Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mom Says Baby Didn't Sleep Well Last Night
Mandy_Jane 07:53 AM 11-29-2011
Ok, so 8 week old daycare baby just came back yesterday after a 5 day break from daycare. Mom told me this morning that he didn't sleep well last night. She says she doesn't understand how I get him to sleep so much while he's here during the day. I told her I just swaddle him and put him in the swing where he proceeds to fall straight to sleep. She says at home he hates his swing. I asked if her swing was different than mine and apparently she has a cradle swing. Mine is just a forward and back swing but it does lay back pretty far for infants.

Anyway, she said for his whole vacation she could only get him to nap for 1 to 1 1/2 hours at a time during the day. For me he naps anywhere from 2-4 hours anytime he goes to sleep. So, I'm not sure if mom is wanting me to wake him up during the day or what. I don't want mad parents who can't sleep at night because the baby is sleeping too much here. But I also DON'T want a fussy baby who I am fighting with to keep awake. What do you all recommend I do?
cheerfuldom 07:57 AM 11-29-2011
He needs to be put on a routine at your house, including weaning off the swing. Its dangerous to let babies sleep in swings.....after that, stick with your routine.
nannyde 08:03 AM 11-29-2011
Oh friend what you are doing is so so so so dangerous.

He should not be swaddled and he should NEVER sleep in a swing.
Please read this series from your home state.

http://editorialmatters.lee.net/watc...cc4c03286.html
Unregistered 08:19 AM 11-29-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

I know about the dangers of sleeping in a swing but can babies NOT be swaddled? Is it not recommended? Swaddling is the only way I can get my youngest one to sleep so.....
cheerfuldom 08:34 AM 11-29-2011
you could look for better alternatives to blanket swaddling.....have you tried the halo sleep sack/swaddler?
laundrymom 08:38 AM 11-29-2011

I love you Nan. :-).
MsMe 08:44 AM 11-29-2011
Never allow a child to sleep in a swing. Ever.
Mandy_Jane 09:36 AM 11-29-2011
Actually, I do use the Halo sleepsack swaddler. I don't do blanket swadding. And I don't let him sleep in the swing. He just falls asleep in it and then I move him to the crib where he sleep on his back with a sleep positioner. But again, he still sleeps for 2-4 hours for me even though he apparently doesn't do so for his mother.

Nan - I am wondering why you reference "My State" when linking to that article. Maybe you didn't mean it this way, but I took that as an insult. First off, I am not currently licensed, but I was licensed for 5 years before my two daughters were born. So I know all of the safety requirements for safe sleeping. My house still meets all of the fire and health safety requirements and I follow all the rules to a T even though I don't have my official license hanging on the wall. Just because I live in Missouri doesn't mean I am an airhead provider who is taking all kinds of safety risks. Even if I hadn't been licensed, I already know all the risks of SIDS because of my own two daughters. The hospitals here do very well informing parents about SIDS. I still have my SIDS magnets hanging on my fridge that list all of the risk factors and what not to do.

My first daughter slept the first 6 months of her life in a swing. I have never been told that swing sleeping causes any more of risk of death to a child than lying in a crib But what I DO know is that if a child is going to die from SIDS, there is not much you can do to prevent it. You can do EVERY single thing exactly right, and a baby can still die.

I am going to do some research on this issue to learn for myself the risk factors and I will talk with my pediatrician about it as well to get their input. I just like to know all of the facts.
nannyde 09:42 AM 11-29-2011
Originally Posted by Mandy_Jane:
Actually, I do use the Halo sleepsack swaddler. I don't do blanket swadding. And I don't let him sleep in the swing. He just falls asleep in it and then I move him to the crib where he sleep on his back with a sleep positioner. But again, he still sleeps for 2-4 hours for me even though he apparently doesn't do so for his mother.

Nan - I am wondering why you reference "My State" when linking to that article. Maybe you didn't mean it this way, but I took that as an insult. First off, I am not currently licensed, but I was licensed for 5 years before my two daughters were born. So I know all of the safety requirements for safe sleeping. My house still meets all of the fire and health safety requirements and I follow all the rules to a T even though I don't have my official license hanging on the wall. Just because I live in Missouri doesn't mean I am an airhead provider who is taking all kinds of safety risks. Even if I hadn't been licensed, I already know all the risks of SIDS because of my own two daughters. The hospitals here do very well informing parents about SIDS. I still have my SIDS magnets hanging on my fridge that list all of the risk factors and what not to do.

