Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infants Outdoors
My Daycare 06:35 AM 06-07-2011
Can anyone post pictures or give ideas for an outdoor infant play area? I don't have a porch, but I do have plenty of grass & cement. I don't have a completely enclosed yard. Does anyone use outdoor rugs? Do they get hot?

How much space is enough for 2 crawlers?

I'm sure there are other threads. Can anyone link me to some?
Cat Herder 06:53 AM 06-07-2011
The cheapest, easiest way to make your own instant, temporary Infant play yard is to buy those resin/plastic wading pools and a play umbrella you can hammer into the ground beside it.

Use one for each infant and fill with their favorite toys. It is easy to clean and keeps them from "escaping" their safe zone. Easy storage for next year as well.

I like to fill them with ball pit balls the most. Easy clean up and the biggest bang for your buck.
Mom_of_two 11:32 AM 06-07-2011
my baby area outside:

ETA- it works very well! The red plastic has since faded, but the mats hold up over winter! I had a tent cover type thing over it but it broke in a storm, might put up again- helps keep the bird poo away!
Attached: 3na3k93l95V25U25S6a6e107e8b7a9fd91e9f.jpg (8.6 KB) 
Sunshine44 11:42 AM 06-07-2011
Mom of two- do you keep it up all the time? Take it down at night/weekends? Looks great.
Mom_of_two 11:56 AM 06-07-2011
Thanks- it is up all the time! Through all 4 seasons- filled with snow in the winter, lol. It has all faded a little, but still good! I do currently have a 14 month old who likes to try to push it around- am transitioning him to playing outside it with the bigger kids, but on occasion he needs to be contained. Has been nice- the little ones have space to play and not getting into things!
DCMom 12:05 PM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by Mom_of_two:
my baby area outside:

ETA- it works very well! The red plastic has since faded, but the mats hold up over winter! I had a tent cover type thing over it but it broke in a storm, might put up again- helps keep the bird poo away!
That's really nice!

My babies get a blanket in the shade and some toys, lol! If they are more mobile I have a walker on the patio that they get around in and if really need to corral them I break out my superyard. I don't leave anything up permanently.
DCMom 12:07 PM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
The cheapest, easiest way to make your own instant, temporary Infant play yard is to buy those resin/plastic wading pools and a play umbrella you can hammer into the ground beside it
This a really good idea, I never thought of doing that! I have two under the deck right now...
SandeeAR 12:14 PM 06-07-2011
my baby area outside:

So it never moves? So the grass is just dead in that area?
Mom_of_two 12:43 PM 06-07-2011
Yep, grass is dead. So when we move we will have to re seed it. That is the drawback, I suppose, but worth it for me. Not hard to grow grass! Once I made the mistake of lifting up one of the mats- EW! bugs, worms- lots going on under there, lol.
My Daycare 01:37 PM 06-07-2011
Mom of Two - Where did you get the gates? Your idea looks perfect for my very movable infant.

Catherder - That's perfect! I ordered some of the pools and balls today!

Great ideas! Thanks!
JenNJ 01:56 PM 06-07-2011
Am I the only one which just plops them in the grass? LOL. As soon as they are able to sit unassisted I just let them play on the lawn.
kidkair 02:45 PM 06-07-2011
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
Am I the only one which just plops them in the grass? LOL. As soon as they are able to sit unassisted I just let them play on the lawn.
I do it too!
DaycareMama 03:45 PM 06-07-2011
my baby area outside:

Are those the mats from Sams? I just bought them myself and wondered how they would hold up outside with the rain and other weather. Great baby area!
SandeeAR 03:59 PM 06-07-2011
My problem with "young crawlers" is my yard. We moved in Jan, this year. They back yard has many pine trees. It had not been raked in 13 years (according to the neighbor next door). So we have very little grass, just an area about 10' wide, close to the house.

