Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Co Sleeping Tragedy
blueclouds29 10:28 AM 11-17-2011
Ok, so people have mentioned co-sleeping with their child/ren cause of all the abductions going on, well this is something to think about now! How awful and can't imagine the feeling the parents specially Dad is going through!!

http://www.fox2now.com/news/ktvi-sou...,5717717.story
dave4him 10:31 AM 11-17-2011
When our Avery was one she took an afternoon nap with us and somehow slid off behind the bed against the wall and didnt wake up.... we were freaked till we realized where she went.... plenty of room for her thankfully
wdmmom 10:43 AM 11-17-2011
How many more tragedies need to happen before parents realize that this is NOT the best option?!

I couldn't live with myself if something like that happened to my child. Especially when I could have prevented it!

Don't say it couldn't happen or would "never" happen. THIS is proof that it CAN and DOES happen! SAD!!!!
laundrymom 10:49 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
How many more tragedies need to happen before parents realize that this is NOT the best option?!

I couldn't live with myself if something like that happened to my child. Especially when I could have prevented it!

Don't say it couldn't happen or would "never" happen. THIS is proof that it CAN and DOES happen! SAD!!!!
I cant make myself click on it. But I wholeheartedly agree with wdwmom. Twice.
cheerfuldom 10:54 AM 11-17-2011
There wasn't many details. It is my understanding that many "co-sleeping" deaths also have alcohol or drugs involved, even sleeping medications. Or too many blankets and pillows on the bed. Those details usually come out way after the headlines of "death due to co-sleeping" and don't get the same coverage. Just keep that in mind when you read these stories. It is very sad for the family, no matter what happened.

I feel that co-sleeping can be done safely and have done so with my three kids. We have a separate area for the babies but they do sleep in our bed sometimes as well. We are carefully about the bedding and never, ever use any alcohol or drugs or medications (not ever and not just because of co-sleeping). I do feel that our kids are safely bed sharing but I realize this is a very hot topic.
kendallina 10:58 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
There wasn't many details. It is my understanding that many "co-sleeping" deaths also have alcohol or drugs involved, even sleeping medications. Or too many blankets and pillows on the bed. Those details usually come out way after the headlines of "death due to co-sleeping" and don't get the same coverage. Just keep that in mind when you read these stories. It is very sad for the family, no matter what happened.

I feel that co-sleeping can be done safely and have done so with my three kids. We have a separate area for the babies but they do sleep in our bed sometimes as well. We are carefully about the bedding and never, ever use any alcohol or drugs or medications (not ever and not just because of co-sleeping). I do feel that our kids are safely bed sharing but I realize this is a very hot topic.
I agree, well said.
Meeko 11:06 AM 11-17-2011
For those that want to co-sleep, there are things available to make it safer. Bassinets that have a side that drops down to make it level with the bedside..(not actually IN the bed, but right beside it) I have seen what to all intents and purposes is a box that goes in the middle of the bed, so that baby sleeps safely and Mum and Dad can't roll over the sides of the box. (However, what this does to husband and wife intimacy doesn't bear thinking about!)

Anything other than that is begging for an accident.

I bet every single parent who has smothered a baby in the same bed said it would never happen to them, that they were a light sleeper, or that they were "careful". Nobody intends to smother their baby to death in bed. So why does it happen? Because they are SLEEPING!!!! We don't know WHAT we are doing when we sleep! We all have, at one time or another, woken up to find the pillow on the floor, or the sheets all screwed up and wonder how on earth it happened. But those things can be fixed. You can't fix a dead baby or a broken, guilty heart.
melissa ann 12:16 PM 11-17-2011

I also agree 100%.

Also, as I posted in the thread, another horrible act, I no longer jump on the parents side and show sympathy towards them. Too many times, they were the one who committed the crime. Maybe it was an accident, or maybe it was set up to look that way.
Country Kids 12:35 PM 11-17-2011
It doesn't just happen with co sleeping-even though I didn't read the article. We had a child that an older toddler get wedged between the twin bed and the wall somehow in our town many years ago. The child smothered in their sleep.
youretooloud 02:28 PM 11-17-2011
I don't think it was JUST a co-sleeping incident. I think it was an unsafe situation.
Danielle 02:29 PM 11-17-2011
I agree with the others saying that there's not enough info in the article. But, let me point out that one of the rules of safe cosleeping is mom is more aware than even dad so having baby sleep with just dad or even between mom and dad is not recommended. I hate that whenever there's a cosleeping death you hear "cosleeping is dangerous!" but do you hear "crib sleeping is dangerous" every time you hear about a baby dieing in his/her crib? No.. It should be "cosleeping while ____ is dangerous" just like you'd hear "crib sleeping with __(ex. blankets)__ is dangerous"
SimpleMom 03:02 PM 11-17-2011

I agree as well. Very well put.
Tags:article, co-sleeping, death, parental life choices, positional asphyxia, suids
Reply Up