Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Switch from a Crib to a Cot
spud912 02:25 PM 04-09-2011
I have a 2 1/2 year old in my daycare who sleeps in a portable crib and I would like to transition him to a cot, but the parents do not want me to do it until they switch him to his big boy bed at home (which they have not even purchased yet). I feel like he is more than ready and I wish I just did it without first telling the parents because now they don't want me to. Not only is he ready, but I think he may exceed the height and possibly the weight restrictions for the portable crib. Besides these two reasons, I do not have any other pressing reason as to why I want to (he has not tried climbing out yet). Any advice for how I can convince the parents to "let" me switch him sooner? It's almost become more of a matter of principle at this time because I feel like I should be able to decide on the sleeping arrangements in my home as long as they are safe. FYI: they do not want me to because they believe he will not want to sleep in his crib at home.
momofsix 02:30 PM 04-09-2011
My dck's switch to a nap mat long before they switch to a big bed at home. They have never had a problem. They know that daycare is daycare, and things are different than at home.
I would just tell them that he is over the height/weight restrictions for the p&p and switch him. They don't get to dictate what you do, especially if it's something unsafe!
daysofelijah 03:14 PM 04-09-2011
I had a 2.5 year old when I first started daycare and his parents wanted him in the portacrib. My licensor dropped by one time and saw him sleeping in there and said he was way too big to be in there. I just told the parents what my licensor said and moved him to a mat.

I always move them about 18 months now, long before they are out of the crib at home usually. Why don't his parents want him moved? I would just say he is getting too big for the height/weight requirements and you fell he would be safer on a mat now.
Abigail 07:22 PM 04-09-2011
You shouldn't have to feel that you need the parents to "let" you do things in your own business. Weigh him on your scale the next time he is in your care. Measure his height and write them both down. Look up online or in your papers the restrictions to see if you have solid proof that it is safety. I would go ahead and try a mat that day without mentioning it and at pick up just give them a note or tell them the sleeping arrangements have now changed because of safety regulations you are obligated to abide by.

They didn't sign a contract that stated your policy was to sleep this child only in a pnp, so don't worry about it.
squareone 05:45 AM 04-10-2011
I agree with pp that you should tell the parents that he is over the height and weight limit for the crib (if that is in fact the case). That is all the "reason" you need.
In the future, I would not ask "permission" from the parents to do things that are business related. If it relates personally to their child then yes, get their input on certain things but for things like sleeping arrangements, schedules, menus, etc. the parents don't get to decide, YOU do.
spud912 06:44 AM 04-10-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
In the future, I would not ask "permission" from the parents to do things that are business related. If it relates personally to their child then yes, get their input on certain things but for things like sleeping arrangements, schedules, menus, etc. the parents don't get to decide, YOU do.
That's the thing that irritates me! I did not ask for permission, I told them I was going to do it. Then they said they didn't want me to because they wanted to wait.

The reason they don't want me to do it is because they think he will not want to sleep in his crib at home.
MG&Lsmom 06:59 AM 04-10-2011
I have an a just over 2yo that transitioned really well to a nap mat here but still slept just fine in his crib at home. They did eventually try the toddler bed at home and now he's taken to sleeping with DCM or wandering at night. He's just not ready to be sleeping at night in a bed.

The other 2.5yo I have is still in a pnp because she will sleep no other way. She can climb in and out freely, and does to go to the bathroom mid-nap, but it's almost like she needs the enclosed space. Also another that would be up wandering causing mischief at night if not contained.

Both these kids are light for their ages at <30 lbs. If you really think he's unsafe and can handle sleeping on a cot, go for it and don't let the dcps dictate it.
E Daycare 07:28 PM 04-10-2011
I just started a fairly tall 2.5 yr old dcb and his mother offered to bring a pnp for him. I have my other 2 dcks in the pnp and a cot for any kid too big plus I supply everything so even if he fit in a pnp I have plenty here. One less thing for the parents to lug back and forth. Durr. If I put him in the largest pnp I have I know he wouldnt be able to stretch out. The mother also informed me he can climb out of the pnp too. I told her no I dont need her pnp and that I have a nice new cot for him.

