Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Looking For Advice From The UK
Baby's Days 03:17 PM 04-13-2011
I posted this in another forum on here but have not had a response so that either means, you haven't seen it or you don't want to reply, so I thought I would try in here just in case you haven't seen it

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I am going to be open, honest and upfront with everyone before I start..... I own a business in the UK which sells subscriptions to software packages for UK Childminders, I think you call Childminders in the US - Daycare providers, basically they work from home and look after children, am I right there?

I am also NOT trying to sell you anything, I am looking for feedback and some advice, the system we have will currently not work for you in the USA.

If you want to see what it is please visit: Baby's Days

The software that we provide in the UK enables these Daycare providers the ability to monitor the children's development through the UK's curriculum which is called the EYFS - Early Years Foundation stage.

In addition the software allows them to upload photographs, add policies and procedures, complete daily diaries, send newsletters and so much more, this system is completely unique in the UK and we have seen tremendous growth in the last year, we found was that there were plenty of system for larger nurseries costing hundred's maybe even thousands of $'s but nothing for the smaller day care settings.

The system is on-line based and the parents of the children can connect to the system securely at any time and see their children's development, photographs, diaries and much more, the system is completely secure and recommended by various government bodies in the UK.

The system costs around $13 a month and provides each user with a unique personal system of their own.

OK, so why am I posting on here... a couple of reasons really, I was wondering if you could advise if there is anything available like this in the USA, if so could you please provide me with the links to the system, if there isn't, do you think there is a need/requirement for a system like this?

My second questions is, the USA is a big country, about 50 times bigger than the UK, so who regulates the daycare providers in the USA, is this done per state or on a country wide basis?

What does each day care provider have to do, are there set regulations they must follow and do they have to track the children's development in any way, also are they inspected every few years to make sure they are doing things correctly, in the UK, each provider is assessed every 3 years and given a grading, does this happen in the USA.

I thank you all for your time and your comments
daycare 04:44 PM 04-13-2011
I think that it is hard for us to understand what you are asking...

Most of the people here are in-home daycare providers. Each state has different rules. SOme more strict than others.

I live in california, I dont have to assess children or even teach children. I am basically only to watch them. However, I do choose to teach the children. It is not monitored by the state or anyone other than me. I can only watch up to 8 kids max per day.

I am however required to be licensed to watch more than one child from a different family. I also have to have to meet certain requirments and an inspection before I can get approved for a license.

I do know that in some states in the US you don't even have to have a license.

where in the UK? Ireland?

Maybe you are talking about preschool, where there are several staff, teachers and children. They have completely different rules that In-home daycares.

There is a program that we use here called Minute menu express. You can look it up online.

It is a great program and it does some stuff similar to what are describing... hope this helps some

good luck
jen2651 05:20 PM 04-13-2011
i will try my best to answer your questions but agree with the last poster that it will be rather difficult for you to gather the answer that you are looking for.

I am located in MN and am licensed by MN. I am not required to monitor any developmental milestones nor record them anywhere. I do however note differences in children and if I noticed a child hugely lagging I would suggest to the parents they visit with their dr. about it. This however hasn't happened to me yet.

The Minute menu is the closest thing I can think that we would have.

I truly think that you should look at each state as an individual 'country' as the rules are so different from one to the other. Also, there are different rules about needing to be licensed or not in each state.
nannyde 06:06 PM 04-13-2011
are there set regulations they must follow and do they have to track the children's development in any way

My daycare parents track their own child's development. They do this with their Pediatrician.

I would DO assessments of the kids monthly if I could get the thirteen dollars per month but it would be money I would want to keep. That would be a hundred bucks a month of extra money. I wouldn't do the work to track it and pay someone else for the program to do it.

I think that's the problem you will run into. If we could be trained or came educated to do this WE would want the thirteen dollars for ourselves.

My parents would rather keep the thirteen dollars and just do it themselves or have their health insurance pay for it with their docs.
Baby's Days 06:13 PM 04-13-2011
Thank you for that feedback, I really appreciate it, that system only seems to allow you to manage food and taxes, it seems to do little else.

Our system has been designed for children from birth to 5 years of age and everything you see on the system is a requirement for home based childcare from 1 to 10 children.

Do you have to do any of the following in your homes whilst looking after children:

1. Create daily diaries - what the child did, what they ate, what they learnt, photographs of the child during the day etc? How do you provide this to the parent, do you just write it out or type it out and print it?