My first daughter slept the first 6 months of her life in a swing. I have never been told that swing sleeping causes any more of risk of death to a child than lying in a crib But what I DO know is that if a child is going to die from SIDS, there is not much you can do to prevent it. You can do EVERY single thing exactly right, and a baby can still die.

I am going to do some research on this issue to learn for myself the risk factors and I will talk with my pediatrician about it as well to get their input. I just like to know all of the facts.
Oh no no no no no

I didn't mean it the way you think.

I meant that your state has had the huge BENEFIT of having a big gun like the st louis post dispatch do the investigative journalism it took to one by one identify the cause of death of these babies who died in day care. It's a BLESSING to have someone put the MONEY and time into investigation like this. Nobody else is doing it that I know of. It's the wild wild west with SIDS confirmation because there aren't any standards from city to county to state to US.

I misread about him falling asleep in the swing. I thought you meant sleeping in the swing. If he is able to do the transfer and sleep for two plus hours you don't really need the few minutes of swinging. It would be a VERY VERY rare baby that could just be in the swing a couple of minutes and be deep enough in sleep to do the transfer. You have that one in a million so you can easily just put him to bed on his back.

NO positional devices though. He shouldn't have ANYTHING in his bed. Sleep sack over clothes and NOTHING in the bed.
renodeb 09:43 AM 11-29-2011
At that age they still sleep alot, I would start laying him in a crib though, he will get a much better sleep. Swaddling him is a great idea though, I have swaddled every baby that has come through here and that really gets them to sleep. Where I live we are not allowed to let them sleep in a swing or car seat. Do you have him every day? I wouldnt worry about getting him on a schedule until hes older. When my now 5 m/o first started she would sleep all morning wake up for a bottle, stay awake for an hour then have another shorter nap but was always sleepy right around pickups. I started messing with her scheudle (big mistake) and found that she wasnt sleeping at all. Shes starting to resolve her sleep issues on her own because shes a little older now and wakeful for longer.
I think parents of newborns often make the mistake of picking them up and holding them when they wake up in the middle of the night. I say feed them check there diaper and back to bed they go. The baby will learn day from night on his own as he gets older. Dont worry about it to much, afterall a c ranky baby at dc is hard enough.
I use one of those swaddle me wraps for my dc babies, are they saying thats no good to use? My dc babies are in a crib from the get go on there backs.
Debbie
nannyde 09:44 AM 11-29-2011
But what I DO know is that if a child is going to die from SIDS, there is not much you can do to prevent it.
That's because positional asphxia deaths are being classified as sids. There is a lot you can do to prevent positional asphxia.
cheerfuldom 10:00 AM 11-29-2011
definitely look into SIDS related issues....there are A LOT of preventable situations that are termed as SIDS. such has blankets getting around babies heads, co-sleeping unsafely, positional issues, etc. Of course no one can know for sure with every child death but it is very clear, from a basic research of the topic, that there ARE ways to have a child sleep safely and things that should be avoided.
Michelle 10:04 AM 11-29-2011
taken from article Although there is still no known cause for SIDS, studies show some infants can die when they rebreathe their own exhaled carbon dioxide trapped within soft bedding such as blankets, mattresses or pillows. They are particularly vulnerable in new, unsafe sleep environments, such as those sometimes found in the first few days of child care.

Wow! and all the info about how dangerous it is to let a baby sleep in a swing.
I am glad that swings are not allowed in Ca. Daycares
I wouldn't do it regardless but this is scary.
Mandy_Jane 10:30 AM 11-29-2011
That's because positional asphxia deaths are being classified as sids. There is a lot you can do to prevent positional asphxia.
Do you or does anyone else have any links that talk about deaths in baby swings due to positional asphyxia? The only links I am finding on it do not mention swing sleeping at all. In fact, I found sites saying it is ok for the babies to sleep in their carseat as long as you buckle them in so they can't slide down in to a position that could block their airway. And this was a site to educate about positional asphyxia. It's confusing information.

http://www.babyyourbaby.org/infants/...l-asphyxia.php
sharlan 10:44 AM 11-29-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
taken from article Although there is still no known cause for SIDS, studies show some infants can die when they rebreathe their own exhaled carbon dioxide trapped within soft bedding such as blankets, mattresses or pillows. They are particularly vulnerable in new, unsafe sleep environments, such as those sometimes found in the first few days of child care.

