Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>School-Agers and Technology
springv 01:19 PM 09-05-2019
What type of policy do you have regarding school agers and cell phones? Do you allow them or do you tell put them up? Employees are not allowed to have their cell phones out while the children are awake but what about the kids? I know when o in school, we couldn't have them out or on.
Blackcat31 01:22 PM 09-05-2019
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
What type of policy do you have regarding school agers and cell phones? Do you allow them or do you tell put them up? Employees are not allowed to have their cell phones out while the children are awake but what about the kids? I know when o in school, we couldn't have them out or on.
I don't take school agers at all but I don't allow cell phones in my building and that goes for parents too.

They leave their phones in their vehicles as far as I know.
springv 04:30 PM 09-05-2019
The reason I asked is because we have a child that's 11 that has a phone and when he came in I told him to put his phone away and he told me that he needed to text his mother we which I understand but I then told him that he could do that but that he needed to put it away afterwards because they weren't allowed. But in the summer, the administrator allows them to bring their tablets and other electronics to use during nap ��
Second Home 06:13 AM 09-06-2019
Our regulations state no more than 30 minutes per week of screen time for children over 2 , zero screen time for children under 2.

I'm not taking any more school aged kids but when I did have a few I had a problem with them wanting to take pictures and videos of the other kids.
Cat Herder 06:16 AM 09-06-2019
My regs are the same as above. I do keep kids until age 6, but do not allow anything that connects to the internet, including phones.

It is simply a safety risk I choose not to manage.
Blackcat31 07:14 AM 09-06-2019
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
The reason I asked is because we have a child that's 11 that has a phone and when he came in I told him to put his phone away and he told me that he needed to text his mother we which I understand but I then told him that he could do that but that he needed to put it away afterwards because they weren't allowed. But in the summer, the administrator allows them to bring their tablets and other electronics to use during nap ��
If the administrator allows them to have the phones, there isn't much you can do but as far as the 11 yr old texting, why does he need to text her?

If he is young enough to require child care services then I would assume the child care would call her if he didn't show up or needed her for whatever reason.

Needing to text her is not necessary.
knoxmomof2 07:38 AM 09-06-2019
I keep 5 and under, but I wouldn't want the responsibility for an expensive piece of equipment or the possibility of a child taking pictures or recording others.
gonecrazy 10:30 AM 09-06-2019
In the past I have allowed them to bring them with the understanding that I am NOT responsible for the item should something happen to it. I insist that they keep them up away from the little ones. They are not allowed to use the internet while here (mine has a pass code and they are not allowed to have it). I limit the amount of time they are allowed on them also. And if they fuss over them they are taken away and not given back until a parent gets here. I also have a rule of no picture taking or recording with them and I have full access to them and will delete anything like that. In the future I plan to make it a rule that they are not allowed though as I had a lot of fussing over them with my last family.
LittleExplorers 10:38 AM 09-06-2019
They are not allowed in my care. I don't take school agers but had a parent ask if her 4 year old could have his iPad during nap because he doesn't nap as long any more. That was a hard no, but I was happy to allow books to look at.
springv 03:03 PM 09-06-2019
I agree with you @blackcat31, our license states that we take children from 6 weeks until 13 years of age because we had 2 children that were school age that had autism and needed care after school but our policies state that we take children until 6th grade and I asked the administrator why we don't change our license to reflect our policies and her response was that because the owners did not want to pay to get it changed
Tags:internet safety, policies - school aged, school age policies
Reply Up