2. Policies - Do parents have to sign and agree to a selection of your Policies, ie play policy, trampoline policy, skipping rope policy, first aid policy etc, do you have to show these as being signed to anyone who may check up on you?

3. Permissions - Do parents have to sign and agree to your permissions, ie things they give you permission to do with/to their child, ie: apply sun cream, provide medication etc

4. Invoices - How do you invoice the parents, do you type something out and give it to them or do you just tell them how much they owe?

5. Photographs - How do you share these with the parents, print them off or just not bother?

6. Register - Do you have to keep track of a register detailing which child was in your care each day of the week, how do you do this, on paper or do you not have to?

7. Planning - How do you plan your activities with the children, or do you not have to? Do you have to have a varied planning schedule or can you plan whatever you like?

8. Individual Learning - How do you track your individual learning with the children to ensure they are at the correct developmental level or do you not have to?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to gauge if our system can be modified to help you in your home base childcare settings, if it can them we will modify and then let you try it out to see if it could assist you to enhance your child care facility.

Thanks again for your help
Baby's Days 06:22 PM 04-13-2011
Nannyde thanks for your feedback, the system in the UK costs $13 a month for unlimited children and unlimited parents to access it, so if you have 1 or 100 children or 2 or 200 parents the price is still $13.

If you currently print out photos and give these to parents, it probably costs you more than $13 a month in ink and print, this system allows you to upload unlimited photographs for each child, each parent can then connect to the system, view and print the photos and even leave messages for you to read.

The system doesn't just track children's development levels it does a lot more, it took over a year to design and development and is hugely beneficial across the UK, this is why we feel it could also work in the USA.

Parents can access the system and view their children's progress, development, diaries, photographs, policies, permissions, newsletters, messages and more.

The system is designed to remove all the paperwork and place it onto a quick, fast and easy to use system, but it seems that you don't have to do as much as the day care facilities in the UK do, therefore, we can remove a lot of features, modify some to suit you and then reduce the price

We will be in the USA in the next couple of weeks to talk to various child care facilities so that we can see what changes would need to be made, if we do launch the system into the USA then it will be developed to suit the USA market.

Thanks again for the feedback
Meeko 06:35 PM 04-13-2011
Originally Posted by Baby's Days:
I posted this in another forum on here but have not had a response so that either means, you haven't seen it or you don't want to reply, so I thought I would try in here just in case you haven't seen it

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I am going to be open, honest and upfront with everyone before I start..... I own a business in the UK which sells subscriptions to software packages for UK Childminders, I think you call Childminders in the US - Daycare providers, basically they work from home and look after children, am I right there?

I am also NOT trying to sell you anything, I am looking for feedback and some advice, the system we have will currently not work for you in the USA.

If you want to see what it is please visit: Baby's Days

The software that we provide in the UK enables these Daycare providers the ability to monitor the children's development through the UK's curriculum which is called the EYFS - Early Years Foundation stage.

In addition the software allows them to upload photographs, add policies and procedures, complete daily diaries, send newsletters and so much more, this system is completely unique in the UK and we have seen tremendous growth in the last year, we found was that there were plenty of system for larger nurseries costing hundred's maybe even thousands of $'s but nothing for the smaller day care settings.

The system is on-line based and the parents of the children can connect to the system securely at any time and see their children's development, photographs, diaries and much more, the system is completely secure and recommended by various government bodies in the UK.

The system costs around $13 a month and provides each user with a unique personal system of their own.

OK, so why am I posting on here... a couple of reasons really, I was wondering if you could advise if there is anything available like this in the USA, if so could you please provide me with the links to the system, if there isn't, do you think there is a need/requirement for a system like this?

My second questions is, the USA is a big country, about 50 times bigger than the UK, so who regulates the daycare providers in the USA, is this done per state or on a country wide basis?

What does each day care provider have to do, are there set regulations they must follow and do they have to track the children's development in any way, also are they inspected every few years to make sure they are doing things correctly, in the UK, each provider is assessed every 3 years and given a grading, does this happen in the USA.

I thank you all for your time and your comments
Every THREE years huh?! We get an annual announced inspection and one un-announced annual inspection from the state and 3-4 inspections per year from the food program!! 20 hours of ongoing training are required each year with 10 of that being face to face. Ten hours can be reading etc, but must be logged and approved.

Many of us use Minute menu here, which is free to most of us on the USDA food program, so I am not sure if you would have a market for your product, but it does sound nice!

