Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Breaking Hubby In... Any Videos/Articles?
Nebula 02:10 PM 09-10-2013
So I go to school full time, on Tues and Thursday mornings and so far hubby has excelled and been great filling in for me, until today. I came home and the kids had destroyed the place, the cat was cowering in fear, and 2 dishes and a door knob were broken, after 2 hours. Something has to give.

He is willing to learn, and I know he doesn't have the experience yet- are there any quality, free online videos about CHild Guidance, Making Kids Mind, etc?? His problem is, he will say no- and if they don't listen the first time, he gets frustrated and gives up- so what you have is an out of control 2 or 3 year old who runs the roost............ When I am here, the kids mind me (I make kids cry alot lol) but ....... He needs help with being more authoritative, and just activities etc.
preschoolteacher 06:02 PM 09-10-2013
I don't know how well you can learn except through experience! Can he help you and learn from how you do things instead of just filling in when you're gone?
momofsix 06:15 PM 09-10-2013
yup, this

When you are home, put your husband in charge. Let the kids know he is in charge. Then let him be in charge. You are right there in the room-even to the point of "coaching" him with the exact words to say-yet leaving him to actually be the one in charge with the kids. (kind of like how super nanny does when she's showing the parents on her show how to be in charge of their kids)
cheerfuldom 06:17 PM 09-10-2013
Make sure his portion of the day is structured activities with the kids seated OR outside play time. No free play in the house, that will probably be too much for him.
Cat Herder 06:17 PM 09-10-2013
IMHO, Today was simply his first real day. He will take what he can from them until he has had enough.... then he will ENFORCE the NO naturally. Just like the rest of us.

The first few times he filled in the kids were not sure that he would not hang them up by the toes, so to speak... after a bit they learned he is harmless and even a bit of a pushover.

Now he has to show them just how far he can be pushed... Once he figures that out of course. Learning the escalation patterns of particular kids takes some time, attention to detail and finesse. He will get there.

Word of warning: Don't micromanage him too much or he may figure out that if he messes up bad enough... he will never have to cover for you again...

Men are problem solvers... he just may not solve it the way you'd hope. Getting the kids to behave OR getting you to stop asking; either way, problem solved for him.
Nebula 06:49 PM 09-10-2013
Thanks for the encouragement........ I did coach him today, one of our notririously button pusher DKBs (literally a button pusher- keeps hitting the buttons on the TV/DVD Player and has now somehow depgorammed my Satelite....... had to go do a 2 minute time out. It literally took, me coaching hubby and for 1.5 hours he fought to get the kid to sit for 2 minutes. I used Super Nanny's technique-- worked great..... So he will get there!
Brooksie 06:41 AM 09-11-2013
Tell him to watch the first season of SuperNanny.
Nebula 06:43 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
Hehe yep it's qued up in Netflix for him!
Cat Herder 07:19 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
Or the South Park episode with SuperNanny and Cesar Millan....
Reply Up