Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Maternity Leave.. For Me...
blueclouds29 08:35 AM 09-02-2011
We are trying to get pregnant and i was just wondering if you guys have something in your contract about YOU have maternity leave. I think i might just do 2-3 weeks and that's it. But what's in your contract??
Zoe 10:56 AM 09-02-2011
I don't have anything in my contract because I'm DONE having kids. But if I were trying to get pregnant, or were already pregnant while interviewing for spots, I would have something in there giving the parents a heads-up about when the baby is due (or just give notice that you are trying to get pregnant). Also, add in that when the time comes how much time you are taking off. I've heard many different time frames from no maternity leave to 6 weeks. Personally, I would take at least 2 weeks to get time to bond with your baby.

I hope everything works out well for you!
MichellesKiddos 11:12 AM 09-02-2011
We are also trying to get pregnant and I've been thinking for quite some time now how long of a leave I should take. I don't currently have anything in my handbook regarding this issue. I figured when the time comes that I am pregnant and am ready to let the dcp's know about it AND know how long of a leave I'm taking, I'll send letters home with everyone stating what my plan is. Personally, I'm going to take at least 2 weeks but I'm not sure if I'll take much more time after that (I would LOVE to however)
KEG123 12:08 PM 09-02-2011
I'm taking two weeks here. I'd like to take more, but basically, I'm using my two weeks vacation time as unpaid since both of my families started in may and I'm due in October. Next calander year, my vacation time is to be paid 1/2 weekly rate.
Holladee 12:17 PM 09-02-2011
I don't have anything in my contract, but I'm due in October and only taking 2 1/2 weeks. I didn't open until the end of August (and I only take teacher's kids) so I knew getting kids would be an issue if I took a long maternity leave. I think if I had been open for quite some time and had families that I knew would want to stick around I would've taken at least four weeks.

I am taking maternity leave unpaid.
skittles 06:26 PM 09-02-2011
I took two weeks unpaid leave six years ago when I had my son. I planned on doing the same last year but ended up taking 6 weeks due to an emergency with my labor. I provided a sub and all my families were very understanding. So it is always good to have an emergency plan when you are thinking of a medical leave because sometimes things change. I also went 6 weeks without pay and we are still recovering from it financially.
Abigail 08:38 PM 09-02-2011
Did any of you have anything in your handbooks or contract about this though? I'm thinking if you have in your contract that you'll take X days paid for personal reasons and additional time after is unpaid. That should cover it right? I don't have any kids yet, but plan to have some in the next 2-3 years.
Reply Up