Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sand Problems (hah)
NillaWafers 09:33 AM 02-24-2017
I put a sand pit in the backyard and now I am really regretting it! Haha. The sand is getting everywhere. My kids wear rain boots outside in the winter and spring cus it's so muddy, and it's just piling in their boots! Not to mention just on their person.

Do you guys have sand? How do you keep it OUTSIDE? The kids keep their boots outside, but they're in a hallway and it's definitely getting all over the hallway too.

Probably should have thought this through more, but they really do have so much fun with it!

Also on a side note, do you have shoes specifically for outside? I like the boots because they are easy to put on but hate how much dirt, sand, and wood chips they collect haha. For summer I am planning on them using strap on sandals or crocs, which will probably make their feet filthy but better than super dirty shoes inside.
daycarediva 09:43 AM 02-24-2017
I got rid of ALL sand bc of this. We have a big dirt pile, which oddly enough, is easier to manage.

I plan to invest in those muddy suits or something similar soon, strip them off in the entry, and hang the suits.

I love rain boots, the kids love using my boot scrubber and I love that I can hose them off.
Baby Beluga 09:45 AM 02-24-2017
I have a love/hate relationship with sand

I have sand in a sand and water table. This way they can still play and dig, but they have to be standing up to do it.

As for outside shoes - I don't allow shoes to be worn indoors. The children wear socks instead. Upon arrival each child removes their shoes and places them on our shoe tray. When we go outside, they pick up their shoes and carry them to the patio door, put shoes on and go outside. When we come in from outside they sit by the patio door remove their shoes and carry them to the tray in our classroom. This way floors stay semi clean.

I have everyone put their shoes on about 15 minutes prior to pick up time (contracted hours). If it's a super muddy day I rinse the soles off with a hose and let them dry outside so the mud isn't tracked in.
DaveA 09:50 AM 02-24-2017
We have a sandbox, but it's under the loft/ slide so it stays pretty dry. The last part of outdoor time is clean up, so what doesn't get shaken off then we dump in the sunroom (easy to sweep out).
Pestle 09:52 AM 02-24-2017
Rock box. Buy pea gravel when it goes on sale at your local home improvement store.
Attached: BB2 (1).JPG (1.81 MB) 
sharlan 09:56 AM 02-24-2017
I use large concrete mixing pans and have them on tables outside.
Jupadia 09:58 AM 02-24-2017
I have a small sand box that has a cover. Truefully I don't open it much and never in the winter. It fits 2 kids, 3 tops. I use it mostly with my kids on the weekend.
Mostly have the kids dig with the big trucks that dint realy fit in the sandbox anyways they now dig in the mulch that's around the playset. it's also way less mess.
NillaWafers 10:06 AM 02-24-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Rock box. Buy pea gravel when it goes on sale at your local home improvement store.
Yeah I mentioned this to hubby. He was worried about it getting hot but I think it's shaded enough. I really should have thought of this before!!
debbiedoeszip 11:03 AM 02-24-2017
I get tons of sand and grass in the playroom when it isn't winter. I keep one of those lightweight electric brooms handy and get it out a couple of times during the day.
Blackcat31 11:15 AM 02-24-2017
Is it dirt or actual sand?

Actual sand does not get anyone dirty and it easily brushes off. It doesn't make mud and dries almost instantaneously.

We have a HUGE sandbox (always have) and I've never had any issues with it. There is no "dirt" or problems with it being muddy or brought in on shoes or clothing....unless they fill their pocket with it...which some of mine have been known to do a time or two...

So curious as to what type/kind of sand you are referring to.
CityGarden 11:38 AM 02-24-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I worry about choking hazards with the pea gravel....
CityGarden 11:47 AM 02-24-2017
I take the kids to the park daily with tons of sand and grass. It is not hard to clean but I have stone floors and throw runs so regardless I vacuum daily.

I require children to arrive with closed toe shoes that do not slide on. (i.e. no crocs) for each day "due to safety" and I also request indoor slippers with the intention that inside would be shoe free... I like the idea of inside being "shoe free/slippers only" but it seems to be more work to put shoes on and off each time we come in and out that I may do away with the whole idea of inside being shoe free.

I like sand much better than wood chips so I would not suggest wood chips...
NillaWafers 11:50 AM 02-24-2017
I already have wood chips in my play area. It's been honestly pretty good. Sand is so annoying though!
CityGarden 12:56 PM 02-24-2017
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
I already have wood chips in my play area. It's been honestly pretty good. Sand is so annoying though!
LOL it is so funny how one person can hate one (sand/wood chips) more than the other.... I find that wood chips stick to clothing, don't wash out well and don't vacuum up. That said our sand does not create "mud" so it tends to fall off easily. Only if we are in the grass after rain / watering we don't have an issue with mud. I feel I have been having this conversation since my dd was a baby and we were visiting the park with other moms.
Gemma 08:49 AM 02-25-2017
I'm actually redoing my playground as we speak, and after going back and forth between sand and wood chips, thanks to all of your input, I can finally pick one.

...I choose wood chips!
I've already tested it (I allow digging under the slide) kids enjoy wood chips as much as sand, and I won't even have to put a top to the box (Licensing requires a cover for sand box) so, I've made my final decision....
Mom2Two 01:56 PM 02-25-2017
We have sand and I love it, because the kids play in it so long. When we had one of the plastic ones from KidRUs, I had the kids take their boots off before going in it, but now we have a bigger one and I dont' require that.

I have the kids take their rain boots off as they go back inside. I have a big rubbermaid-type box where the boots get stored just outside the back door. I also have them take off their socks since, yes, they always seem to get dirt in those boots. I ask parents to always provide clean socks, and I have back ups in case.

In the Summer, when they wear water shoes and no socks, I have a bowl of water that I dip their feet into and I have rags for them to stand on and dry their feet. I have a little stool by the back door that I sit on to supervise.

It probably sounds like a lot of trouble, but the kids learn the routine and it's worth it for how much fun they have.

One rule I do have is that they can't do water AND sand on the same day. If they play in the sprinkler or whatever, they may not also play in the sand that day or they end up looking like Moana when she lands on Maui's island.
284878 06:52 PM 02-25-2017
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
I worry about choking hazards with the pea gravel....
This worries me too. My autistic niece use to put handfuls of pea stone at a time in her mouth. (She would also put a strawberry-size rock on in her mouth.) She never choked because we always stopped her.
Unregistered 01:44 AM 02-28-2017
I have sand in a sand table outside-not in a sandbox. I like to wet it for added fun.
Tags:outdoors, sand, sandbox
Reply Up