Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Too Much Food?
Indoorvoice 05:50 AM 12-18-2018
Does 6 oz of formula mixed with breast milk for a 2.5month old every 2-3 hours sound like a lot of food? Baby downs the bottles but then spits most of it back up. If I give baby less, dcm gets really distressed. She wants her to have a lot during the day so she sleeps through the night. I know that's not how it works, but dcm is convinced and I kind of get scolded if I don't feed her the whole 6oz at every feeding. Do you school the parents on things like this or what? I don't want to lie about how much I'm feeding her baby, but I'm kind of sick of either getting spit up all over everything or getting scolded by the dcm. I'm thinking 4oz every 2-3 hours would be much more realistic for this baby. Should I just do it and take the scolding or continue with the massive amounts of spit up?
Pestle 05:55 AM 12-18-2018
What's the nipple flow on the bottles? Can you use a slower-flow nipple?
Ariana 06:14 AM 12-18-2018
I would give her the 4oz but spread it out so she is getting more feeds. So instead of 6oz in 4-5 feeds do 4oz in 6 feeds type of thing. This way she is getting the milk but not too much at each feeding.

I would just explain to mom that this is what I will be doing going forward to reduce spit up and in the end it ensures she is getting all of the milk rather than spitting it up.
LittleExplorers 06:28 AM 12-18-2018
Give mom some info on babies sleeping through the night. I don't let parents dictate quantity of food. As someone mentioned above, I would feed less more often to see if that helps baby keep down food better.
Indoorvoice 06:35 AM 12-18-2018
Right now dcm sends me prepared bottles because she mixes breast milk with formula. So she sends 4 6oz bottles. The nipple is size 2 but I do paced feeding with her so that's not a huge issue I don't think. So should I ask her to send 6 4oz bottles instead? What if dcm doesn't agree? She is so weird about the bottles. She mentioned that soon she will be wearing to just formula and then I will prepare the bottles. I can't wait.
Pestle 06:45 AM 12-18-2018
Can't you just put half of the bottle you are working on into a clean jar and refrigerate it?

Are you sure a level one nipple wouldn't help?
jenboo 06:49 AM 12-18-2018
A level 2 nipple is so fast for such a young baby. I usually keep all babies at a level 1.

I would just divide the bottles myself (using a cup or something) and give 4oz bottles.
Indoorvoice 06:50 AM 12-18-2018
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Can't you just put half of the bottle you are working on into a clean jar and refrigerate it?

Are you sure a level one nipple wouldn't help?
Oh duh! That's a great idea! I'm not sure about the nipple. DCM just switched to 2s right after starting here and she threw away the 1s. Maybe I'll just go grab some at the store and see if that helps
Blackcat31 06:59 AM 12-18-2018
While it's not harmful to mix formula and breastmilk in the same bottle it isn't recommended for 2 reasons:

* If you offer your breast milk first, your baby will get all of your breast milk, and you won't have to worry about wasting the little bit of breast milk that you have. But, if you add your breast milk to a bottle of infant formula, some of your breast milk will go to waste if your baby doesn't finish the entire bottle.

*Since breast milk contains more nutritional and health properties than formula, it is best if your baby gets all of the breast milk that's available. Then, once your child finishes your breast milk, you can offer the formula supplement for the remainder of the feeding.

As for feeding the baby so they will be full and sleep better.... I would NOT agree to that. It's not okay and it's probably doing more harm than good.

I understand the parent is not hearing anyone else as far as advice to not to that but I wouldn't be part of it at daycare. I would not allow her to "scold" me on it either as I am a professional child care provider that has been trained in proper nutrition and how to feed 'baby' so if she doesn't want to heed my knowledge in that regard, she may need to re-think what is the best fit for child care.

I would advice her to discuss her feeding methods/beliefs with her pediatrician and I would not accept "well the Dr said...." as we all know the Dr said what the parent wants to hear or what the parent thinks they said.

If it isn't in writing it isn't what the Dr said in my eyes.
Mom2Two 01:12 PM 12-18-2018
I read the other replies kinda fast, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating.

If the lo is spitting up, I would definitely give the ebm first, by itself. It will leave the stomach quicker (= less spit up).

If giving some fortified ebm (i.e mixing with formula) I'm wondering which kind. Some leaves the stomach quicker. Whey based will leave the stomach quicker, such as the "Comfort proteins" brand.

Also, how rich are you making the fortified? Average ebm is 20 kcal/oz, but mine was closer to 30 kcal/oz, so very fatty. Adding extra formula on top of that (dd was failure to thrive) would add an extra 4 calories or 8 calories. Did you get a "recipe" from a pediatric GI?

My policy is for infant moms to bring their bottles already made up with lids, but if a child was spitting up here, I would for sure start micro-managing, and I think I'd start asking for info from a pediatric GI especially with the spitting up.
Indoorvoice 06:09 PM 12-18-2018
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
I read the other replies kinda fast, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating.

If the lo is spitting up, I would definitely give the ebm first, by itself. It will leave the stomach quicker (= less spit up).

If giving some fortified ebm (i.e mixing with formula) I'm wondering which kind. Some leaves the stomach quicker. Whey based will leave the stomach quicker, such as the "Comfort proteins" brand.

Also, how rich are you making the fortified? Average ebm is 20 kcal/oz, but mine was closer to 30 kcal/oz, so very fatty. Adding extra formula on top of that (dd was failure to thrive) would add an extra 4 calories or 8 calories. Did you get a "recipe" from a pediatric GI?

My policy is for infant moms to bring their bottles already made up with lids, but if a child was spitting up here, I would for sure start micro-managing, and I think I'd start asking for info from a pediatric GI especially with the spitting up.
Dcm is premaking the bottles and sending them so I honestly have no idea the ratio she is using. When she first started she told me she wanted to wean to all formula "soon" but I assumed soon would be much sooner. I'm off all next week so if she isn't switched over to all formula by then I will definitely have the conversation.
Tags:eating too much, feeding issues
Reply Up