Most of my yard is dirt with the bits and pieces of left over pine needles. The littles are constantly trying to eat it. So I need some place to put them until they are old enough to know not to "eat the ground"
SimpleMom 05:08 PM 06-07-2011
Nope! I do as well Once they are old enough to move around then they do that, too I have a play yard, but most my older infants don't like to be contained. I have the pack and play for really young kiddos as well.
Abigail 07:35 PM 06-07-2011
Those larger foam mats can be purchased from Sam's Club. That is where my daycare purchased them from! I'm not a huge fan, but using them outside on the cement in partial shade with a "fence" would be perfect for one or two infants old enough to crawl around. Neat idea to use the mats outside! I wouldn't want them on the grass because I re-arrange things outside as much as I do inside, LOL.
My Daycare 09:46 PM 06-07-2011
I wish I could. I am now, but one of my infants is too mobile and there are too many things that he keeps trying getting into. Such as my driveway, the neighbors driveway, loose grass, sandbox (no lawn bag), garden, ladders, air conditioner, bushes, secret passage to 2 doors down ect... dkk needs constant redirecting outside.

I think with a large gate & mat with lots of toys inside will give me the opportunity to stay outside longer, and let them each explore & learn on the outside of the gates one at a time.

I am new and only enrolling infants, so by enrolling them all at once I think I have to do things outdoors a little differently than I may do with less babies or my own children.

I can't wait to get more organized outdoors. It's no fun now.
kidkair 05:25 AM 06-08-2011
Originally Posted by My Daycare:
I wish I could. I am now, but one of my infants is too mobile and there are too many things that he keeps trying getting into. Such as my driveway, the neighbors driveway, loose grass, sandbox (no lawn bag), garden, ladders, air conditioner, bushes, secret passage to 2 doors down ect... dkk needs constant redirecting outside.

I think with a large gate & mat with lots of toys inside will give me the opportunity to stay outside longer, and let them each explore & learn on the outside of the gates one at a time.

I am new and only enrolling infants, so by enrolling them all at once I think I have to do things outdoors a little differently than I may do with less babies or my own children.

I can't wait to get more organized outdoors. It's no fun now.
I only have one infant and one toddler at most at a time all the rest are older kids. I can wear the baby and redirect the toddler like crazy. I keep a pnp nearby for crawlers to I have a place to keep the same in an emergency.
Mom_of_two 06:55 AM 06-08-2011
I ordered everything online. Don't remember where but if you google infant gate/play yard etc you will find them. The plastic gate is two sets that attach. It has been a great set up for us! Our yard is big and when the big kids run and swing the infants still have plenty of room and I don't have to chase them around.

attached a pic yesterday- you can see it faded, but has been up since 2009!
Attached: IMG00512-20110607-1611.jpg (176.8 KB) 
blueclouds29 08:57 AM 06-08-2011
I just LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of the mats outside. I read on Sams that they are are for use outside and inside BUT are they slippery when wet? I would use it for water play cause the deck gets too hot!
DaycareMama 09:09 AM 06-08-2011
I ordered everything online. Don't remember where but if you google infant gate/play yard etc you will find them. The plastic gate is two sets that attach. It has been a great set up for us! Our yard is big and when the big kids run and swing the infants still have plenty of room and I don't have to chase them around.

attached a pic yesterday- you can see it faded, but has been up since 2009!
Thank you for the updated photo and info. Faded doesn't really bother me. But knowing that they held up is comforting. I do think I will be recreating your area Very nice. I have 2 who eat EVERYTHING outside! and this will help a great deal
Mom_of_two 10:12 AM 06-08-2011
Glad I could help! Pot a pic when you're done! Love sharing ideas, as long as you don't live up the street from me-haha.
DaycareMama 10:31 AM 06-08-2011
Nowhere even close lol Will post pics for sure.
SandeeAR 04:42 PM 06-08-2011
BTW, those mats are available at Lowes too.
Tags:outdoor equipment, outdoor play
Reply Up