Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Reggio / Waldorf / Forest Kindergarten / Granola / Natural - Learning Methods>Toys for 12 - 18 Months
childcaremom 02:20 AM 05-01-2015
What does everyone have for toys in this age group. (The youngest age I accept is 10 months but gear this area for 12-18 as I rarely end up with super young ones)

I currently have:
wooden blocks (different shapes and sizes)
tree branch blocks
wooden animals
wooden vehicles
play silks
wool babies
small wool items (I don't know how to describe them w/o coffee in me, bunting dolls I guess? Sized to fit in their hand)
wooden ring stacker
wooden cup stacker
wooden house stacker
books
pocket wall hangings

I do have some little people items but am hoping to ditch these and replace with something else.

What does your room have?
Blackcat31 07:23 AM 05-01-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
What does everyone have for toys in this age group. (The youngest age I accept is 10 months but gear this area for 12-18 as I rarely end up with super young ones)

I currently have:
wooden blocks (different shapes and sizes)
tree branch blocks
wooden animals
wooden vehicles
play silks
wool babies
small wool items (I don't know how to describe them w/o coffee in me, bunting dolls I guess? Sized to fit in their hand)
wooden ring stacker
wooden cup stacker
wooden house stacker
books
pocket wall hangings

I do have some little people items but am hoping to ditch these and replace with something else.

What does your room have?
I have pretty much everything you described too but I also have a large floor mirror (they LOVE looking at themselves) a toddler table and chairs and a climber.
Josiegirl 04:27 AM 05-02-2015
How I wish I could redo my whole playroom to include these kinds of things instead of plastic. I've got some of these items but not nearly enough.
What about musical instruments?
childcaremom 04:53 AM 05-02-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
How I wish I could redo my whole playroom to include these kinds of things instead of plastic. I've got some of these items but not nearly enough.
What about musical instruments?
I went a little overboard when I first started out. Spent tons of $$$. But I also made a lot of the stuff that we have. I sort of envisioned making and selling stuff as a side gig at one point.

Instruments! This is one area that is sadly neglected here. Thanks!
childcaremom 04:50 AM 05-02-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have pretty much everything you described too but I also have a large floor mirror (they LOVE looking at themselves) a toddler table and chairs and a climber.
Love the idea of a mirror. Not sure where to get one, though, that I can afford. I think I've seen them, but from the US, which would cost me a small fortune in duties and taxes.
Indianadaycare 04:05 PM 08-27-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
Love the idea of a mirror. Not sure where to get one, though, that I can afford. I think I've seen them, but from the US, which would cost me a small fortune in duties and taxes.
I'm getting mine at Home Depot. (online only) Acrylic; way cheaper and several sizes to choose from!
Indianadaycare 04:12 PM 08-27-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
BC, what climber do you have? I've wanted these foam large pieces for climbing...
http://www.amazon.com/Constructive-P.../dp/B0010AN0JC
Max 01:57 AM 05-17-2017
You guys, this page/thread should come with a warning

Seriously I'm in love with so many of these wooden toys! And since I haven't purchased many toys yet, I feel like I can justify maxing out a credit card to get all these things
bklsmum 04:31 AM 05-17-2017
I have considered going to all wood toys but the expense is daunting. I have been picking up a few here and there as I find good deals.
Josiegirl 03:19 AM 08-11-2015
http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?category=16

I so wish I could afford stuff from this place. Love it!!!
Rockgirl 04:10 AM 08-11-2015
http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?category=16