Wow! and all the info about how dangerous it is to let a baby sleep in a swing.
I am glad that swings are not allowed in Ca. Daycares
I wouldn't do it regardless but this is scary.
You may wish to call your local CCL. Swings ARE allowed in CA.
Mandy_Jane 10:57 AM 11-29-2011
Ok, I did find some links referring to swings. I can see how they possibly could be a hazard. But you know, as my husband was saying when I told him about sleep positioners and swings, you really can't do ANYTHING right with babies these days. There are SO many hazards and warnings for EVERYTHING. It's a wonder the human race has survived at all!
blueclouds29 11:04 AM 11-29-2011

I agree, my dd slept in a swing and DCB slept in the swing for 4 months and they were fine. The swing in the living room where everyone plays, and naps.
where else can newborns sleep besides the packnplay which is in a bedroom where no one goes. Of course ihave a monitor but that doesn't tell you if they stopped breathing. Just doesn't make sense to me.... i don't get it....
sharlan 11:06 AM 11-29-2011
Ok, I did find some links referring to swings. I can see how they possibly could be a hazard. But you know, as my husband was saying when I told him about sleep positioners and swings, you really can't do ANYTHING right with babies these days. There are SO many hazards and warnings for EVERYTHING. It's a wonder the human race has survived at all!
You're right. It's amazing how us older parents managed to raise babies into adulthood using swings, bouncers, walkers, etc, plus put our babies to bed on their tummies, using blankets. I didn't have a carseat for my eldest child, no one used them. I had a little carrier/seat that she laid in that I set on the floor.
Just Saying 11:10 AM 11-29-2011
Remember when they were called Pumpkin Seats?? Now that is WAYYYY back
caring4kidsinSD 11:13 AM 11-29-2011
Originally Posted by blueclouds29:
Of course ihave a monitor but that doesn't tell you if they stopped breathing. ....
The angel care monitor does and it's well worth the money. I use it in the pack n play of whoever is my littlest one at the time. well worth the peace of mind when trying to watch the other kids during the day. And if he happens to sleep forever one day because he's tired, I don't have to run in there every 30 minutes to see if he is still breathing.
MsMe 11:22 AM 11-29-2011
The "I never used a car seat" and "my babay slept in a swing" views don't make it ok.

More kids died in car accdents before todays safty seats and less babaies are dieing today because of better sleep education.

Nan can (and has many times) say it better than I can....but just bc you ar your kids were fine doesn't mean the risk was less. You were just lucky.
blueclouds29 11:25 AM 11-29-2011
Originally Posted by caring4kidsinSD:
The angel care monitor does and it's well worth the money. I use it in the pack n play of whoever is my littlest one at the time. well worth the peace of mind when trying to watch the other kids during the day. And if he happens to sleep forever one day because he's tired, I don't have to run in there every 30 minutes to see if he is still breathing.
Thank you! I have a newborn starting in Jan and i'm due in May. Hmmm might be something to look into!
Michelle 02:37 PM 11-29-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
You may wish to call your local CCL. Swings ARE allowed in CA.
o.k. I will call, but I remember 10 years ago my licenser said "no."
I know, I know... if it's not written in the handbook,
nannyde 02:46 PM 11-29-2011
http://www.idph.state.ia.us/hcci/com...ositioning.pdf
MarinaVanessa 03:33 PM 11-29-2011
Yep, CA FCC provider here also. Swings are ok to use but you have to take them out as soon as they fall asleep. I did however have a licensor (not my licensor) tell me that I couldn't have one. Long story short, I asked her to prove it in writing and she changed her story from "we don't allow it" to "it's frowned upon". I just love me an argument with licensing lol. My actual licensor is however very good.

