Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT-Keeping Hands Moisturized
Scout 06:15 PM 11-26-2012
How can I prevent my own & dck's hands from cracking & drying out this winter? My knuckles are already bleeding from all the washing! Currently, I put Vaseline on after my shower tonight but, if anyone has more ideas I'd be willing to try! thanks!
Hunni Bee 06:22 PM 11-26-2012
I want to know too! After art this afternoon, I couldn't tell which was glue peeling from my hands and which was my own skin!
DaycareMama 06:28 PM 11-26-2012
Mine do this really really bad too. My knuckles bleed and my skin comes off in chunks Sorry if that was to graphic

The only advice I have is make sure all the soap is off, dry hands really well (exspecially under your rings) and lotion after hand washing.

When my hands get really bad I sleep with Eucrine or Auquphore on my hands. I smother them and then cover them with rubber gloves for the night. Not fun but it really helps. To wash the "grease" off in the morning I have to use a little dawn soap and re lotion

hope this helps
sharlan 06:33 PM 11-26-2012
I really love all the GoldBond products.
Willow 06:59 PM 11-26-2012
Vaseline with gloves over top for a couple of hours before I go to sleep at night (don't want the ick in my hair or on my sheets and it helps seal the moisture in - I do the same thing with my feet), alternate Jergens cherry almond and aquaphor during the day after every time I wash my hands. I'd use the aquaphor all day but it gets to be too expensive and I am not a fan of the smell

Cracked dry hands piss me off more than anything in life....not sure what it is about it but I cannot stand when my hands get like that gardening either....it makes me turn like pms-y X1000....therefor I do what I can to spare my family and avoid it
LaLa1923 08:23 PM 11-26-2012
I second the gold bond! I used to work in nursing and its a must!! It feels wonderful and NOT greasy!!
Scout 04:18 AM 11-27-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I really love all the GoldBond products.
do they make lotions? I thought only powders.
LaLa1923 05:33 AM 11-27-2012
Yes! They make several! They have a repairing, moisturizing, and a few others
daycaremom76 05:38 AM 11-27-2012
Bath and Body Works makes great moisturizing soaps that I use. They can be expensive but they do have really good sales that you can stock up on and check online for a coupon! The kids love them too cause they smell good!
My3cents 06:35 AM 11-27-2012
Eucerine or Bag Balm

cover for a couple of hours with a bag or plastic gloves.

This helps a lot!!!
ABCDaycareMN 07:10 AM 11-27-2012
It's a cream called Glysolid it works wonders, usually in one application. You can order it online or its usually at beauty supply stores.
Lilbutterflie 07:45 AM 11-27-2012
I use Goldbond lotion ALL day long. I try to remember to use it after every hand wash.
Blackcat31 07:51 AM 11-27-2012
I also use the Gold Bond loations and Eurcerine. I have Eczema on my hands so dryness is only ONE part of the drying and cracking. My hands bleed and blister as well.

One thing my dermatologist taught me is the worst thing you (or anyone) can do to dry hands is use anything with fragrance or perfumes (alcohol) in them. Those two thing can do more damage than the cold dry air and frequent washing can do.

I also have done the deep moisturizing at night but was told to wear white cotton gloves. I do the same for my feet with white cotton socks over a heavy layer of moisturizing lotion.

When my hands get really super bad, I am prescibed a mixture of Eucerine and Triamcinolone Acetonide creams.

I also avoid citric acids and caffeine as they can make dry skin drier from the inside out.
Meeko 09:05 AM 11-27-2012
Gold Bond Ultra Healing Lotion and/or cream. Best I have ever tried....and I have tried them all.
familyschoolcare 07:33 AM 11-29-2012
Geasewood Ointment Natural it is a Medicice of the People Product can be ordered at http://medicineofthepeople.net/
valuedkids 07:44 AM 11-29-2012
Avon has a product called Silicone Glove. I know many who use this because it forms invisible gloves to protect your skin!!!! Also believe it or not, a coat of budreax's butt paste and soft cotton gloves at bed time healed hands tremendously... crazy I know but I have 2 staff that do that.
jojosmommy 10:39 AM 11-29-2012
Lansinoh nursing cream. Made to stay on no matter what, and since it has no extras like fragrance it doesnt dry you out like the alcohol full ones do.
Reply Up