I am a transplanted brit here in the USA. But I have only ever done child care here. interesting to here how things are back home!
Take care!
Baby's Days 06:46 PM 04-13-2011
Hi Meeko

Thanks for your post, I will definitely research more about the food program and we can incorporate that into the system, then you have what you need plus a lot more

The system is used to get parents to digitally sign their acceptance of Policies and Procedures online so you don't have to chase them all the time to bring them back and sign them, this is the same for permissions as well.

We are also incorporating contracts onto the system so they digitally sign those also, the purpose of the system is to make your life easier and so that you also do not have paperwork in the house, and of course it saves money on printing costs :-)
nannyde 01:51 AM 04-14-2011
Do you have to do any of the following in your homes whilst looking after children:

1. Create daily diaries - what the child did, what they ate, what they learnt, photographs of the child during the day etc?

No diaries. Pictures we take go onto our website.
How do you provide this to the parent, do you just write it out or type it out and print it?

Parents check website

2. Policies - Do parents have to sign and agree to a selection of your Policies, ie play policy, trampoline policy, skipping rope policy, first aid policy etc, do you have to show these as being signed to anyone who may check up on you?

They sign them before entering the daycare. It's done during enrollment.

3. Permissions - Do parents have to sign and agree to your permissions, ie things they give you permission to do with/to their child, ie: apply sun cream, provide medication etc

They sign them before entering the daycare. It's done during enrollment.

4. Invoices - How do you invoice the parents, do you type something out and give it to them or do you just tell them how much they owe?

Same amount weekly. NO invoices just Friday morning payment and a tax receipt at end of year.

5. Photographs - How do you share these with the parents, print them off or just not bother?

No printing. They can print from website.

6. Register - Do you have to keep track of a register detailing which child was in your care each day of the week, how do you do this, on paper or do you not have to?

Attendance is done for the Food Program and used as the legal attendance.

7. Planning - How do you plan your activities with the children, or do you not have to?

We don't plan anything. The kids entertain themeselves and each other.

Do you have to have a varied planning schedule or can you plan whatever you like?

The kids entertain each other.

8. Individual Learning - How do you track your individual learning with the children to ensure they are at the correct developmental level or do you not have to?

We don't assess that. We aren't required to do individual learning or check/correct learning/development.
melskids 02:40 AM 04-14-2011
1. Create daily diaries - what the child did, what they ate, what they learnt, photographs of the child during the day etc? How do you provide this to the parent, do you just write it out or type it out and print it?

i use facebook, my website, and a blog....all free

i do have seperate permission slips for various things that do need to be kept in a file for licensing to have access to.

same as above question

weekly, they just write a check...they know the amount owed. at the end of the year i type up an invoice for their tax purposes

again...facebook, website, and blog

on paper, as required by the state

7. Planning - How do you plan your activities with the children, or do you not have to? Do you have to have a varied planning schedule or can you plan whatever you like?

the state does not require a specific curriculum, as of now. however, my program is play based, and curriculum is planned around the childrens interests. there is not much pre-planning involved, as their interests change from day to day.

we dont have to, as of now. they are working on changing some of the requirements. occasionally i will reference developmental charts if i think there is an issue, and then talk to the parents about my concerns. it is up to them to follow through with their doctor.
ninosqueridos 05:30 AM 04-14-2011

I handwrite reports for the kids everyday - it's quite personalized and more than what other providers do, but I enjoy it and it works for me.

Parents fill out enrollment forms which include signing off on my policies/handbook. In my state, I don't have to - I choose to.

Parents do sign permission forms for some things - that is done when they enroll. In my state, I don't have to - I choose to.

My families pay the same amount each week and do not require invoices. Payment is due every Friday (my choice) and that doesn't change.

I take pictures of the kids throughout the year - I rarely share them with the parents throughout the year (if I do, it is via email). I take the pictures and make a photo book for each family which I give to them for Christmas each year. I do not print pictures.

I do not have to do this. I do need to have the child's physical form and immunization records up to date in case the state comes for an unannounced inspection.

The state likes to see you have some type of schedule of activities with the kids, but it doesn't need to be anything "formal" or preschool-like. We could pretty much do what we want.

I am not required to "track development" or learning for the children. If I have some major concern about the child, I can discuss that with the parent - but I do not have to.
Baby's Days 06:02 AM 04-14-2011
That's great feedback, thank you very much and it has certainly helped me a great deal, have a great day everyone
Tags:software
Reply Up