He did wonderful on the cot the entire nap time. I figured if I started him off the bat I wouldnt have issues. Hes able to stretch out nicely and mom was surprised he did so well.
SandeeAR 12:08 PM 04-11-2011
my first kid was 18 mos. I never put her in a crib, however she was still in one at home. I put her straight into a toddler bed ( I don't use mats). She stayed in a crib at home until way over 2 years old. I never ask the parents. I just told them from the start, that was the plan.
daycare 12:17 PM 04-11-2011
I have a DCK that just turned 2 she weights 45lbs and is really tall. Her parents told me that they also don't want her on a nap mat yet because they are afraid she will want the same at home.

I told them that they didn't have a choice, that by law I can't have the DCG in the PNP any more. her weight makes it unsafe for her to be in it. I then told them I don't and won't get a crib, that she is going to transition to a mat and that I would let them know how she is progressing with it.

They just looked at me funny for a bit, but they understood that the PNP was no longer safe to use.
Unregistered 02:13 PM 11-14-2011
I am shocked that all of you agree that you do not need the parents permission to change their child's sleeping arrangements or routine! How could you even think that you have the right to make these decisions. As a working mom, I would expect my child care provider to ask my permission when changing things involving my child. How can you be angry that the parent won't let you do what you want? Give me a break...they are the parents. You should be ashamed of yourself for implying you know what's best for their child. If you were a good childcare provider and really felt that strongly about your ideas then talk to the parents and explain why you want to make the change, but don't insist that you are right and they are wrong. Try putting yourself in their position...they probably don't want to leave their child with someone during the day to begin with and when you take the little piece of control away from them, you are robbing them of their right to make decisions for their child.
Michael 09:08 PM 11-14-2011
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...+-+crib+to+cot
laundrymom 03:49 AM 11-15-2011
My home, my rules. I swap them ASAP. Cribs are to keep a child confined and safe during sleep so parents can sleep too. I am in SIGHT AND SOUND from drop off to pickup. I'm not going to wait until someone tells me how to run my business to make decisions. I make them for the group as a whole.
Cat Herder 04:00 AM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Try putting yourself in their position...they probably don't want to leave their child with someone during the day to begin with and when you take the little piece of control away from them, you are robbing them of their right to make decisions for their child.
I can't worry about the parents feeling a loss of control. They made the decision to place their child in daycare. They had full control over that. (I don't say that to be ugly, I have 3 kids myself.)

My job is to do what is in the best interest of the child. Portable cribs have a weight, height and age limit on them. I don't have standard, full sized, "Home use" cribs. I don't know of any daycare that does, they don't work as fire escape cribs.

I move the child to a mat at 12 months, it is not a parental choice, it is what is in my regulations for the BEST INTEREST OF THE CHILD.

Being moved to a cot was PART of having made the decision to place a child in daycare. It is KNOWN before enrollment.
mismatchedsocks 05:01 AM 11-15-2011
I move them to a cot at 12 months, if they are ready. I dont wait for the parents to be ready, because some 4 year olds would still be in a pack and play.

Its not that I am not listening to the parents, but things are different at daycare. We eat different food, actually follow a schedule, and dont allow them to walk around with sippy cups and blankets/binkys al day either. Not to be mean to the parents, buts its just the way it is at daycare.

If you want it your way on EVERYTHING then get a nanny!
Christian Mother 05:39 PM 11-15-2011
Transition him....if you feel he can do it...do it. One of my 2 yr old just moved to a big boy bed last week as soon as the parents told me guess what I did. Yup, moved him to a bed. I ashually have 4 bedrooms one for each child. This little guy is in my youngest daughters with one of those net things so they don't fall out. He did great the first day...today he cried a bit and woke up mid way between nap but went back to sleep and not once did he get up. I don't care if their up as long as they stay in bed and don't play.
Tags:cots, crib, transitioning - crib to cot
Reply Up