they are contagious. I would require a doctor's note with a specific plan of action, but still would not accept until they were no longer spreading.
Reply Up