Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>1 Yr old DCB Sleeping
lovemykidstoo 04:38 AM 05-07-2019
I have a dcb that just turned 1 year. I've posted before about him and how I have been concerned about him. He has never slept all night, parents would drive him around town in the middle of the night to get him to sleep and then let him sleep in his carseat the rest of the night, parents want to give him almond milk vs whole milk etc. Anyway they have told me that he's been sleeping just fine for awhile now, but my concern is, when he comes in the morning, he's happy for about an hour and then he's a screamer. I put him down he sleeps for about 1 1/2 hours. I wake him because I want him to go down with the others later. He plays and then eats for a bit and then is exhausted by 12:30, so I put him back down. typically he goes down at 12:30 and then he's still sleeping at 4:00/4:30 when dad comes. I have to wake him up again. Is that normal to want to sleep that much? I asked dad yesterday how he slept the night before because I was concerned about him and he said rather crabby, I don't know, I had other stuff to worry about, I don't pay attention to that kind of stuff. You know worry about getting the garbage out etc. I said, oh ok, have a good night. I was done with that ignorant conversation. Mom had told me that he slept fine but was up at 4:30, but alot of times the stories don't match so I was wondering what he said. Not that I care what goes on at home, but I am worried about him.
rosieteddy 05:30 AM 05-07-2019
There really is not a lot you can do about home.Ipersonally stopped asking after awhile.Often parents do not tell the truth anyway.Do what works for you and your program.If it works for a morning nap and you can still run your program go for it.I always had to wake them to go out by 9:30.Or snack time.My program was including all food unless the child had a true allergy.I only accepted Drs proof of allergy.Otherwise everyone ate and drank what I provided.I also would wake him in time for afternoon snack and outdoor play .Iwould not wait until pick-up.
lovemykidstoo 05:36 AM 05-07-2019
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
There really is not a lot you can do about home.Ipersonally stopped asking after awhile.Often parents do not tell the truth anyway.Do what works for you and your program.If it works for a morning nap and you can still run your program go for it.I always had to wake them to go out by 9:30.Or snack time.My program was including all food unless the child had a true allergy.I only accepted Drs proof of allergy.Otherwise everyone ate and drank what I provided.I also would wake him in time for afternoon snack and outdoor play .Iwould not wait until pick-up.
I was trying hard to get away from the morning nap, because summer is coming and we want to go outside. He's regressing. He's been needing a longer morning nap lately and if he doesn't get it he screams. I mean screams. When he gets up, he's good for about an hour and then he's the biggest fusser/screamer I have had in 18 years at this age. So when he goes down for afternoon nap, I let that boy sleep because he is just not happy. By the time the kids get up, bathroom, snack, craft time, it's time for pickup, so it doesn't hurt my feelings that he sleeps at that time. Mom said today that he slept from 8 to 5 today. No way he should need 5 hours of sleep here today.
rosieteddy 07:40 AM 05-07-2019
I often wanted to get out in am.I would put youngest under 2yrs in double stroller .We walked around block ,then if he fellasleep in stroller I left him in it while the other kids played for awhile.That took the edge off and we still had afternoon nap.
LostMyMarbles 08:54 AM 05-07-2019
Sleep issues with infants suck. I think we have all had an infant we have had to work with getting into a better schedule. I have said it before. Some of you class it up by saying parents don’t tell the truth. They flat out lie! We are then trying to figure out why these kids don’t sleep or sleep to much.

I envy you right now. I have the king of the 30 minute naps. I think you have the lesser of the two evils. You are doing you best. Keep your chin up and keep tweaking nap/schedule till it works.
Ariana 10:29 AM 05-07-2019
He is exhausted and is not sleeping at night. Driving around at this age is not good quality sleep and neither is sleeping in a carseat.

He is basically playing catchup at your house and they are doing whatever at home because they don’t deal with him during the day. Waking at 5am is a classic sign of being overtired.

I would let them know that they need to sleep train him in a crib or you will be terminating care as he is not able to participate (that is if you are not happy with the amount he sleeps at your house). I always recommend the book The Sleep Easy Solution.
lovemykidstoo 01:06 PM 05-07-2019
I should add, that they don't drive him around anymore. That stopped about a month ago. I find it hard to believe that a month ago he was getting up several times a night, driving around in the middle of the night, sleeping in carseats and now he's sleeping 9 hours straight. If he is and still needs 5 1/2 hours sleep here during the day, he may have an issue.
Tags:1 year old, trouble - sleeping, won't sleep
Reply Up