I so wish I could afford stuff from this place. Love it!!!
Lots of beautiful things on there!
grateday 09:39 AM 08-22-2015
Check out this link I found:

https://naturalbabymama.wordpress.co...ys-no-plastic/

I know there is more out there but this is a wonderful list and breakdown.
Josiegirl 02:09 PM 08-27-2015
I absolutely love some of these toys on the sites mentioned. Do you think they're worth the money? Looking at them I sooo want to buy one nice thing at a time, as I can afford them and replace the crappy plastic toys I have. Just don't know if I can afford it.
I fell in love with the 4 earth elements block puzzle set. Can't remember how much it is (250+)but I know my eyes popped out of my head.
childcaremom 03:29 PM 08-27-2015
I absolutely love some of these toys on the sites mentioned. Do you think they're worth the money? Looking at them I sooo want to buy one nice thing at a time, as I can afford them and replace the crappy plastic toys I have. Just don't know if I can afford it.
I fell in love with the 4 earth elements block puzzle set. Can't remember how much it is (250+)but I know my eyes popped out of my head.
I bought a ton of natural toys when I first opened. Things I would not buy again include wooden cars. Hardly get used. So sad b/c they are so beautiful.

Having said that, everything else gets played with. Playsilks were the best investment. These are used all the time. Soft toys: bunting babies, waldorf dolls, etc are the second best. I have wooden play foods, kitchen accessories, tools, puzzles, etc. My husband and I made stacking toys that have held up really well. Wool balls (easy to make, too).

Check out etsy. I found some really unique items there. Some shops even offered a discount if I was making a purchase of a certain amount. I know they have the element toys on there.

I think they were worth the money. It was a huge expense but each pay I set some money aside to spend on toys. A bit here, a bit there. They are all heirloom quality and will last for a long time. And they make me happy to look at and be around Seems silly but I like being surrounded by natural items. Pleasing and soothing.
Rockgirl 04:09 AM 08-11-2015
They love to dump things at that age, so maybe some baskets of smaller items for dumping and filling.
skipper 02:01 PM 08-24-2018
I built a wooden climbing arch which they love.

I got rid of all my plastic a couple years ago....then it gradually crept back in waves. Finally cleared it out for good except for a collection of vintage Fisher Price (garage, houses, castle, etc)

Currently they are ALL obsessed with pipes. Regular old plumbing left over from building our houses. They are various sizes, shapes and width and provide hours of creative play. Plus they're easy to wash which is great.

Unfortunately they are ignoring all my lovely wooden and natural toys..... I probably could have saved a few bucks if I just took them to Home Depot and parked them in the plumbing aisle.......
ellisacoy 10:54 PM 10-08-2019
Best are to lose all plastic and possible sharp toys. I really enjoy getting some non-toxic crayons and pages and working with their imagination.
Leigh 06:36 AM 10-09-2019
Originally Posted by skipper:
I built a wooden climbing arch which they love.

I got rid of all my plastic a couple years ago....then it gradually crept back in waves. Finally cleared it out for good except for a collection of vintage Fisher Price (garage, houses, castle, etc)

Currently they are ALL obsessed with pipes. Regular old plumbing left over from building our houses. They are various sizes, shapes and width and provide hours of creative play. Plus they're easy to wash which is great.

Unfortunately they are ignoring all my lovely wooden and natural toys..... I probably could have saved a few bucks if I just took them to Home Depot and parked them in the plumbing aisle.......
What a great idea to use pipes! Mine at this age love cardboard boxes of all sized, mixing bowls, measuring cups, kitchen utensils, anything stackable, anything climbable, and toy tools (hammer, saw, especially screwdrivers), they like the play kitchen, but much prefer the food and utensils. They also love cleaning supplies (broom, vacuum, mop, small microfiber cloths that I found on Amazon, an empty spray bottle from Target...they love to "clean".

Yes, a trip to Home Depot with the kids would probably be heaven for them! When I have a repair project, I let them help, if possible. I have had 2 cabinets recently that needed the backs reinforced. We spend nearly 2 hours pounding nails into the cabinets (I started the nails, then gave them the hammer). Even the 18 month olds liked to do it.
Lovatic24 10:52 PM 03-12-2020
Here to add a small pickler triangle or pickler box, ball ramp, rocking/wobble board, large beads and string for lacing, Push toys (spinning flower or a wobbling duck) All of the Grimms brand toys, and a sensory walk wich is easy to make!
Tags:natural toys for 12 - 18 months, toy suggestions, toys - 1 year old
Reply Up