Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>18 Month Old With Anger Issues?
Unregistered 12:35 PM 02-27-2017
I have an 18m DCB who seems to have anger issues... whenever hes mad at a toy because its not doing what he wants in to do..he goes to the child closest to him and throws them down or tackles them in a violent way. He one time pushed another child into the wall so hard that she hit her eye and her eyebrow swelled up! He also acts like this if he doesbt get his way/ i tell him no, or if another child has what he wants. Ive never seen a child this youbg so violent. Im not even sure how to talk to his mom about it. Hes an only child so im sure theyve never seen this behavior. How would you address/fix this?
Pestle 12:48 PM 02-27-2017
Is he verbal? Lagging communication skills can increase frustration and lead to explosions of anger.

I used this book to examine and come up with some possible causes and solutions when I had a child the same age who was aggressive. It helped, until I had to close temporarily and he was spending more time with his parents. After that, the aggression became unmanageable.
Leigh 02:20 PM 02-27-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have an 18m DCB who seems to have anger issues... whenever hes mad at a toy because its not doing what he wants in to do..he goes to the child closest to him and throws them down or tackles them in a violent way. He one time pushed another child into the wall so hard that she hit her eye and her eyebrow swelled up! He also acts like this if he doesbt get his way/ i tell him no, or if another child has what he wants. Ive never seen a child this youbg so violent. Im not even sure how to talk to his mom about it. Hes an only child so im sure theyve never seen this behavior. How would you address/fix this?
Is he still getting 2 naps a day? That age is tough, because it's when they start to outgrow their morning nap. If he's having a hard day, I'd give him a short morning nap and see if that helps. I have a 2.5 year old who still asks for a morning nap some days.
Blackcat31 02:33 PM 02-27-2017
I agree with previous posters. I've found the most common root of all unwanted or negative behaviors in young children is lack of quality sleep.

It's amazing what a change can be seen in a small child when they are given the opportunity to rest well (without TV or electronics etc...)
Unregistered 02:45 PM 02-27-2017
He hasnt had a morning nap since 12 months. He sleeps 2 hrs in the afternoon. I let them wake up on their own.
debbiedoeszip 10:17 AM 03-01-2017
I'd have him play a little away from the other children and/or keep him within arms reach of an adult. And I'm with the other posters who suggest more sleep. It's very early to give up morning nap at 12 months. It sounds like he has a very low tolerance for frustration. He needs to be taught what isn't acceptable and to be rested enough to not fly off the handle.
Unregistered 10:35 AM 03-01-2017
If he has a morning nap, he wont sleep in the afternoon. And part of the reason he stopped morning nap, is because he never would sleep. He would just cry. I think the problem is that he is hungry. Mom brings his food from home because she wants him to eat only what she supplys. I asked her to bring more food and see if that helps.
Tags:behavior - effecting others, napping routines, violent behaviour
Reply Up