Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Napping for New 14 Month Old!
Unregistered 10:05 AM 11-08-2016
I started a PT 14 month old at the end of October. Mom told me at the interview that she never falls asleep on her own. I told her that we would work on that here and that they would need to start working at that at home as well. Mom says that at home, once she is asleep and laid down, she stays asleep for about 2 hours. The first couple of days, when I saw that she was getting tired, I would pick her up and sit with her. She would fall asleep within 5 minutes and then I would transfer her to a PNP. She slept only for about 20-30 minutes. Last week, she didn't nap at all. Every time she would fall asleep and I would transfer her, she immediately woke up and screamed at a high pitch until I went back to get her. I have tried several times laying her down awake, only to listen to high pitched continuous screaming until I went back in to get her. This morning she fell asleep in my arms and when I got up and started walking to the bedroom, her eyes popped open. I laid her down anyway and she has been screaming since. I usually let her cry for about 20 minutes at a time. The crying does not subside at all during that time. This is only her third week here,so I don't want to give up on her yet. My big question is, how long would you deal with a child of this age refusing nap all day when they clearly need it, before considering terminating? I have a newborn starting in three weeks and am not sure how this will work if there is no progress by then.
Blackcat31 10:10 AM 11-08-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I started a PT 14 month old at the end of October. Mom told me at the interview that she never falls asleep on her own. I told her that we would work on that here and that they would need to start working at that at home as well. Mom says that at home, once she is asleep and laid down, she stays asleep for about 2 hours. The first couple of days, when I saw that she was getting tired, I would pick her up and sit with her. She would fall asleep within 5 minutes and then I would transfer her to a PNP. She slept only for about 20-30 minutes. Last week, she didn't nap at all. Every time she would fall asleep and I would transfer her, she immediately woke up and screamed at a high pitch until I went back to get her. I have tried several times laying her down awake, only to listen to high pitched continuous screaming until I went back in to get her. This morning she fell asleep in my arms and when I got up and started walking to the bedroom, her eyes popped open. I laid her down anyway and she has been screaming since. I usually let her cry for about 20 minutes at a time. The crying does not subside at all during that time. This is only her third week here,so I don't want to give up on her yet. My big question is, how long would you deal with a child of this age refusing nap all day when they clearly need it, before considering terminating? I have a newborn starting in three weeks and am not sure how this will work if there is no progress by then.
How long before terminating? I would never have enrolled a part time child with sleep issues in the first place.

Its way to hard to train them to your routine when they are part time and t that age if they don't already have a good sleep routine, they probably aren't going to.

I'd let them go and enjoy a few weeks of calm before the baby starts.
Nurse Jackie 10:20 AM 11-08-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
How long before terminating? I would never have enrolled a part time child with sleep issues in the first place.

Its way to hard to train them to your routine when they are part time and t that age if they don't already have a good sleep routine, they probably aren't going to.

I'd let them go and enjoy a few weeks of calm before the baby starts.
I second this!
Unregistered 01:29 PM 11-10-2016
So, I termed about a half hour ago. In my 12 years of providing care I have never even considered, let alone had to term a family. The DCG was such a sweet and happy child...... until she would get tired! It finally got to a point today where I had to stop and say to myself, "This is not going to ever get better". Most the children I have had in my care have started as infants and that is definitely, for me, the best way to go. I have learned a good lesson today. 😄 Thanks for helping me see this was the best way to go for all of us involved!
Blackcat31 01:30 PM 11-10-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
So, I termed about a half hour ago. In my 12 years of providing care I have never even considered, let alone had to term a family. The DCG was such a sweet and happy child...... until she would get tired! It finally got to a point today where I had to stop and say to myself, "This is not going to ever get better". Most the children I have had in my care have started as infants and that is definitely, for me, the best way to go. I have learned a good lesson today. 😄 Thanks for helping me see this was the best way to go for all of us involved!
I'm sorry you had to term but happy that you recognized not only your own limits but what was in the best interest of the child as well!

Nice job!
Ariana 05:46 PM 11-10-2016
I do part time kids and sometimes kids are not a good fit. After 3 weeks this kid is never going to adapt. When a kid is with you less than the parents it really falls to the parents to sleep train the child. They need to come to you ready and able to sleep without assitance. I only sleep train kids who nap here each and every day.
Reply Up