Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Change Rates When Kids Attend Preschool?
broncomom1973 04:24 PM 04-14-2011
I have always wondered how daycares charge when dck attend preschool part of the day. I normally charge a weekly rate, but will have 1 or 2 kids attending a preschool from 8:30-11:00 a.m. two days/week. Do I subtract out those hours even though I dont offer "part-time" care? Thanks.
Unregistered 04:30 PM 04-14-2011
I don't. They are buying a full time spot, not hours. It's not like I can have a kid come in from 8:00 to 11:30 and fill that spot. Plus, they are still eating meals at my house usually, but even if not, I don't. A full time spot is a full time spot. That is very normal around here... small town Iowa.
MsMe 04:33 PM 04-14-2011
I do not change rates for children that attend preschool.
AfterSchoolMom 04:34 PM 04-14-2011
I wouldn't. It's not your choice for them to attend preschool. Why should you suffer financially? Do you charge when they're home sick, or when they go on vacation? I don't see how that would be any different.
nannyde 04:48 PM 04-14-2011
No I wouldn't.
Mrs.Ky 04:54 PM 04-14-2011
Nope parents still pay FULL price and I do not do transportation for pre k either. If kids go to pre k fulltime then they need to find alternate care I dont do after school or before school care either.
Unregistered 06:41 PM 04-14-2011
I don't. You can't or wont fill that spot with someone else so why lose the income?
MyAngels 04:42 AM 04-15-2011
I don't normally change my rates for preschool. I have made one exception to that for a family that I knew could not afford the cost of preschool and daycare, but their child really needed to go to preschool, so I reduced my rate by $25 per week during the school year. They didn't ask me to do it, I offered.
melskids 04:44 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by Mrs.Ky:
Nope parents still pay FULL price and I do not do transportation for pre k either. If kids go to pre k fulltime then they need to find alternate care I dont do after school or before school care either.
ditto...same here
Meeko 04:51 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I don't normally change my rates for preschool. I have made one exception to that for a family that I knew could not afford the cost of preschool and daycare, but their child really needed to go to preschool, so I reduced my rate by $25 per week during the school year. They didn't ask me to do it, I offered.
You're too nice! The parents are making out like bandits! You dropped your fee by $25 per week! Maybe it's different around you, but here....pre-school is only 2 or 3 days a week for a couple hours and costs nowhere near $100 per month...which means you are actually paying for their child's pre-school AND putting cash in their pocket each month!

I love my day care kids....but not enough to give my earnings to their parents!
Meyou 05:02 AM 04-15-2011
No discount here. I also don't drive to or from preschool and they must go to a MWF program so I can plan around it.
MyAngels 05:24 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
You're too nice! The parents are making out like bandits! You dropped your fee by $25 per week! Maybe it's different around you, but here....pre-school is only 2 or 3 days a week for a couple hours and costs nowhere near $100 per month...which means you are actually paying for their child's pre-school AND putting cash in their pocket each month!

I love my day care kids....but not enough to give my earnings to their parents!
I guess I feel like that's the good part about owning my own business. I get to make decisions like these on a case-by-case basis. This particular family was really struggling to make ends meet, both parents working full-time in low paying jobs while going to school (both of them) to get a degree to make life better for their family. Preschool here is about $150 or so per month for the three day programs and they were not planning on sending their child, even though she needed it. Both parents did end up with a degree and good jobs, and have referred a lot of people to me since they left here.

So, in many ways, my sacrifice of a few hundred dollars over the course of one school year has paid off. I'm just glad that I'm in a position that I can do something like this if I want to .
Meeko 05:31 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I guess I feel like that's the good part about owning my own business. I get to make decisions like these on a case-by-case basis. This particular family was really struggling to make ends meet, both parents working full-time in low paying jobs while going to school (both of them) to get a degree to make life better for their family. Preschool here is about $150 or so per month for the three day programs and they were not planning on sending their child, even though she needed it. Both parents did end up with a degree and good jobs, and have referred a lot of people to me since they left here.

So, in many ways, my sacrifice of a few hundred dollars over the course of one school year has paid off. I'm just glad that I'm in a position that I can do something like this if I want to .

mac60 05:43 AM 04-15-2011
I do not discount for preschool. Rate stays the same.
BentleysBands 06:11 AM 04-15-2011
i have never been in a position to worry about it. over the years parents and i all agree that children dont need 'preschool' . let them be kids. they just dont have the ability to sit and do work. IMHO kids learn the best by hands on thru playing,songs and just daily re-enforcement.
Tags:preschool - rates, rates
Reply Up