Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Maybe I am the worlds worst communicator
Thriftylady 12:39 PM 11-08-2015
Wednesday evening, hubby was delivering a load 40 miles from home. Once my DCG's left I had no kids until tomorrow afternoon (Monday), and an interview on Tuesday. So DD drove me up there and I got in the truck with him.

On Wednesday, a lady had messaged me on Facebook wanting a quote I got the hours and ages and such and gave her a quote. By the time I heard from her again Thursday I was in the truck with DH. She wanted to come meet with me right away, because she needed care to start Monday, because her "babysitter quit on her". I told her I couldn't promise to meet until Tuesday (I get to get a lovely root canal tomorrow, so that knocks Monday out for an interview as far as I am concerned, I won't be able to talk right), She keeps going on about it, so I told her "I am out of town with hubby since I didn't have any kiddos so I can't". She messages me again still saying she needs care tomorrow. I then told her that even if we had an interview, it did not mean I would offer a spot that I wouldn't know until we talk if my program would be a fit. So then she gets nasty and says "oh so you only keep certain kids then you should say that in your ad". I pretty much left it at that. But I thought it was pretty much industry standard that after the interview both parties made a decision. Am I wrong? Should that be staged in the ad? I guess I am confused because she was so upset about it.

But then we didn't even get to the part where I told her I would need the enrollment fee and tuition up front, that is where I normally loose people.
spedmommy4 01:31 PM 11-08-2015
I doubt that you are the worlds worst communicator. I'm pretty sure it's just the nature of the business. For example, it's cold and flu season. (Already!). I send home my illness policy and have parents initial at enrollment. I recently emailed an abbreviated version of the policy. I also posted the cute image version to my shutterfly class page, Facebook, and Instagram.

Last week I sent dcb3 home at 3:30 pm with 102 fever and guess who showed up the next day. The parents totally knew my policy. They just didn't want to "hear" it.

Same principle applies to your situation. You didn't tell her what she wanted to hear so she ignored it.

And from what I read on here, I think that interviewing for fit is common practice. I kind of do it. I am looking more at the parents than the kids though. I can work with with difficult kids. I typically can't work with or change challenging parents.
Preschool/daycare teacher 01:32 PM 11-08-2015
I have never advertised that in my ads, and I don't know anybody else that does. I have a family right now who is new to the whole childcare thing (dcg had always stayed home with mom or dad) and when I did the meeting with the family and discussed my program and everything, I let them know that I'd be making a decision and for them to go home and talk and decide as well, and that I would talk to them by the end of the week. Even being new to the childcare thing, they understood and didn't have a problem or act offended. They let me know before the end of the week that they'd like me to care for her, if I offered the spot to them. But the point is, they had never used childcare before and they even understood that and didn't think anything of it, so I think you should be glad that pushy mom moved on You didn't say anything wrong.
Thriftylady 01:36 PM 11-08-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
And from what I read on here, I think that interviewing for fit is common practice. I kind of do it. I am looking more at the parents than the kids though. I can work with with difficult kids. I typically can't work with or change challenging parents.
I am also looking more at parents than kids to decide who I will work with. I am looking mostly for ones who will follow my policies and will have a working relationship with me. I have found that sometimes the kids who are the most challenging for their parents are not so bad with someone else. And I know providers are not the only ones that see that. Last year one of DD's teachers told her that the parents they always see at High School conferences are usually the ones they need to talk to the least.
nannyde 01:54 PM 11-08-2015
"Yes I only keep certain kids. They are always the children of well behaved parents."
Ariana 02:57 PM 11-08-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
"Yes I only keep certain kids. They are always the children of well behaved parents."
THIS!! looks like you dodged a misbehaved bullet with this one
spedmommy4 03:35 PM 11-08-2015
ROFL. I'm saving this one for later. :-)
Janiam 04:29 PM 11-08-2015
"I assumed you wouldn't leave your child with someone you haven't met".
Baby Beluga 07:40 AM 11-09-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Wednesday evening, hubby was delivering a load 40 miles from home. Once my DCG's left I had no kids until tomorrow afternoon (Monday), and an interview on Tuesday. So DD drove me up there and I got in the truck with him.

On Wednesday, a lady had messaged me on Facebook wanting a quote I got the hours and ages and such and gave her a quote. By the time I heard from her again Thursday I was in the truck with DH. She wanted to come meet with me right away, because she needed care to start Monday, because her "babysitter quit on her". I told her I couldn't promise to meet until Tuesday (I get to get a lovely root canal tomorrow, so that knocks Monday out for an interview as far as I am concerned, I won't be able to talk right), She keeps going on about it, so I told her "I am out of town with hubby since I didn't have any kiddos so I can't". She messages me again still saying she needs care tomorrow. I then told her that even if we had an interview, it did not mean I would offer a spot that I wouldn't know until we talk if my program would be a fit. So then she gets nasty and says "oh so you only keep certain kids then you should say that in your ad". I pretty much left it at that. But I thought it was pretty much industry standard that after the interview both parties made a decision. Am I wrong? Should that be staged in the ad? I guess I am confused because she was so upset about it.

But then we didn't even get to the part where I told her I would need the enrollment fee and tuition up front, that is where I normally loose people.
Around here people are absolutely astonished if you say this to them. I still do - but it has been met with some interesting responses. I do not state it in any of my advertising though, I just don't see the need for it.
Controlled Chaos 07:43 AM 11-09-2015
Originally Posted by Janiam:
"I assumed you wouldn't leave your child with someone you haven't met".

KiddieCahoots 07:50 AM 11-09-2015
Even good clients sometimes get stuck in a situation where they find they need child care at the last minute, but they're still respectful.
Thriftylady 09:12 AM 11-09-2015
I am going to put this in my book of responses lol.
284878 11:55 AM 11-09-2015
I had a conversation with my sister when I was opening. She felt as a parent that only the parent had was making a decision. She did not see the other side of the care. I explained to her the best way for her to understand, which is letting her know that I have to make sure that they families I let in my house and around my dd to be safe. When I put my dd well being in the picture she understood why I would turn some one down.

So I figure most parents do not see the providers side. Unlike other business that provide us service (phone, trash, housekeeping), we have one on one contact with our clients almost daily.
I have people that want to stop over during the day. I explain to them that I do not allow visit during the day. Some times I have to remind them, would they want strangers around their child while in my care.
nannyde 11:59 AM 11-09-2015
Originally Posted by 284878:
I had a conversation with my sister when I was opening. She felt as a parent that only the parent had was making a decision. She did not see the other side of the care. I explained to her the best way for her to understand, which is letting her know that I have to make sure that they families I let in my house and around my dd to be safe. When I put my dd well being in the picture she understood why I would turn some one down.

So I figure most parents do not see the providers side. Unlike other business that provide us service (phone, trash, housekeeping), we have one on one contact with our clients almost daily.
I have people that want to stop over during the day. I explain to them that I do not allow visit during the day. Some times I have to remind them, would they want strangers around their child while in my care.
If I'm going to sell my house, I can't call a realtor and TELL them they are going to sell it for me.

I don't get what they don't get.
Thriftylady 12:03 PM 11-09-2015
If I'm going to sell my house, I can't call a realtor and TELL them they are going to sell it for me.

I don't get what they don't get.
As always you managed to put it in a way I don't think many people see it in. I didn't even really see it that way myself but it is true. I do think people think it is like shopping though. I think they think "well I am giving you money for it, so I get it". But services are nothing like buying a candy bar.
Reply Up