Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Daycare Room Flooring
TXhomedaycare 09:25 AM 01-27-2016
Dh and I are looking into getting new flooring throughout the house including the daycare room in the front. He wants hardwood floors and so do I but we have been warned by a flooring guy that the kids will most likely damage the floors a lot. I say we get laminate in the daycare for now and wood in the rest of the house but dh thinks that will be tacky. I was wondering if a buy a large daycare rug and put it over the wood floors would help. I currently have carpet that I shampoo quarterly so anything to me is an upgrade. Thoughts and suggestions please
Blackcat31 09:31 AM 01-27-2016
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
Dh and I are looking into getting new flooring throughout the house including the daycare room in the front. He wants hardwood floors and so do I but we have been warned by a flooring guy that the kids will most likely damage the floors a lot. I say we get laminate in the daycare for now and wood in the rest of the house but dh thinks that will be tacky. I was wondering if a buy a large daycare rug and put it over the wood floors would help. I currently have carpet that I shampoo quarterly so anything to me is an upgrade. Thoughts and suggestions please
I have engineered hardwood flooring in my entire house.

Granted I do not operate my child care out of my home but I have a dog and 2 cats that live in the house as well as a boat load of nieces and nephews that have played on our floors. None of them have ever damaged the floors in ANY WAY.

The ONLY thing I do not like about them is they are actually harder to clean than other types of flooring.

My advice would be for your DH to do a little research to find out the difference between the different types of hardwood flooring.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd have opted for the tile that "looks" like hardwood flooring but is not.
Second Home 12:09 PM 01-27-2016
It would be much harder to pull up a floor to add hardwood later and look like it was added on later . I would do the whole floor in what you really want and cover the floor for the day care areas.

I have hardwood on my whole first floor . In the daycare room I have foam mats that cover the floor and make a softer area for playing or if the little ones fall.
DaveA 12:28 PM 01-27-2016
I would put down the wood you want. Put down a couple of rugs/ soft play floors and make sure any furniture has floor protectors and you should be fine.
caligirl 06:04 PM 01-27-2016
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
Well, my home is all hardwood floors. I've done daycare here for 30 years, plus having 3 boys of my own.... my floors are just fine. Easy to clean too
NoMoreJuice! 06:50 PM 01-27-2016
Definitely depends on the hardwood. After three years of daycare, mine are horribly scratched. Every scootch of a chair makes me wince. They popped the tires off a monster truck and scraped it down the hallway on the metal wheels...HUGE damage.

I heard strand bamboo is gorgeous, and way more durable than normal hardwood. Eco friendly too, bonus! Cover everything with rugs.
Reply Up