Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Now?
daycare 08:43 AM 11-19-2014
I termed a client a few months back and client was due a refund of full deposit. After leaving, I mailed off a check for the full deposit.

I know I should have mailed it off certified mail, but I did not. to date, the client still has not cashed it. I did send an email asking if they received the check in the mail as I had noticed it has not been cashed yet.

I never heard back.

The client is mad that I won't take them back, so I know that this may be why they won't respond to my emails.

What do I do now? Leave it or continue to try to communicate with them?
NoMoreJuice! 08:57 AM 11-19-2014
I would cancel that check with my bank and send a certified money order that they'd have to sign for. What a pita.
Thriftylady 09:12 AM 11-19-2014
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
I would cancel that check with my bank and send a certified money order that they'd have to sign for. What a pita.
This but first I may send a certified letter stating that if I had to do that, the fees for stopping payment would be taken out of their refund.
Shell 09:22 AM 11-19-2014
Hmm, I might just leave it. You sent it and contacted them- they need to reach out to you if they didn't get it. Just make sure you make note of it in your checkbook in case they do cash it- you want to be balanced.
Second Home 09:43 AM 11-19-2014
I always get my neighbors mail and mail for the people who lived here before us ( over 7yrs ago) . I would wonder if they received the first check at all . But since they are not responding to your e-mails it will be hard to know .

I would cancel the check and send one ( check or money order ) certified mail that way you have proof they received it and they can not come back on you months later and say they never received it . That would be my biggest worry .
daycarediva 10:34 AM 11-19-2014
I would send a certified letter stating that they need to contact you via email by X date (I'd say 14 days) to verify their address. If they notify you by X date, a refund, less the stop check fee, certified mail fee, and certified check fee, will be sent no later than X date.

I would also state in the letter that failure to contact you by X date will be considered refusal to accept the refund and that the refund will NOT be given after X date.

I would NOT be chasing people down to give them money back.
melilley 10:41 AM 11-19-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I would send a certified letter stating that they need to contact you via email by X date (I'd say 14 days) to verify their address. If they notify you by X date, a refund, less the stop check fee, certified mail fee, and certified check fee, will be sent no later than X date.

I would also state in the letter that failure to contact you by X date will be considered refusal to accept the refund and that the refund will NOT be given after X date.

I would NOT be chasing people down to give them money back.

grandmom 02:54 PM 11-19-2014
I wouldn't send a certified check or money order.

You contacted them. If they want their money back they can come to you. You sent them a check. If they don't cash it in time, it will not be valid (is it 90 days?). After that time, you can just add that amount back in your check register.
momofboys 06:15 PM 11-19-2014
Originally Posted by grandmom:

You contacted them. If they want their money back they can come to you. You sent them a check. If they don't cash it in time, it will not be valid (is it 90 days?). After that time, you can just add that amount back in your check register.
Is that true? I know I have given relatives birthday checks & they didn't cash them for months. They still went through. I didn't think banks really check the dates unless you are a business & your check explicitly states you can't cash it after a certain time frame.
Unregistered 05:44 AM 11-20-2014
Checks are stale dated after 6 months. At that point the bank can refuse to cash it. Sometimes it may still slip through. As a former bank teller, if we caught a date that was months out, we'd usually tell the customer to ask for a new check.
Heidi 02:03 PM 11-20-2014
Originally Posted by grandmom:

180 days
(ex banker)
Heidi 02:05 PM 11-20-2014
Originally Posted by momofboys:
Is that true? I know I have given relatives birthday checks & they didn't cash them for months. They still went through. I didn't think banks really check the dates unless you are a business & your check explicitly states you can't cash it after a certain time frame.
THey may not catch it, because everything is electronic now-a-days. No one actually looks at checks anymore.

HOWEVER, if the check is deposited after it is stale dated, Daycare can contact her bank. They will then have to return the check (if they're within their time limit) and refund the money to her.
Reply Up