Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What do you think the chances are?
MommyMuffin 11:06 AM 06-01-2011
What do you think the chances are of getting a variance?

Total FT kids: 5 (includes my own)
Total FT and PT: 7 (includes my own)

I would need a variance from 12:30 to 5:00 Monday through friday for SEVEN months!!!

I am looking at Feb 2012 being the problem. I will have 3 preschool age and

17 month (12:30 - 5:00)
12 month (7 - 3:30 or 5)
7 month (own)
4 month (8 - 5:30)

I think it is a long shot that they will let me but one of the preschoolers is having a brother (the 4 month old in my scenerio) and I LOVE LOVE (the 17 month old I have).

I dont want to have to get rid of anyone.

I know licensing doesnt care about the economy but I cant afford to lose anyone. It is sooo hard to fill preschool spots in my neighborhood.

Also, I dont know of anyone who could help me until may.

What do think my chances are?
Blackcat31 11:14 AM 06-01-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
What do you think the chances are of getting a variance?

Total FT kids: 5 (includes my own)
Total FT and PT: 7 (includes my own)

I would need a variance from 12:30 to 5:00 Monday through friday for SEVEN months!!!

I am looking at Feb 2012 being the problem. I will have 3 preschool age and

17 month (12:30 - 5:00)
12 month (7 - 3:30 or 5) Could you have this child gone by 3:30 everyday? Because then you would be over from only 12:30-3:30 instead of all afternoon?7 month (own)
4 month (8 - 5:30)

I think it is a long shot that they will let me but one of the preschoolers is having a brother (the 4 month old in my scenerio) and I LOVE LOVE (the 17 month old I have). I've had the best luck with variances if Ii am asking to add a child from a current family. I think the licensors atleast understand that it is difficult for a family to find new care just because a sibling is born...kwim? I've also had good luck with explaining that the parent themselves are not wanting to find new care for the younger one and/or having to pull the older one.I dont want to have to get rid of anyone.

I know licensing doesnt care about the economy but I cant afford to lose anyone. It is sooo hard to fill preschool spots in my neighborhood.

Also, I dont know of anyone who could help me until may.
Could you maybe find a teenager (13 yrs or older) to be a helper? Having atleast a helper is advantageous vs just doing it yourself.What do think my chances are?

I myself, would call my licensor and explain the situation and then ask what things can you do to improve your chance of obtaining a variance or see if she has any suggestions for adding additional kids since you are only going outside the age guidelines and not the capacity limits.
Cat Herder 11:25 AM 06-01-2011
I once had to request a variance because twin newborns were born premature before the start date of school.... I had two leaving to K.

I needed a one month overlap.

It was approved...but I was not allowed to charge two of them. To be clear, I could have all eight kids here....but could only receive pay for 6.

Still not sure to whose benefit that really was. I had to take it though since the kids needs came first for me, ykwim?

Good luck!! Maybe they will offer you a better deal.
jojosmommy 11:29 AM 06-01-2011
I would wait and see what comes of the group you have now. Someone may drop, lose a job, or change schedules before then anyway.

In our county you can only get a variance for NO MORE THAN 3 MONTHS, no exceptions. We also have to provide answers to what we will do if we can not handle it, ie back up plan. If we can not provide that then we will not be granted one.

Also, do you have a technical school in your area that has a child development program? Sometimes people like that are willing to help out/volunteer just to get experience.

Do you think the parents in your care would be ok with you asking for one? That is a lot of little ones.
AnythingsPossible 12:34 PM 06-01-2011
I requested a variance for one month for this summer because of SA kids and teachers kids having to come back before school started. I was denied because of my space. She was ok with the amount of kids, but didn't feel I had suffeicient space since I am so close on square footage anyway and frankly the SA kids are bigger then the young ones. So, I have had to tweak my schedule for August and not watch the SA full time, but they are still going to come and find alternate for the days I can't.
I agree with a previous poster, have a plan ready for how you will handle situations with additional children. Going in prepared should hopefully benefit you.
daysofelijah 02:22 PM 06-01-2011
No more than 30 days for a variance here in MN. I got one for 2 months one time, but it was only for 2-3 days each week. Another time I had to let a family go because I needed one for 3 months and my licensor said no.
Blackcat31 02:54 PM 06-01-2011
I am in MN and have a variance right now that is good for 12 months. I have had them in the past for shorter amounts of time. The bottom of my variance request form asks if it is a renewal after 12 months or a new request. Rules for variances are through the state guidelines but approved by each licensor on an individual basis.

Some variances are granted on a continuous basis and are re-newed as needed. The period of time in which a variance or conditional license is valid for is decided on by the county licensor and the MN Department of Human Services commissioner. These rules and regulations can be found in sections 245A.06 and 245A.07. of DHS of Mn rules for family child care.

http://www.dhs.state.mn.us/main/idcp...Name=About_dhs
Reply Up