I have happily used a swing in my DC for years but remember ... awake in swing ok, asleep in swing not ok. Just the opposite of a baby in a crib or pack'n'play.
momofboys 03:37 PM 11-29-2011
Do you or does anyone else have any links that talk about deaths in baby swings due to positional asphyxia? The only links I am finding on it do not mention swing sleeping at all. In fact, I found sites saying it is ok for the babies to sleep in their carseat as long as you buckle them in so they can't slide down in to a position that could block their airway. And this was a site to educate about positional asphyxia. It's confusing information.

http://www.babyyourbaby.org/infants/...l-asphyxia.php
I have not read all the posts but aside from it being dangerous the issue I would have is that you aren't teaching the child to fall asleep on their own - you are relying on the swing to "put him to sleep" so to speak. Not good - what do you do when the kid is 9 months old or whatever & can no longer go in the swing to fall asleep. Babies need to learn to fall asleep without being rocked or swung.
daycare 04:02 PM 11-29-2011
Swings can be used in CA only when child is awake. They cannot be used for an infant to sleep in. Reason, increase risks of sids.

Went to a class last week !!!
daycare 04:03 PM 11-29-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Yep, CA FCC provider here also. Swings are ok to use but you have to take them out as soon as they fall asleep. I did however have a licensor (not my licensor) tell me that I couldn't have one. Long story short, I asked her to prove it in writing and she changed her story from "we don't allow it" to "it's frowned upon". I just love me an argument with licensing lol. My actual licensor is however very good.

I have happily used a swing in my DC for years but remember ... awake in swing ok, asleep in swing not ok. Just the opposite of a baby in a crib or pack'n'play.
Sorry just saw this.
Yes ditto this
Michelle 05:37 PM 11-29-2011
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I have not read all the posts but aside from it being dangerous the issue I would have is that you aren't teaching the child to fall asleep on their own - you are relying on the swing to "put him to sleep" so to speak. Not good - what do you do when the kid is 9 months old or whatever & can no longer go in the swing to fall asleep. Babies need to learn to fall asleep without being rocked or swung.
I actually had a 2 year old boy who's parent put him in the swing so long that he rocked himself to sleep smacking his head on the side of the crib.( at my house)
They said they only stopped using the swing because he got too heavy and bent the bars on it. He only slept in the swing at home. He was well over one years old.
Meyou 03:22 AM 11-30-2011
I actually had a 2 year old boy who's parent put him in the swing so long that he rocked himself to sleep smacking his head on the side of the crib.( at my house)
They said they only stopped using the swing because he got too heavy and bent the bars on it. He only slept in the swing at home. He was well over one years old.
I have a friend who did that and then they switched to rocking him to sleep in a rocking chair when he broke the swing. By the time he was 4 it took a couple of hours out of her night every night. Now that I think about it she had constant babysitter problems and he had 4 sitters that I can remember before he started school. I stopped caring for him and his sister two years ago as SA kids because they didn't fit in my program anymore. He wanted to stay in the basement all summer and play video games instead of go to the beach and she (7 yrs) brought "27 Dresses" everyday to watch.
mommiesherie 06:25 AM 11-30-2011
Wow that's not healthy. How did that child get any real rest? Wow
Michelle 08:35 AM 11-30-2011
Originally Posted by mommiesherie:
Wow that's not healthy. How did that child get any real rest? Wow
he was one of the most difficult children we ever had.
He bit my daughter, threw a chair against my sliding glass door, and screamed at the top of his lungs every day, termed him early on.
Parents thought it was cute to smack dad in the face... was trying to make him "tough" so we wouldn't get picked on in school.
Michelle 08:36 AM 11-30-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I have a friend who did that and then they switched to rocking him to sleep in a rocking chair when he broke the swing. By the time he was 4 it took a couple of hours out of her night every night. Now that I think about it she had constant babysitter problems and he had 4 sitters that I can remember before he started school. I stopped caring for him and his sister two years ago as SA kids because they didn't fit in my program anymore. He wanted to stay in the basement all summer and play video games instead of go to the beach and she (7 yrs) brought "27 Dresses" everyday to watch.
I can see some "Mommy issues" there...
Reply Up